IO3 and backup camera

I know this has been talked about but I can't find an answer after searching. I have the IO3 radio. I originally believed it was not possible to add a backup camera without aftermarket equipment or upgrading to the IO4 and up. However that seems to be incorrect. After speaking to a family member who has the same truck as me, I found out their truck came from the factory with a backup camera. I assumed they had the IO4 but they showed me they have an IO3. They gave me their camera because they put in an aftermarket system. Their radio is already sold otherwise I would take the radio and put it in mine.

Here's my question, has anyone here had the dealership program a backup camera with an IO3 radio? I'm not asking if it can be done because I now have proof it can be.This family member has an IO3 without an hmi or any special after market devices. I just have not had success in getting a dealer to say yes to programming it, all of them say they can't. Anyone who has had this done, what did the dealer do exactly so I can tell my dealer? There's no good info out there about this.

Dealer will not program it for you as there is no activation code as well due to the fact you didn't buy the truck with it, now that being said Mvi autospa can help you out, you need to have an new hmi in order for it to work

• 1 year later...
On 7/2/2017 at 7:10 PM, 14_silverado said:

I know this has been talked about but I can't find an answer after searching. I have the IO3 radio. I originally believed it was not possible to add a backup camera without aftermarket equipment or upgrading to the IO4 and up. However that seems to be incorrect. After speaking to a family member who has the same truck as me, I found out their truck came from the factory with a backup camera. I assumed they had the IO4 but they showed me they have an IO3. They gave me their camera because they put in an aftermarket system. Their radio is already sold otherwise I would take the radio and put it in mine.

Here's my question, has anyone here had the dealership program a backup camera with an IO3 radio? I'm not asking if it can be done because I now have proof it can be.This family member has an IO3 without an hmi or any special after market devices. I just have not had success in getting a dealer to say yes to programming it, all of them say they can't. Anyone who has had this done, what did the dealer do exactly so I can tell my dealer? There's no good info out there about this.

Get a copy of https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/883/UI Bulletin_127L.pdf.  Show it to your dealer.

I have a 2016 Silverado WT with the IO3 radio and today I took a printout of the above PDF with me to my local dealer to have the IO3 radio reprogrammed. 

I offered the above 3-page PDF hard copy to the tech who had the work order.  He accepted the PDF, and 45 minutes later my IO3 radio now has a working fully integrated backup camera image. 

See pics below.  Guide lines are not supported in the IO3 rear view camera image.  (I knew this before I ordered the parts.)

Also the tech updated my truck's configuration in GM's database so there will be no surprises down the road.

I had previously (yesterday) installed the camera model specified in the PDF for 2016 trucks together with a camera-ready latch assembly.  I needed two M4 Phillips screws to attach the camera assembly to the latch assembly.  For some reason the dealer could not provide these.  The screws (male) create their own female threads as they are screwed in to the plastic bosses on the back of the latch on both right and left sides of the camera. Use a toothpick to gauge how long of an M4 screw you can use without pushing thru to the outside of the latch.  I used two M4 screws that were about 1/2" long, from Ace Hardware.  $0.25 each.

The specified camera came with an extra leg on its electrical harness which I did not use.  The extra leg supports remote tailgate locking and since I didn't care for the loud locking noise associated with remote tailgate locking, I did not complicate the job by trying to expand the scope of the project to also add a remote tailgate lock.  Instead I just wrapped this extra leg back onto the main harness with 3 layers of electrical tape so it wouldn't dangle or provide an entrance for water and corrosion. 

I anchored this harness by pushing the provided anchor into one of the two holes in the sheet metal suitable for this purpose.  Then I routed the harness down through the holes in the tailgate sheet metal at the inside bottom, and then through the similar sized hole in the sheet metal of the bed, then along side an existing loom to the junction block where the camera ready 8-wire connector was capped with a dummy plug (to keep it clean).  I removed the dummy plug/cap, plugged in the new harness, and for the last step I zip tied it to the existing loom to keep it from dangling and to make it look professional.  Then today I took it to the dealer as I said above, and the project was completed.

camera 84062896

latch 84016231

dealer reprogram of IO3 radio

Total investment was about $290 including shipping of the camera and latch.  2nd and 3rd pictures show the field of view.  Truck was in same exact position for pics 2 and 3.

20181024_182627.jpg

20181024_182615.jpg

20181024_182541.jpg

20181024_180305.jpg

• 7 months later...

Sorry to dig up an old topic, but I wanted to chime in on a recent experience I had related to this.

I have a 2016 Silverado WT with I03 radio. No backup camera from the factory. I really wanted to add one that was integrated and glad to find this thread. So I ordered up the talgate handle bezel and the camera harness thanks to the part numbers provided by @mmmikkke

The camera was simple to install. Took like 10 minutes. Called up my  local dealership to get the radio programmed.

On the day of my appointment I dropped the truck off and got a ride home. A few hours later I got a call from the service writer with bad news. During the course of the programming, the new software bricked the radio module. And I would have to buy a new radio module. Great. How much does that cost? $600 + tax and labor. My jaw hit the floor. I told the service writer I need to talk with the service manager.

After some back and forth the best I was able to get the new module down to $289 plus tax. They would absorb the labor on reinstalling the new radio since they didn't tell me there was a risk of module failure on the original radio. I still had to pay for the original labor and the tech call to GM to get the programming from the first time when they fried the module though. So I left the dealer paying $582.98.

And on top of that....

$17 for the tailgate bezel

$99 for the camera and harness

So this little escapade cost me a grand total of $698.98 for an integrated OEM backup camera.

Bottom line, if you are wanting to do this upgrade on an I03 radio...think twice about it, maybe go aftermarket. Or it could end up costing you a pretty penny.

