2016 Steering issue resolved

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Any updates to this? I have a 2016 Duramax 4x4 with 40k miles. The last 1000 miles it’s got the death wobble if you hit a small bump around 40mph or so. It tracks completely straight at high speed. It’s had an alignment  and  I checked all the front end parts and everything is tight other that the steering box. The dealer said it’s on me to fix since I’m outside 3/36 I’m pretty irritated that this happened so early. I have a 2.5” rough country and running 33s I’ve had them for 2+ years no issues till now. It also has 2-3” of slop in the steering wheel. Thanks. 

Edited by Per_Haugland
Added info

• 5 months later...

I’m having same issues with my 2016 Sierra Denali with duramax. At 7k miles developed lots of slop in the steering wheel, took it back to the dealership and had the problem “solved” under warranty. Since then I have installed a 5” zone lift and 35x12.5 tires with -25 offset. Truck drove great for about 7 months and started to notice the slop back in the steering wheel. Just took it back to the dealer and said I was out of warranty with 21,650mi on it and said that the larger wheels are what did it and will cost me $1800 parts and labor for new steering box and pitman arm. I refuse to believe that a he can’t handle larger tires. And I have zero desire to spend $1800 just to get it back to stock and potentially have this issue again in a few thousand miles. Anyone have a viable upgrade solution to this issue?

• 3 months later...

The wobble your having is your brake rotors. All makes of heavy duty trucks have the same issue after getting on the brakes hard for an animal crossing the road or holding the brakes to long with a load on, basically overheating. I put a set of slotted and drilled rotors and matching brakes in the front and it all went away and never came back. Some people do all 4 but I’ve had two trucks that I only did the front and they’ve been fine. When it comes to the steering being stiff, I’ve had it on both trucks. Boys at the shop looked at it and said everything is more than tight, but the lube shop missed a couple grease nipples and that helped a lot for about 15k. If I wash the whole underside of the front steering components and brakes, it also goes away for awhile. Can’t pin point that issue just yet

• 1 year later...

So as the very first post asked repeatedly;has anyone found the actual solution (or the cause at least)?NV8 RPO appears to be problematic box code(whatever vehicle/colour/trim)TSBs issued and fix appears to band aid a problem.Where did the “play” come from other than wear.Adjust out the slack does not account for the new “space/play” that was created over time.(I assume metal filings in pump/hydro boost system after endplay adjustment made.Partial flush from box removal/replacement.Suspect the GM replacement boxes also have the same basic issues.NOBODY seems to actually know root cause(ie:gear hardness/metal deficiency/fluid inadequacies/pressure or flow problem/contamination from manufacturing processes.Endless forum guesses but zero facts or fixes and alternatives put forward.