wiper relay location

My wipers failed working, and I was able to get them repaired via warranty. Just as another member on this this forum, the repair required the replacement of the fuse panel of my truck (2016 sierra SLT with the 6.2 and max tow).

The upfitters manual shows the washer circuit in perfect detail and has two relays (motor and speed).. I figured the relay failed, no biggie. The problem is that the relay is not a plug in relay in the fuse panel like you would expect. I think this is a TERRIBLE design on GMs part

Has anyone replaced their fuse panel on their own outside of warranty and then able to actually keep their damaged fuse panel?

I would like to know where these relays are in this panel and if they are repairable. (I am an electronics technician and can work on soldered on components if that is what this is)

I think these are solid state opto-isolators (which can be TINY!!) If anyone has pictures of the tore apart fuse panel that would be great in case this happens again out of warranty.

Thank you all in advance

• 1 year later...

I did not do the replacement as it was under warranty. They removed the upper part of the fuse box on the drivers side.

There is some circuity in the fuse block and the relay that is pictured in the schematic is actually solid state and not user serviceable. It is inside the fuse block. good news it its not super expensive to replace

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2018 at 10:57 AM, Lamby66 said:

I did not do the replacement as it was under warranty. They removed the upper part of the fuse box on the drivers side.

There is some circuity in the fuse block and the relay that is pictured in the schematic is actually solid state and not user serviceable. It is inside the fuse block. good news it its not super expensive to replace

Hi, Mike. I"m happy to hear your Sierra's wipers are back online. If you have any other concerns/questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us via private message. Thanks!

Anthony J.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a very similar issue, 2015 Silveraldo, I removed the fuse block and disassembled it and tested which relays belong to the wipers. I think there is at least 2 relays but I can only find continuity between the load side of the wiper fuse and common of 1 relay. I am looking for more info from someone or a link to a wiring schematic or wiring diagram

• 2 years later...

I just got a 2015 Silverado and the wipers stopped coming on all together, when turn the switch on it turns on the head lights wipers do nothing. would anyone know could this be a relay issue, or the motor just stopped? fuse has power, did not get to investigate farther. any tips or advice would be appreciated. 

• 4 months later...

I am also having  wiper  issues? I have a 2016 Silverado 1500 WT , I have checked all fuses and I can't  find  where the relays are? My washer fluid  works so what could be the problem? The light on the dash that shows headlights come on when I  turn the wipers on but no movement at all? I am confused 

Did you check in the engine compartment fuse block? On my 2016, it shows the wipers are fuse #24 inside the fuse box under the hood. It's located in drivers side rear. 

Screenshot_20231204_014506_Brave.thumb.jpg.150da7a337bb2e5a355ee8f2b194334b.jpg

Taken from here: https://www.startmycar.com/chevrolet/silverado-1500/info/fusebox/2016

Edited by mikeyk101
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I started by checking the 30A Fuse No. F52 under hood fuse block. Verified Fuse was good. Decided to grab my bi-directional scan tool and attempt to command the wiper motor and relays on. Relays clicked when requested. Did not hear the motor try to actuate at all. Found that the motor was inoperable and needed replaced.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I diagnosed the wipers on this 2017 Denali and it is the same as the Silverado and Sierra within at least 2014-2018 and maybe more year's models. The relays are NOT replaceable, so you have to either replace the underhood fuse/relay center or take it apart and de-solder the PCB relay and solder in a new one. Watch both videos to get a good understanding of the circuit and relays and how to repair the fuse/relay box.

Diagnosing and replacing the underhood relay center because wipers did not work.

Can the underhood relay/fuse center be repaired.

• Like 1