Towing discrepancy with 6.2l 3.42 rear diff

From the ratios, you would think the tow ratings on the 1500s with the 6.2L/8-speed/3.23 rear-end would be higher, but that still begs the question whether the 1500 should be rated so high when properly equipped. The truck just doesn't have the braking of the 2500 HD or 3500 HD.

When choosing a trailer, you should look at the TT GVWR rather than the dry weight (which, like curb weight is pretty meaningless). Take 15% as a maximum estimate of your tongue weight on the hitch. Weigh your truck at a CAT scale with a full tank of fuel, the hitch, you, and all of your passengers. Subtract your scale weight from the truck's GVWR and you have your payload. Add your scale weight to the TT GVWR. If it is less than your GCVWR, you are ok. If your calculated tongue weight is higher than the remaining payload, you need a tow vehicle with a higher payload rating or, you can load your trailer and tow it down to the scale and weight your truck-trailer combo with the weight-distributing spring bars off. That will tell you your actual tongue weigh. There are many nice, comfortable trailers that can be towed by a 1/2 ton like the 1500 Silverado/Sierra but you have to make choices and compromises. Look at the GVWR of the trailer while shopping. I wouldn't tow anything over about 7600 GVWR with a 1500. If you have a bunch of kids, you should get a 2500 or probably even a 3500.

I dont agree with this 100% the gvwr or total weight of a camper thats with your tanks full, and gear. 90% of people that pull these have there tanks empty. the fresh water tank, some fill that up, prior to leaving for boondocking (No hook ups.)

My camper is 32 single slide. dry weight of 6500lbs with 700lbs of hitch (probably more with propane tanks full?. Aside from road conditions the chevy in my sig did the job amazing it is a tad long for my truck but it does the job.. Currently i am probably still under 7k. But the trailers use is full time.

OP not sure if you got anything yet, but figure out what youre going to do with it (towing every month, cross country, etc.), and how many people is going to be going with you.

I dont agree with this 100% the gvwr or total weight of a camper thats with your tanks full, and gear. 90% of people that pull these have there tanks empty. the fresh water tank, some fill that up, prior to leaving for boondocking (No hook ups.)

My camper is 32 single slide. dry weight of 6500lbs with 700lbs of hitch (probably more with propane tanks full?. Aside from road conditions the chevy in my sig did the job amazing it is a tad long for my truck but it does the job.. Currently i am probably still under 7k. But the trailers use is full time.

OP not sure if you got anything yet, but figure out what youre going to do with it (towing every month, cross country, etc.), and how many people is going to be going with you.

When you say "the chevy in my sig did the job amazing", what are you comparing your truck to? A Chevy with the 6.0? A Toyota Tacoma? Dodge 1500 Hemi?

When you say "the chevy in my sig did the job amazing", what are you comparing your truck to? A Chevy with the 6.0? A Toyota Tacoma? Dodge 1500 Hemi?

another 1500 model cant really compare, since last truck I pulled with was a 96 ram 2500, but i was thinking that my truck wouldnt be able to lug around this trailer because everyone said you needed a 2500 but in fact half tons are better then they used to be.. I wouldnt want to add more length and weight thats for sure.

another 1500 model cant really compare, since last truck I pulled with was a 96 ram 2500, but i was thinking that my truck wouldnt be able to lug around this trailer because everyone said you needed a 2500 but in fact half tons are better then they used to be.. I wouldnt want to add more length and weight thats for sure.

Well it doesn't sound like it does:

Quote BlackhawkZ71:

Got a new 2018 travel trailer 32, dry weight was around 7k

Had a weight distribution hitch installed at the rv dealership. Truck had no sag on the rear for 700hitch probably more since the bottles were full..

She did good until i hit some hills. Running 55mph hit a hill and drop to 50mph on cruise ( I figured it would drop some gears but it dropped one and went up.) my instant mpg was 8.8mpg. got on the throttle hard (pulling out on to the highway) she moved pretty decent.

Overall not bad for a 5.3 thats where i doubted my chevy. I am glad i am not pulling it full time just to my spot and parked it until I decide to move. May invest in a programmer to help with pulling that thing around if i have to. Still may do it anyway:) but not in the cards just yet.

I was just wondering since in this thread it pulls great, and another one you doubt it.

I like to ask what someone is comparing a tow rig to. I compare mine to my buddies Ram 3500 and F-350s. So far, I haven't been disappointed with my decision one bit, and I tow a smaller TT than you. That is a lot of trailer for any half ton. The weight isn't the issue with me, more so the length.

Well it doesn't sound like it does:

Quote BlackhawkZ71:

Got a new 2018 travel trailer 32, dry weight was around 7k

Had a weight distribution hitch installed at the rv dealership. Truck had no sag on the rear for 700hitch probably more since the bottles were full..

She did good until i hit some hills. Running 55mph hit a hill and drop to 50mph on cruise ( I figured it would drop some gears but it dropped one and went up.) my instant mpg was 8.8mpg. got on the throttle hard (pulling out on to the highway) she moved pretty decent.

Overall not bad for a 5.3 thats where i doubted my chevy. I am glad i am not pulling it full time just to my spot and parked it until I decide to move. May invest in a programmer to help with pulling that thing around if i have to. Still may do it anyway:) but not in the cards just yet.

