Dimming screen?

10-4 thanks for the clarification on that, I wanted to make sure I was watching for the right thing as I have not noticed this on my 17 (only had a short time and never really drove much at night yet)) and never noticed it on my 16 Denali either though so if the 17 does it I will take note. These things are supposed to improve not go backwards LOL.

'14, '15, and '16s don't do it, even though the infotainment and backup camera system is practically identical. I came from a '14 SLT and it definitely didn't do this. The problem is unique to the 2017 Sierras and Silverados.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the same issue with my 2017 Silverado. After a few weeks of being annoyed by the brightness of the screen, I called my service department. I had to convince them nothing I tried would dim the screen, and even had to send a video to the service manager to show how bright it gets. 

Fast forward to the day of the appointment. They look at my truck, say there is nothing they can do, and write the cause up as "customer has tinted windows" which was preventing seeing out the windows.  I told them that was not the case,  as I just had the windows done a few days before the appointment, and I noticed it before the tint. I even mentioned upon checking forums, that others mentioned the problem. 

They did research with GM, and apparently they did have a documented issue, and were waiting for a software update to fix, and they would call me when the update was available. 

After a couple months, I got a call that thw fix was available, and I am going to have my truck updated tomorrow. Hopefully this fixes the issue. 

Traded my 14 Silverado in a 17 Silverado last September, the screen brightness was blinding to me at night.

Took the 17 in on Monday for the software update, all is good now!

Thanks to this site, I knew the 2017 Silverado's had this issue, to bad GM couldn't follow up with their customers, guess there too busy building new trucks?

Just returned home from the dealer. Fixed, I hope.  Thanks for informing me that this is a known issue.  I'll update tonight after I try it out; for now I just wanted to give a minor update on what I found out.

FYI: They took my truck in and in 45 minutes or so it was returned to me with this comment from the tech:

" See Bulletin 17-NA-269: Rear Camera Screen Bright At Night Reprogram Radio Controls".  Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the bulletin itself.

Unrelated info but I changed out my reverse bulbs to the LED's (Sylvania Zevo 921's), which look awesome, but don't seem to provide any additional lighting.

Hope this helps.  

My '15 stays dimmed down when I put it in reverse.  I only wish that I could dim my interior lights, displays 50% further at night, lowest level is still a little too bright for my liking.

I recently purchased a new 2017 Silverado. I have purchased at least 20 vehicles  from the same dealership since 1990. I  know that GM is aware of the problem with the backup camera in the 2017 being too bright at night and that you cannot see out the mirrors. I traded a 2015 in on this vehicle. The 2017 camera does not adjust with the dimmer switch at night as it should. GM's fix for this is to re flash the module. The only thing this accomplished is to limit the background lighting of the dash and infotainment system. The ambient light censer is not sensitive enough to ambient light so the dash and infotainment screen is not bright enough when the sun hits the infotainment system screen but does not hit the censer, or when it is cloudy out. This is a real problem. I also noticed that there is no setting for day, night or automatic for the infotainment screen as there was on all my previous vehicles. I would rather deal with the bright camera. I have read here on this topic that The August flash fixes this problem. I had my truck re flashed in November of this year. As I stated above it only limited the background lighting. No dimming with dimmer. Can anyone confirm that the latest firmware flash allows us to use the dimmer for the back up camera? I know the main screen dims with switch. I wonder if this is really a hardware problem.

1 hour ago, JR777 said:

I recently purchased a new 2017 Silverado. I have purchased at least 20 vehicles  from the same dealership since 1990. I  know that GM is aware of the problem with the backup camera in the 2017 being too bright at night and that you cannot see out the mirrors. I traded a 2015 in on this vehicle. The 2017 camera does not adjust with the dimmer switch at night as it should. GM's fix for this is to re flash the module. The only thing this accomplished is to limit the background lighting of the dash and infotainment system. The ambient light censer is not sensitive enough to ambient light so the dash and infotainment screen is not bright enough when the sun hits the infotainment system screen but does not hit the censer, or when it is cloudy out. This is a real problem. I also noticed that there is no setting for day, night or automatic for the infotainment screen as there was on all my previous vehicles. I would rather deal with the bright camera. I have read here on this topic that The August flash fixes this problem. I had my truck re flashed in November of this year. As I stated above it only limited the background lighting. No dimming with dimmer. Can anyone confirm that the latest firmware flash allows us to use the dimmer for the back up camera? I know the main screen dims with switch. I wonder if this is really a hardware problem.

Make sure the dealer applies Bulletin 17-NA-269.  That seems to be fixing it for most people.

1 hour ago, JR777 said:

I had this done back in august and my back-up camera now dims with the rest

2 hours ago, JR777 said:

I haven't taken mine in yet, but I believe it to be a software issue.  It gets crazy bright when I shift into R.  But gets much more reasonable in the 2 or 3 seconds that I bump into N before going into D.   I would think if it were hardware it wouldn't dim down for that second or two.  

Looks like I’ll be making a trip to the dealership before my first free oil change.  This is one of the very first issues I noticed on my 2017 Silverado.  The night I brought it home I backed it into the driveway and was blinded by the back up camera display.  Silly me, I was trying to use the mirrors to back it in and couldn’t really see out the passenger side.  Since mine has a March 2017 build date, I guess I’ll have them check for the transmission software update too.  Maybe I can get my two biggest annoyances taken care of with one trip.  

Archived