Dimming screen?

On my 15 you could dim the screen with reverse and then you couldn't see crap in the backup camera. If it stays lit fully, you can then see what the camera displays.

Mine is so bright you can't really see what's there. Everything looks white in the screen

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine is so bright you can't really see what's there. Everything looks white in the screen

Mine brightens in reverse so you can see the backup camera display. But it's not blinding - at least not enough that I've ever noticed it.

Edit: mine is a '17 Sierra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2017 Silverado does this. Blinded me for the first time last night. My 14 adjusted with the dash lights. Weird that they would change that. Probably a safety feature or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's most definitely NOT a safety 'feature' - it's a software glitch.

All 17's do this as far as I can see. Please report it directly to GM as a safety issue, I already have and am working with one of their reps. If they get enough feedback they'll have it reprogrammed. I talked to my dealer about it and there is nothing they can do beyond all agreeing "wow ya that's weird, we've never seen that! Interesting!" (useless).

You can see the system cranking screen brightness up to maximuim in the split second before it displays the backup image. Here's the video I sent to GM: https://goo.gl/photos/zTRMBqb3LNvuDSvc7

It's really, really annoying. I went from a '14 up to my '17 and this new programming makes the camera damn near unusable at night. It also makes it very difficult to see out your passenger side mirror because of the glare which is a safety issue.

Contact customer care! Don't let them pass this off as a 'feature' so they can save themselves a few bucks worth of programming time.

Canada: http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/corporate/about/contactus/overview

US: https://www.gmc.com/help/contact-us/form.html

It's most definitely NOT a safety 'feature' - it's a software glitch.

All 17's do this as far as I can see. Please report it directly to GM as a safety issue, I already have and am working with one of their reps. If they get enough feedback they'll have it reprogrammed. I talked to my dealer about it and there is nothing they can do beyond all agreeing "wow ya that's weird, we've never seen that! Interesting!" (useless).

You can see the system cranking screen brightness up to maximuim in the split second before it displays the backup image. Here's the video I sent to GM: https://goo.gl/photos/zTRMBqb3LNvuDSvc7

It's really, really annoying. I went from a '14 up to my '17 and this new programming makes the camera damn near unusable at night. It also makes it very difficult to see out your passenger side mirror because of the glare which is a safety issue.

Contact customer care! Don't let them pass this off as a 'feature' so they can save themselves a few bucks worth of programming time.

Canada: http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/corporate/about/contactus/overview

US: https://www.gmc.com/help/contact-us/form.html

Mine does the exact same thing. I'm taking in for the first oil change next week. We'll see what they have to say

Mine does the exact same thing. I'm taking in for the first oil change next week. We'll see what they have to say

I just got off the phone with GM and they closed my case by concluding it's a normal characteristic of the vehicles. They basically told me they won't look into a fix until they hear more people complaining about it, so don't be afraid to make some noise!

The only thing "normal" about it is that all of the 2017 trucks are broken in the same way.

I called this morning about it also....the call takers were "let me look in the manual". Meanwhile I'm going to cut a piece of black sheer nylon to use as a cover.

I switched my reverse bulbs to leds today and the screen doesn't light up as bright anymore. The leds are way brighter and put more light on the ground but for some reason the screen is dimmer than before

I switched my reverse bulbs to leds today and the screen doesn't light up as bright anymore. The leds are way brighter and put more light on the ground but for some reason the screen is dimmer than before

If you watch the video I linked a few posts up it clearly shows that the screen brightness changes before it displays the camera image. I don't think bulb brightness makes a difference. Maybe the ambient light was different between the two times you looked at it?

If you watch the video I linked a few posts up it clearly shows that the screen brightness changes before it displays the camera image. I don't think bulb brightness makes a difference. Maybe the ambient light was different between the two times you looked at it?

I tested it in the same spot and it is definitely not as bright. I think maybe since there is more light on the ground the camera doesn't wash out the image as much to see what's there.

I tested it in the same spot and it is definitely not as bright. I think maybe since there is more light on the ground the camera doesn't wash out the image as much to see what's there.

Can you confirm whether or not you see the screen brightness adjusting before the backup camera image is displayed? In mine I can see it switching in the split second before.

Can you confirm whether or not you see the screen brightness adjusting before the backup camera image is displayed? In mine I can see it switching in the split second before.

Yes. It's like a quick flash right before the image is displayed. It still does it but it's not as bright anymore

Hmm I have not driven at night much so far but after watching the video I will watch out for this. I wonder if in the location of your video if the trucks system picked up the garage lighting and thought you needed more brightness due to the ambient lighting (it thought that it was daylight conditions?)

Have you tried this out in the actual dark outside the parking garage yet?

Hmm I have not driven at night much so far but after watching the video I will watch out for this. I wonder if in the location of your video if the trucks system picked up the garage lighting and thought you needed more brightness due to the ambient lighting (it thought that it was daylight conditions?)

Have you tried this out in the actual dark outside the parking garage yet?

I have. The screen adjusts to maximum brightness in all conditions and no matter what the manual dash brightness is set to, you just don't notice it in bright daylight (because it's actually appropriately bright in those conditions).

The parkade is dim enough to turn on the headlights so the vehicle thinks it's dark.

10-4 thanks for the clarification on that, I wanted to make sure I was watching for the right thing as I have not noticed this on my 17 (only had a short time and never really drove much at night yet)) and never noticed it on my 16 Denali either though so if the 17 does it I will take note. These things are supposed to improve not go backwards LOL.

Archived