M/T Decision

revrnd

Looking @ getting a set of M/Ts for the truck. I've been surfing around the 'net & haven't been able to find anything negative about the tires. If you have experience w/ any of the listed style(s), Please list any pros or cons.

I know that they are loud & leave something to be desired when on wet pavement.

I've run a few sets the original tread pattern BFG M/Ts up until the KM2 redesign. Like others I'm not impressed w/ the KM2 pattern. They don't look a lot different than the A/Ts.

I've also run Gumbo Monster Mudders in the 80s so I've got a lot of miles under my belt w/ them.

Cooper Discoverer MTP

Cooper Discover STT

Cooper Discover STT Pro

Fierce Attitude M/T

Firestone Destination M/T

General Grabber X3

Hercules Trail Digger M/T

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3

Mickey Thompson Deegan 38

Nitto Trail Grappler M/T

I have HEARD of problems w/ this tire from a couple of separate people that had no experience w/ the tire. Is there anything to be concerned w/? I have compared the weights of them compared to other tires in my list & they are approx' 10# heavier.

Pro Comp Xtreme M/T 2

Toyo Open Country M/T

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Edited by revrnd

I use to have 35" Toyo Mts on my '07 Silverado, one of the best looking tires out there!
Also, they perform very well. Also, I had the BFG KO2s. 33" on my old truck. I highly liked them too.

If I was you, I've been hearing very good things about the Cooper STT Pros. Maybe you should check those out.
Also, check out the Nitto Ridge Grapplers, a lot of positive reviews too of them.
Kinda shocked more people hasn't commented on this thread.

I have never personally ran any of these tires, but been around people who has. I know that we use to run firestone MT on the brush trucks at the fire department. Never had a problem with them. Also, I believe you can never go wrong with Toyo or Cooper. Both solid brands.

I've had KM2s and currently run Dynapro MTs,both are great in mud and of course noisey on asphalt.The Dynapros seemed to do good in the heavy rain we had earlier this year.Had one KM2 tread separate from the carcass though and create a bulge with a good amount of tread left on and went to the Dynapros.My next set will be A/Ts as I'm ready for a little quieter ride now.

I'll comment on a tire I used in the past, Kumho Mud Kings. I had a set back in the '90s on a K1500. They were bought because they were about a hundred bucks (CDN) cheaper than the BFG M/Ts of the same size & looked to have a similar tread. The Kumhos were worn out in about a year & a half. I had never had a tire wear out that quickly. Usually I got about 45,000 miles on a set of the BFGs (about 3 years).

Not sure if they still offering it or not.

I've had others concur on this too about staying away from the Kumho brand.

Ran the Toyo MTs on my 2011 LML Duramax and they are a dang good MT tire. Pricier than most but the noise and wear is less compared to others. Traded truck and after 20K miles on the Toyos they were at 60%+ tread life remaining.

Parked near a (cough) F150 that had the Toyos on it the other day. Never spotted the owner. In hindsight I should've left a note under his wiper to ask them how they worked.

Edited by revrnd

Ran the Toyo MTs on my 2011 LML Duramax and they are a dang good MT tire. Pricier than most but the noise and wear is less compared to others. Traded truck and after 20K miles on the Toyos they were at 60%+ tread life remaining.

I think I've seen more of the ATs on trucks around here than the MTs. X2 on the price, theyre the most expensive on the list that I've gotten prices for.

Rev look at Onlinetires.com and Ebay. Got good pricing on the Toyos from these 2 sources previously. Even including shipping, mounting, and balancing ran way less than local tire places. Have heard Discount Tire will order them as well. Bottom line is compare pricing before you buy.

• 3 weeks later...

Rev look at Onlinetires.com and Ebay. Got good pricing on the Toyos from these 2 sources previously. Even including shipping, mounting, and balancing ran way less than local tire places. Have heard Discount Tire will order them as well. Bottom line is compare pricing before you buy.

X2

I have been getting quotes around here. I'm not sure about ordering tires from the US. Going from past experience, shipping & brokerage fees pretty much wipe out any savings. Plus our $ is worth only $.79 in your money. Plus I think I have to pay 13% sales tax on the items when they are imported.

I haven't heard of many doing online ordering of tires on this side of the border.

• 9 months later...
On 7/25/2017 at 11:36 AM, Sierra 5.3 said:

I have never personally ran any of these tires, but been around people who has. I know that we use to run firestone MT on the brush trucks at the fire department. Never had a problem with them. Also, I believe you can never go wrong with Toyo or Cooper. Both solid brands.

I was @ MIS last weekend & Chevy had the Carhartt concept Silverado HD among the display vehicles. It has the Destination MTs (35s I think) on it. I had never seen them before, but look like a decent mud tread.

5b2290b1739a9_20180608_SilveradoHDCarhartt-Copy.thumb.jpg.9e9817a06c22762d28b9ee933697fb46.jpg

5b228f37d9a4d_20180608_FirestoneDestinationMT-Copy.thumb.jpg.3b4217affa99a6349ad1474b4896507c.jpg

Back to my truck now. I ended up ordering Deegan 38s (stock size of LT265/70R17) a few weeks ago. The Canadian warehouse didn't have the size in stock & I had to wait for them to come from Cali'. Probably not a big call for that size LOL.

5b228f4fcff04_20180613_Deegan38s-Copy.thumb.jpg.30b34ca2f39ac45e3b30a83e01ac3b46.jpg

Slightly louder than the Transforce ATs the truck had from the factory, but nothing horrible for someone that has run Denman's Gumbo Monster Mudder in the past. 

Edited by revrnd