2016 Steering issue resolved

I have read countless threads on this topic, is there a fix for the 2016 HD trucks steering issue? I just bought a 2016 CPO 2500HD very, very low mileage. Truck has a 2.5" Level kit with new shocks all around and new UCA's on 22's and 33's but the dealership is still covering the entire truck under warranty. There is some slight slop in the steering at 30-60...have not had the chance to drive over 70 yet, is the PIT5501F TSB still the only "fix" for the issues these trucks have? Is the new OEM steering box they put in a better, updated one or is there an aftermarket system that can be put on these trucks? I will be taking back to be serviced when I get home from work. I'm dissapointed in this as I am going backwards from my new 2017 1500 to this used 2016 because my half ton has the 8-speed trans and was riddled with trans issues....if I could afford it, I wouldve went with a new F-250....I really starting to miss my 2015 F-250....ZERO issues with that truck

PIT5501F is the most current fix. Only time will tell if it is permanent or not. I have read posts that said replacing the steering box was not a permanent fix, that the slop came back within a few thousand miles.

I also read a few posts where guys did install aftermarket boxes. Not sure how that works with the digital assist.

As for not having any issues with your 2015 F250, all I can say is that you found a unicorn. I've had many many vehicles (GM, Ford, Mercedes and VW) in my life and I can honestly say that not a single one was without fault. Some issues were smaller and less bothersome, but every one had something that made it less than perfect.

Anything made by humans will have issues, not all but some. I don't have much for miles on my 2016 2500hd cc, but so far it's been fine steering wise. And as it's been stated before, for the thousands of trucks sold, the amount with issues is a drop in the bucket. The generalization that your f250 was flawless does not mean they all were/are.

Edited by Doug Rosewood

I have read countless threads on this topic, is there a fix for the 2016 HD trucks steering issue? I just bought a 2016 CPO 2500HD very, very low mileage. Truck has a 2.5" Level kit with new shocks all around and new UCA's on 22's and 33's but the dealership is still covering the entire truck under warranty. There is some slight slop in the steering at 30-60...have not had the chance to drive over 70 yet, is the PIT5501F TSB still the only "fix" for the issues these trucks have? Is the new OEM steering box they put in a better, updated one or is there an aftermarket system that can be put on these trucks? I will be taking back to be serviced when I get home from work. I'm dissapointed in this as I am going backwards from my new 2017 1500 to this used 2016 because my half ton has the 8-speed trans and was riddled with trans issues....if I could afford it, I wouldve went with a new F-250....I really starting to miss my 2015 F-250....ZERO issues with that truck

What trim level is your truck? Work truck (base) doesn't have the shitty pump.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Just joined to see if anyone has found solutions.  

At 20k they replaced the entire unit on our 2016 3500 High Country 

Now At 40K it’s all back.  Ok up to 45 then gets really light and loose 1-2 inch then gets better at 75.  

We own a 2015 same truck and it’s golden.   Has anyone found aftermarket or forced a dealership to redo a 3rd time.    I have lowered it, put banks on it, and additional fuel pump.   Iam ready to fix it , don’t care about warranty.  Or move on.  

OP mentioned a FORD 250. We have a fleet of 17's and 18 at work and one of the 4X4 trucks with fairly low mileage develop the DEATH WOBBLE. Will scare the beejesus out of you when it does it LOL. Seems to be a shock absorber on the steering linakge that goes bad from what I hear. So GM is not the only one suffering front end problems on the HD trucks 

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Anyone get the steering issue resolved? I have a 2016 2500hd 4x4 gasser that at 40 to 55 the steering wheel is like a god damn shake weight bring it in to the dealer monday. It has the digital steering as it crap in it. Is there a way to simple get rid of it and put in a steering box from a work truck ?? The work truck models supposedly do not have the DSA , the RPO code to my knowledge is VN8 for anyone interested

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Doesn't need to be a work truck.  My 2017 SLE is loaded for an SLE ( Bose, heated seats, console, power pedals and slider and blah blah blah) and I do not have the digital steering assist.  It's a 6 liter though and basically if you have a Duramax you get stuck with it. Cab configuration and trim make all the difference.  Mine drives perfect leveled with 34s.  I did add a steering dampener shock though and it got rid of any bump steer I had.

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 1

Doesn't need to be a work truck.  My 2017 SLE is loaded for an SLE ( Bose, heated seats, console, power pedals and slider and blah blah blah) and I do not have the digital steering assist.  It's a 6 liter though and basically if you have a Duramax you get stuck with it. Cab configuration and trim make all the difference.  Mine drives perfect leveled with 34s.  I did add a steering dampener shock though and it got rid of any bump steer I had.
I wish I didnt have it I think that might be my issue did 2 alignments and road force. balanced the tires still the wobble at 40 to 50 mph ....thought it might be air pressure but I would believe it wouldnt only happen at 40 to 50 everytime regardless , but I've heard alot about the steering assists being the problem. Wonder if they could put a regular steering box in it with out the assist and call it a day

I imagine it's not a huge deal to swap the box but it's the programming afterwards that needs to be done to remove the e assist and all the codes that will be the problem.
I wouldn't believe so especially after seeing what the unit is .. I personally liked the heavier feeling steering wheel instead of this lighter feeling one . Keeping my fingers crossed that it can be done and solve the issue

• 4 months later...