As part of the deal I made in ordering my new Silverado was that I was guaranteed a bonus tag at delivery. The signed paperwork indicated so and said I would also receive any/all applicable/stackable rebates at the time of delivery. Now that the truck has arrived the dealer (sales manager) says I am entitled to the bonus tag only as it is a "stand alone" rebate. What he says, essentially, is that the bonus tag precludes any/all other rebates. Now, this is a nice, attractive rebate but I thought I was going to get the "regular" rebates for the month as well. In other words, the part about the other rebates in the paperwork was a mistake. Am I being handed a load of crap?

You fell for the old bait and switch "toe tag" sale. Don't do it. The deals are much better if you skip the toe tag offer and take the standard 20%-25% off MSRP.

Hardly - didn't fall for anything. Reread the post and see if you can find where the bonus tag was "part" of the deal. Between the negotiated price and the tag I realized 20%+ discount from MSRP, including dealer fees. Several thousand dollars in bonus tag did beat the #1,500 incentive. And this was on a factory fresh Silverado DC LTZ, not a leftover Sierra CC SLE.

Apparently, not all "bonus tags" are created equal. Dealer told me that the "cash" ones also get current incentives, but the "percentage off" ones are stand alone. Of course, this is a dealer talking -------------

• 4 weeks later...

Does anybody know how much of the 20% discount tag is paid by the dealer? I suspect some is absorbed by the dealer. Otherwise in theory you could get the 20% gm tag and another 20% from the dealer. Not going to get 40% off the sticker. But can you get another 5-7% off?

Archived