I was just wondering since in this thread it pulls great, and another one you doubt it.

I like to ask what someone is comparing a tow rig to. I compare mine to my buddies Ram 3500 and F-350s. So far, I haven't been disappointed with my decision one bit, and I tow a smaller TT than you. That is a lot of trailer for any half ton. The weight isn't the issue with me, more so the length.

I doubted it since i havent pulled anything that long or that heavy before but i was proved wrong, and i am no towing expert it is a little long but well worth it for my use.

• Like 1

I doubted it since i havent pulled anything that long or that heavy before but i was proved wrong, and i am no towing expert it is a little long but well worth it for my use.

Long as you're happy with it, all that matters. You must not be in the mountains.

I tow my Jayco 32BHDS with my 6.2/3.23 Sierra. It's a heavy trailer, but I have no issues with my choice in TV. I did however upgrade to E range tires and that made a substantial improvement. I'm also extremely pleased with the performance of my Equal-I-Zer WDH.

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2017 at 1:34 PM, COHauler said:

This can be a difficult situation when buying a truck and trailer. Either you buy a truck and need to stay in those parameters, or find a trailer you want and purchase the truck to do the job.

So I have a 28' TT that is supposed to be around 6500 lbs or so. As it sits with options, 7200 lbs. now put in water, generator, food, and whatever the wife and kids can pack in there, we are at 8k.

You can see the truck I have in my profile, and avatar. My camper works the diesel where I go. It might be different where you reside if it is flat, sea level, and no long hauling.

Remember that wind resistance catches up to you on TT, and are harder to tow than a GN trailer. Take some advice from some of the people that have "been there, done that" and look at a smaller 24' max trailer with 5500 lbs. You'll thank me later so your not selling a camper, selling a truck, or crashing both.

He is right about the wind resistance I have pulled a tt at 6500# and a trailer with a tractor about 6500# completely different towing experiences that big box of a camper IMO can easily shave of 1000 pounds of towing capabilities again IMO any TT over 7000# should be pulled with a 2500 now as far as gooseneck and bumper pull if properly loaded i would say max it out 

• 2 months later...
On 8/11/2017 at 1:21 PM, Jonboyslim said:

Hey everyone, new to the forum and id appreciate a little insight into towing capability between the 2014 sierra/silverado 6.2l with 3.42 (9400lbs) and the comparable 2017 6.2l with max tow 3.42 (11,700). I know it now has 8 spd and new j28 regs were encorporated in 2015 but really is there that much difference in these trucks (2300lbs)?

It has nothing to do with the transmission, it's the difference between NHT and non-NHT.  The tow ratings for NHT vs. non-NHT's were very similar for the 2014 6-speeds and newer 8-speeds respectively.  It's a bit confusing since in 2014 the non-NHT's got the 3.42 (NHT's had 3.73's) and now in the newer trucks the NHT's get 3.42's while the non-NHT's are 3.23.  Clear as mud?  Anyway if the 2014 is an NHT its tow rating will be similar to the newer NHT, if it's non-NHT it will be similar to the newer non-NHT.

The big difference between the 2014's and newer NHT's is that the newer NHT's get an increased payload (~400 lbs GVWR) and RAWR.  No mechanical changes were made, it was a paper only change (but if you're one who will fret over exceeding the sticker by a bit, it can be important).

On 8/15/2017 at 6:50 AM, Cowpie said:

About the only time I have seen that one could effectively pull some of the tow ratings is if they are pulling a trailer with a dead tongue.. like a grain wagon, anhydrous wagon, etc like used in agriculture. Otherwise, payload on the truck itself becomes a major issue.

That's just a ridiculous exaggeration.  Is it easy to exceed the payload of a 1/2 ton before you hit the max trailer weight?  Yes, of course it is.  It's very easy to do that on 3/4 ton diesels as well.

Is it possible, even easy to tow a trailer at the max trailer rating without exceeding the payload?  Yes, it is.

The maximum trailer rating is just that--the maximum.  With the right trailer under the right circumstances, that's the max they recommend, even when everything else is perfect.  That's why it's called a maximum.

If you're going to tow a trailer with 15+% tongue weight, take your four 300 lb buddies along and have a load of firewood in the bed, you should not be looking at the maximum rating.  If you are you're doing it wrong.  That's not what the number means.  You need to use your brain and realize the maximum trailer weight number for a perfect situation does not apply to your situation.

There are plenty of trailers out there that tow just fine at 10% tongue weight.  It is, after all, the industry standard.  It may not be the preferred standard for the RV.net vacation rigs, but there are lots of different types of trailers out there and a lot of uses trucks get other than "going camping." 

Anybody saying it's impossible to tow any trailer of the max rated weight just because you can't do that with all trailers, in all situations is doing it wrong.  That's not what the number means.

• 3 months later...

For travel trailer, you have to consider dry weight, wet weight, how much stuff you will be putting in it, tongue weight, etc. You can overload a 1/2 ton truck really fast as payloads are much lower than a 3/4 ton truck

Remember GM adopted SAE J2807 standards in the 2015 year so that bumped around the ratings as well from the 2014/2015 into the 2016 and up all though I think the 2015's were to that standard but the literature is not so good from the internet.

As for what others said it is easy to overload a 30 and up foot trailer.

I have a light weight 26 foot and I can load it up fairly heavy but keep it within the truck.