Brakes make a "creaking" sound

On 9/1/2017 at 10:17 PM, Motor City Rick said:

For creeking noise brake pads, it's the composition of the pad and the glazing on the surface of the rotor that makes the noise.

If the pads are still somewhat good, chamfer the leading and trailing edges of both inboard and outboard pads at a 45 degree angle. Add anti squeak material to the back side of the pad after it sets up for a bit to reduce vibration in the pad.

Pads are worn, replace with different composition and chamfered edges. Harder pads will squeal.

Yeah you didn’t read. This is has nothing to do with any of that. It makes the noise while not moving.

My truck and my mustang both make this noise, mustang is actually way worse.

No idea what the cause is.

I noticed the same creaking sound if I am stopped but put more pressure on brakes I hear a ticking or creaking sound.  If I reduce pressure on the brake pedal enough to were the truck still doesn't move it creaks as I reduce pressure but then creaking stops when I hold the brake at a constant pressure.  I am thinking its the calipers or slide pins.  Otherwise Brake are working fine.  I also here it moving slowly with brakes applied.

• 2 months later...

I have this problem and it is coming from both sides now. i have not tried chamfering the edges yet, but i have to do something, it bugs me. I have re lubed the slide pins, but i didn't isolate the noise away from the pads/rotors because i didn't have a brake clamp handy. I did bleed the brakes to make sure there was not any air in the calipers.

and it persists

On 8/29/2017 at 5:42 PM, hairybumcrack said:

I agree - mine do the same thing but it is the front and back.

How does your front end sound when you to a full turn at slow speed? Does it creak like a son of a bitch? Mine does.

Five recalls and 2 other dealer induced f/up's, upshift and downshift clunks from hell, I still can't believe that I haven't parted ways with this truck. If it wasn't so damn good looking, I would have. Rams are just butt ugly and I'll never get into a full aluminum body truck.

GOD F'N DAMNIT!!! IF I could reach through my monitor & slap the hell outta every damn forum member that loves to immediately chime in when people post complaints about recurring COMMON problems & say, "don't listen to all the negativity people only come on forums to complain the vast majority of these trucks are trouble free blah blah" OK - well, in the case of these K2xxx mexican trucks THEY ARE ALL diseased - they ALL have @ least some (I won't even say "one" - they hall have @ least 1+) of the common issues.

Take it from someone who has owned 2x2014's & current 2015 w/ a combined 105k miles across the 3 of em. Also - I have an insane close friend who is on his 4th - the dealers took back the previous 2 & made deal to replace w/ new leases, he went through 2 trannies & 3 torque converters alone.

Anyhow - sorry for the rant, its actually a "thank you" LOL - as I type this I'm traveling for business & my truck sits AGAIN @ the dealer while they do a 4 corner brake job (I provided the parts) - I am getting the creaking sound when coming to a stop just like the OP - figured @ 55k miles it was about due I drive it hard & have had some high speed freeway braking. Hoping this sound goes away after new brakes installed, assuming it will.

The REAL reasons its there though: #1 I'm getting the phantom "rumble strip" vibration through the steering wheel that I am being told is the tranny fluid/programming by the svc mgr, I think its the TC going through its death spirals, we will see, #2 I already left it w/ em for a week trying to pinpoint the "squeal"/screech sound you & others mentioned that seems to only happen when turning right, especially from a stop, & maybe being on slight incline contributes. I think its a bearing going or something w/ steering rack - dealer couldn't replicate of course.

NOW - what I think you & others should check, I've also noticed I've been getting a "growling" type vibration/sound that feels as if I'm running 1 super nubby brand new mud tire just on the driver's front w/ a bunch of slicks on the other 3 corners - also think it is related to the screech, but while the sound is kinda faint, I realized you can FEEL it without question through the steering wheel - again I think it's the bearing/hub assembly. We will see. If the dealer says they can't replicate I will drive it through their showroom window.

good luck. Subscribed to this thread & will report back w/ what I find from my dealer.

In regards to  getting rid of it......I'd let Ford (and future GM) truck owners be the guinea pigs on the new 10 speed....call me jaded but highly doubt it'll be an improvement, have already heard Raptor complaints, I just stroke a check for $10k recently to pay the loan off, sick of vehicle payments so relegated to getting my truck sorted out....also agree its still the best looking 1/2 ton in the last 10 years & better than the new '19 GM trucks FOR SURE, lastly I have the last of the 100k mile powertrain warranties....for all vehicles not just GM (unless I want a hyundai or nissan) - my dealer boasts that they warranty powertrains "for life" so long as major services (tranny flush/diff flush etc) get done within the appropriate time frame.

The tough part is I think one of the "fixes" to make these trucks tolerable is getting a custom tune - voiding warranty ironically - and a certain fix would be swapping out the cam/lifters valves/springs etc. for a DOD delete cam kit - also a sure warranty void but I truly think most of these vehicles will struggle mightily to make it to 100k w/o major failure - I already dropped 2 lifters, bent a pushrod, & had a fuel rail replaced in mine...... good lord what junk

• 2 months later...

My 2016 Silverado had same creaking noise or like a spring expanding on rear passenger side took pads off greased all parts but forgot to do pins put everything back and noise was still there bit the bullet and bought Wagner thermo quiet pads with the grease now greased everything pins and all that seems to have taken care of noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any helo would be appreciated. My rear brakes sound like a squeegee. I can be stopped and they make the noise when I press the brake pedal.  There is also a rattle on the ledt quarter panel. Not sure if its struts..brakes... I drive 2016GMC Yukon XL. Thanks.

That’s how mine sounded I replaced brake pads but make sure to buy the grease they sell for brakes and grease the tracks the brake pads slide on and pins and it fixed it

That’s how mine sounded I replaced brake pads but make sure to buy the grease they sell for brakes and grease the tracks the brake pads slide on and pins and it fixed it I bought the Wagner thermoquiet they were 71.00 but pep boys had a discount came out to 58 with grease and all and labor was free since I did it myself

• 4 weeks later...

So this is normal? Front inside pads were destroyed, just turned 35K? Very little towing (maybe 1K miles towing camper and 1k towing landscape trailer - no brakes at 3K #s), but swapped to mud tires at 28K miles. So I am guessing the heavier tires and the towing had something to do with it, but the brake squeelers never made a noise, and the rotors were toast.

rotors.thumb.jpg.8343dd983ee5f44f011d152c8a768c11.jpg

So this is normal? Front inside pads were destroyed, just turned 35K? Very little towing (maybe 1K miles towing camper and 1k towing landscape trailer - no brakes at 3K #s), but swapped to mud tires at 28K miles. So I am guessing the heavier tires and the towing had something to do with it, but the brake squeelers never made a noise, and the rotors were toast.
rotors.thumb.jpg.8343dd983ee5f44f011d152c8a768c11.jpg
Looks like debris in the brake system or slide pins that have dried out, causing the inner pad on the caliper piston to keep the inner pad engaged.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk