Under dash rattle , Anyone have this ?

Annoying squeaky rattle which sounds like it's coming from behind the power outlet next to trays on the bottom dash. Haven't been to the dealer but like to have a better idea. Video I have to too large, so I apologize this post is useless haha

Sometimes due to vibration in the road or a specific song I have had rattle. Different areas in the cab will audibly vibrate/rattle depending on the temperature it was overnight vs day, the road I am on, orhe music I am playing. It can be annoying. Sometimes I blow the heat hot to warm everything up and it helps. Also pay attention to temp changes, road type and music choice/volume.

Never understood these threads, let me diagnose that for you from the other side of the country with out ever being in the truck. Just take it in, you tube mechanics aren't going to help as every truck and issue/sound is different.

Tyler

Thanks for nothing, as I said the video didn't work and the thread just decided to post and tell me the video was too large after the fact. Every truck is different you say? then explain why almost everyone has the Chevy shake and junk rear leaf springs and list goes on. Go troll elsewhere if you don't have anything worthwhile to say. Unlike most people I work on all my vehicles, and going to the dealer is a pain in the ass to deal with a bunch of textbook and procedure mechanics. The point of this forum to help members and learn, not be a keyboard commentator. If I had the option to delete the thread I would have right after, unfortunately I don't.

I had a similar rattle develop on my Sierra. Mine was more toward the OBD port. Regardless, I was going pull things apart to diagnose but ended up having the dealership look at it during an oil change. I could almost replicate the noise when tapping on the plastic above where your knees sit.

They found 4 loose screws behind the plastic shroud. May be the same scenario for you. Mine's been quiet since. Good luck!

There are 2 different rattles that have been corrected:

If you have the floor console and the squeak is coming from near the power ports there is a PIT that instructs the Tech to remove the console trim and put felt flocking tape over the spots where it rests on the console base. I did this myself and the squeak went away.

If you have a rattle near the OBD port there are other threads on here about loose trim bolts (the same issue royalkangaroo posted directly above). Just remove the trim piece under the steering column and check the 4 bolts under it to make sure they are tight. Then reinstall the trim piece and make sure the retaining screws are tight (but not too tight since you can split the trim).

I had a similar rattle develop on my Sierra. Mine was more toward the OBD port. Regardless, I was going pull things apart to diagnose but ended up having the dealership look at it during an oil change. I could almost replicate the noise when tapping on the plastic above where your knees sit.

They found 4 loose screws behind the plastic shroud. May be the same scenario for you. Mine's been quiet since. Good luck!

Same here. Exactly the same place under the area where your knees are about. I removed the panel and found two loose screws. re-tightened all of them and problem solved.

Archived