Servic Brake Assist pop up on dash display

Hi all, Service Brake Assist is showing up as a pop up window. The brakes seem to be fine in normal driving but when i am in reverse they seem mushing and unresponsive. I first noticed this  after having a Curt trailer brake installed. The very first time was when backing in our camper, I almost had to stand on the brakes while backing in. Forward, just fine. I would like to hear from you guys as to whether the trailer brake install is the issue. i am not seeing any leakage. The truck is a 16 LTZ CC Silverado. I can take to the dealer but I want to determine if the trailer brake unit is the culprit or if it is coincidental. 

When the belt driven vacuum pump dies just after the 3/36 warranty it will either have its rubber diaphragm fail and dump motor oil into the brake booster killing it.......or send metal shavings into engine oil taking out your motor.

It is likely telling you to service brake assist because vacuum being produced is very low.

You are looking at a $1500-$1800 repair bill. Your trailer brake controller is not the culprit.

Thankfully it is still in warranty. Thanks for the heads up info. I made an appointment yesterday after talking to my non dealer mechanic that installed the trailer brake controller. He confirms what is said here, not the culprit.

I did not have the DIC message, but in hot traffic for long periods had mooshy pedal brakes.  The dealer checked it out and replaced the grommet where the vac line goes into the booster and no issues since.  So for me the grommet was richard hard and probably had a slight vac leak.

Replacing pump.. In warranty, they offered a loaner since they had to order the pump. It will be dropped off at the house when done today as a trade for not taking a loaner. Thanks,  good advice and troubleshooting.

Archived