Fuel injector replacement

When I did my heads a cam on my L86 they where so stuck it took me and my neighbor which is a mountain of a man to get them out.  After 120k miles they weren't coming out.  Two bent fuel rails and two ruined injectors we got them out.

Here is a really good video on how to get the new injector seals on with out any special tool.  I had to remove my rails a couple times because I kept failing HPFP because of the 32% fuel lobe and the wrong lash cap TSP recommends for my 6.2 but that's another story. 

The seals are really easy to blow out if you don't get the seal on really tight.  "Ask me how I know"  They stretch once you slide them on and need to be shrunk back down.

• 1 month later...

I've been having the same problem with my 2015 Silverado. The dealership wanted $1,200 for two fuel injectors. I asked why a drivetrain component wasnt covered under my 100k warranty and they claim that GM classifies a fuel injector as an electrical component so they wouldnt be covering it. I asked the man at the dealership if he by chance gets an electric bill for his gas usage at home... he didnt seem to think it was that funny for some reason. I've tried every possible fuel injector cleaner I can find in store and it hasnt seemed to make a difference so unfortunately I'll have to replace them at some point but needless to say GM is really screwing people over on this one 

Edited by Unhappy with general motor

It's not that bad of a job.  The hardest part is getting the three clips for the wire harness.  That is attached to the back of the intake manifold.

I found it was easiest to unbolt the intake manifold. Then shift it as far over as you can to the drivers side of the engine bay.  There will be some slack in the wiring harness so It will move a good little bit.  Then you can reach you hand in behind the intake with a small trim tool or flat head screw driver and pop the three clips out of the back of the intake manifold.  Then never use those basters again.

On 5/3/2017 at 4:01 PM, bronco351 said:

My CEL came on a couple of weeks ago. P050D: cold start rough idle. I cleared it, and took it to the dealer when it came back. They charged me $190 to tell me that it is the #7 fuel injector and is no longer covered by warranty. They quoted me about $800 to replace it. Another mechanic quoted me $360. How hard would this be to replace myself? Or is this something that is best sent to a mechanic?

Just curious as to what your maintenance or scheduling of Fuel injector cleaners were?  Once in awhile? Never? every 3k?  etc.  Thanks for the feedback sorry about the situation at hand too.

• 3 weeks later...
I've been having the same problem with my 2015 Silverado. The dealership wanted $1,200 for two fuel injectors. I asked why a drivetrain component wasnt covered under my 100k warranty and they claim that GM classifies a fuel injector as an electrical component so they wouldnt be covering it. I asked the man at the dealership if he by chance gets an electric bill for his gas usage at home... he didnt seem to think it was that funny for some reason. I've tried every possible fuel injector cleaner I can find in store and it hasnt seemed to make a difference so unfortunately I'll have to replace them at some point but needless to say GM is really screwing people over on this one 
Injector cleaner won't fix it because it's usually the compression seals that fail and causes low compression on that cylinder. When running open the hood and listen for a popping noise.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

About the high pressure injector feed lines:

Service bulletin says they HAVE to be replaced anytime they are removed or even if the fittings are just loosened.

Does anyone know WHY? I had to replace a lifter and after putting everything back together with NEW feed lines I found out I had damaged an injector so everything came back apart, including the feed lines. They only had like 15 minutes of runtime on them.

After replacing the injector I'm now faced with buying new lines for the second time? I don't understand why...

What are the risks of reusing the new ones I had on there for like 15 minutes? Is it leaks they are worried about? Since the Service Bulletin mentions replacing them if the fittings are even just loosened it makes me think GM is worried about leaks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!