2017 Sierra Vibration Issues and Resolution

I own a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali with 6.2L w/ 8-speed trans. For a few months now I've been experiencing intermittent vibration that was very noticeable in the steering wheel, almost like a rumble strip type of vibration. It only happened on light acceleration and when the transmission was fully warmed up. I brought it to my local GMC dealer to have them look at it. They couldn't find anything wrong with it and gave me the normal BS answer that it was operating normally.

I let another 2 weeks pass before I got pissed off again and brought it to another GMC dealer. This time, I had a tech go with me for a ride and he could clearly see and feel the vibration I was talking about. The service manager said he would call GM and hopefully get a fix for this.

So after 2 days in the shop, I got my truck back. Apparently the transmission was overfilled from the factory causing excess foaming in the fluid which can cause shuddering. GM instructed the dealer to do a double flush of the tranny and replace the filter. So far so good, I haven't felt anything and shifting feels smoother. I know there was a TSB about this for '15-'16 models, but the dealer told me that there was an update in Feb. 2017 that applies to my truck. I didn't get to see it so I can't tell you what the TSB # is.

Anyhow, I thought I would pass this along to anyone else experiencing this issue. I know how frustrating this stuff can be so passing info like this along I hope will help someone else.

• Like 3

Apparently the transmission was overfilled from the factory causing excess foaming in the fluid which can cause shuddering. GM instructed the dealer to do a double flush of the tranny and replace the filter. So far so good, I haven't felt anything and shifting feels smoother.

That is pretty remarkable that an excess of trans fluid could cause a vibration in the steering wheel.

Good luck with the fix! :thumbs:

• 2 years later...

I have a 2017 GMC Sierra, 6.2 w/ 8 speed, that also has a bad vibration while going about 50-70 mph. It started at about 25k miles, and it was after I had a tire alignment. The vibration described above is similar to my vibration, and that it feels like a rumble strip while going full speed. Things that I have notice along with this vibration: it usually only happens on very smooth road while at a constant speed, and at those speeds I can see a very rhythmic rpm uptick of about 50-100 rpm every couple of seconds wether it does vibrate or not. I’ve got an appointment for it since I’m still on warranty.

• 5 months later...
On 4/6/2017 at 10:26 PM, shadowmn said:

I own a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali with 6.2L w/ 8-speed trans. For a few months now I've been experiencing intermittent vibration that was very noticeable in the steering wheel, almost like a rumble strip type of vibration. It only happened on light acceleration and when the transmission was fully warmed up. I brought it to my local GMC dealer to have them look at it. They couldn't find anything wrong with it and gave me the normal BS answer that it was operating normally.

I let another 2 weeks pass before I got pissed off again and brought it to another GMC dealer. This time, I had a tech go with me for a ride and he could clearly see and feel the vibration I was talking about. The service manager said he would call GM and hopefully get a fix for this.

So after 2 days in the shop, I got my truck back. Apparently the transmission was overfilled from the factory causing excess foaming in the fluid which can cause shuddering. GM instructed the dealer to do a double flush of the tranny and replace the filter. So far so good, I haven't felt anything and shifting feels smoother. I know there was a TSB about this for '15-'16 models, but the dealer told me that there was an update in Feb. 2017 that applies to my truck. I didn't get to see it so I can't tell you what the TSB # is.

Anyhow, I thought I would pass this along to anyone else experiencing this issue. I know how frustrating this stuff can be so passing info like this along I hope will help someone else.

On 4/6/2017 at 10:26 PM, shadowmn said:

Did this actually work? I just bought a 2017 Sierra and it is doing the occasional rumble strip feeling...

Exact same thing on my 2017.  There's several topics on this, read through the thread below and that should answer most of your questions.  Here is a link to the TSB which was updated in Feb. 2019.

Edited by reardiff

On 1/19/2020 at 10:35 AM, Jesse Goetsch said:

I have a 2017 GMC Sierra, 6.2 w/ 8 speed, that also has a bad vibration while going about 50-70 mph. It started at about 25k miles, and it was after I had a tire alignment. The vibration described above is similar to my vibration, and that it feels like a rumble strip while going full speed. Things that I have notice along with this vibration: it usually only happens on very smooth road while at a constant speed, and at those speeds I can see a very rhythmic rpm uptick of about 50-100 rpm every couple of seconds wether it does vibrate or not. I’ve got an appointment for it since I’m still on warranty.

Did you ever find a fix for this?

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2020 at 5:12 PM, Gooch g said:

Same person but it wouldn't sign me into my other account btw.

My 2018 GMC Sierra is doing this same thing to me. It feels like I am hitting a rumble strip happens the most around 60 mph and 35 mph. I am no car/truck guy, is getting this fluid flushed and refilled expensive? Is it likely this is what my problem is?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2020 at 1:32 PM, montecarlo104 said:

My 2017 Sierra 1500 Denali 4WD started slightly shuttering only intermittently around 42,000 miles. Now at 47,500 it has become unbearable and I have to downshift into 7th gear. Going into dealer next Monday, we will see what they say.

Sounds like the old TCC shudder - Make sure they're aware of 16-NA-355 - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163890-9999.pdf

They'll likely need to flush transmission fluid.  If your TCC is shot, procedure is to flush first and see if it comes back and if so likely replace TCC.

Around 1250RPM the torque converter doesn't completely lock, its pulsated and light acceleration causes a bit of slippage with the old transmission fluid due to moisture in the fluid.  It can also be exacerbated by AFM kicking on and off around the same RPM.  You'll get a different shudder when it switches and M7 typically deactivates AFM.

2 minutes ago, montecarlo104 said:

since and not one shudder yet

Awesome, yeah I'm nearly 2 years in on mine since the new fluid and its been great!  I started having this issue when it was first documented as PIP5337A (they went half way up the alphabet on revisions).