My Oil Consumption Fixed

My truck calls for 6 quarts with filter. Doing this and checking the oil after sitting over night it would show over filled, normal they say.

I was using oil and would add some so it was returned to the same level when checked cold (over filled). The amount of oil added was 6 to 8 ounces every 1k miles and it was always down to the full mark.

I stopped adding the 6 to 8 ounces because I have always cold checked the oil in my vehicles and kept them at the full mark. The oil consumption stopped. Hopefully this will continue.

I just did the oil and filter, put in 5.5 quarts and it's slightly below the full mark on a cold check.

I will update this experiment after some miles are added. :happysad:

I've always run my GM cars 1/2 quart low for better performance over the years. Guess it was something picked up during my racing days. I've only had my truck a few months and filled it all the way but think it is doing the same as yours. Am going to drop it down some when changing out the oil cooler line soon and see.

I've always run my GM cars 1/2 quart low for better performance over the years. Guess it was something picked up during my racing days. I've only had my truck a few months and filled it all the way but think it is doing the same as yours. Am going to drop it down some when changing out the oil cooler line soon and see.

I have never heard of running a vehicle intentionally low for performance, but I am very curious as to why you would do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well back then it reduced the oil hitting the crankshaft, we didn't have special windage trays. Also, we were running Mobil 1 synthetic oil so we could get away with it easily. I don't remember the numbers anymore but it did allow the cars to make a few more ponies and get to the end quicker. Even did this with my GM minivans for the last 15 years as well.

When the oil is checked and it reads full, is it low? When the oil is checked and it reads over full, is it?

6 quarts with a filter and it reads over full on a cold check. I get the amount it's over filled may be required to shall I say fill the engine passages and then it's full when running.

But mine seems to consistently burn this excess off, so why do this.

Time will tell, I will update my experience doing this. :happysad:

My truck calls for 6 quarts with filter. Doing this and checking the oil after sitting over night it would show over filled, normal they say.

I was using oil and would add some so it was returned to the same level when checked cold (over filled). The amount of oil added was 6 to 8 ounces every 1k miles and it was always down to the full mark.

I stopped adding the 6 to 8 ounces because I have always cold checked the oil in my vehicles and kept them at the full mark. The oil consumption stopped. Hopefully this will continue.

I just did the oil and filter, put in 5.5 quarts and it's slightly below the full mark on a cold check.

I will update this experiment after some miles are added. :happysad:

Good luck. Mine was consistently like yours, at first. I thought I'd discovered 'the fix', and drove it that way for a couple of years. Then after it was 3 years old it started chowing down on oil no matter what the level. Now I have the AFM turned off via Hypertech, am running thicker 10W-30 oil, have had the oilpan deflector and revised valve cover installed, and it still uses some oil.

Archived