My dealer also did not warn of the possibility of bricking the radio.  And it was clear they hadn't done it before, because the technician gladly accepted my printout of the upfitter's guide.  Did you have a chance to mention (or provide them with) the upfitter's guide (referenced in my earlier post)?  Their assigning the risk to you implies that any upfitter following their instructions faces the same risk.  Something doesn't sound right.

1 hour ago, mmmikkke said:

My dealer also did not warn of the possibility of bricking the radio.  And it was clear they hadn't done it before, because the technician gladly accepted my printout of the upfitter's guide.  Did you have a chance to mention (or provide them with) the upfitter's guide (referenced in my earlier post)?  Their assigning the risk to you implies that any upfitter following their instructions faces the same risk.  Something doesn't sound right.

Yes, I provided the upfitters document from above. And they accepted it without question from the beginning. It wasn't until after the original radio module was fried that they came back to me and said there is a risk of permanent damage to the module. I had words with the Service Manager and said if there was any concern about the software they should have brought it up from the beginning. He told me that the software was not compatible with the radio and that must have been what fried it. Which I knew was BS, because the GM tech link software person told the dealership tech that the software WAS compatible. Otherwise the GM tech link software person would not have authorized the dealership to upload the software.

What makes me even more mad is once they got the new radio module, they would have to program that module with the new software again. Now after the original radio was fried, I was prepared to abandon the rear vision camera quest, and just put the truck back to stock. I told the service manager I wanted the truck to stock with the original radio programming. But since the GM tech link had already authorized the new software (with rear vision enabled) for my trucks VIN, they would have to use the new program. In order to go back to the stock program (without rear vision enabled) they would have to call back to GM tech link, get the original software put back to my VIN. Which was going to cost another $105 dollars.

After going round and round with the service manager he finally agreed that they would program the new radio module with the new software (with rear vision enabled). And if for some reason, this new software bricked the new module, they would cover the cost of a new radio module, but I would still be responsible for the cost to reprogram back to stock. Whatever, I said go ahead and do it. I need the truck back. At this point it had been at the dealership for over a week, and I need this truck for work.

After it was all said and done, the new module programmed fine, and the rear vision camera now works. Funny....because the service manager told me that the new software was not compatible with this radio (after they fried my original one). But it somehow worked flawlessly on the new radio module. I think the Chevy tech doing the programming did something wrong with the first download that fried the original module. Yet, they told me the cost of replacing the module was my responsibility. That was my biggest beef with this whole deal. They bricked the module. NOT me. And they did not warm me of any risks from the beginning, only after the fact.

After I picked the truck up yesterday I got a follow up call from the dealership customer satisfaction team, I explained the whole story and gave them a 1/10 on satisfaction. I told the agent, If I could give 0/10 I would. Granted the rear vision camera works as I originally set out to do, but at the tune of nearly $600 because of incompetence and miscommunication on their part.

My $290 install was 3 steps:  1. I installed the camera and plugged it in to the junction block/vehicle wiring.  2. I let a day go by just in case the radio needed to already know of the camera before accepting any camera add reflash.  I do not know if this mattered.  3. I took my truck to the dealer (I made an appointment) and they said they'd do it while I waited.  It was done in about 30 minutes.

Is there any chance the reflash failed because the camera was not plugged in and therefore was not yet recognized and did not respond to the reflash software?  I could imagine reflash software "hanging" if it could not see or communicate with the camera.  Hung reflash software is often what causes a brick.  The technician should be asked about this and any knowledge gained should be posted here if only to help the next guy.

Customer satisfaction teams have the power to make things right.  Refer them to GM's Upfitter's Guide.  Concede that you have no basis for a legal claim.  But then appeal to their sense of justice and ask for the outcome described in the Upfitter's Guide, without the unexpected expense of replacing your radio.  I hope they see this as "the right thing to do."

2 hours ago, fondupot said:

And if for some reason, this new software bricked the new module, they would cover the cost of a new radio module...

Sounds like they learned what NOT to do on their first try.

Yea, I still have an open case with Chevrolet corporate. And they called me yesterday. The rep said she was going to try and recoup some of the costs. We shall see what happens.

• 1 month later...
Yea, I still have an open case with Chevrolet corporate. And they called me yesterday. The rep said she was going to try and recoup some of the costs. We shall see what happens.

Oh man too bad I’m late to this party...I would have just upgraded your trucks to CarPlay/Android Auto much better faster system with camera lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If rekindling this thread prompts someone to consider adding an exterior camera to their truck, don't ignore the aftermarket options.  A few months ago I bought a wireless system from Amazon to give continuous view behind my travel trailer.  I was skeptical of having a 7" monitor on my  dash but not a problem. (I am sure others may find it annoying). I have since added a front licence plate camera and it is proving to be a nice help when pulling up to an obstacle.  The system can accommodate up to four wireless cameras and is able to record. The system c/w 2 wireless cameras and a third licence plate mount camera costs less than some members are spending on their OEM rear camera addition.  If you've driven a vehicle with a backup camera or sensors for several years, you will miss the feeling of added safety driving a vehicle without this option. Adding OEM is the cleanest way and will add value to your truck.  However, if money is a concern and you need rear-vision, economical alternatives are available!  OEM 360 is how all vehicles should come from the factory, imo!   

Edited by Donstar

• 1 month later...

So, after several months, and after leaving a 1 star review on the dealerships Google review. The General Manager from the store reached out to me and wanted to make things right. I ended up getting a refund on the replacement radio, around $300 back.

Chevrolet Corporate didn't help one bit.

But now the issue is resolved.

• 2 years later...