Changing to Heavier Duty hitch receiver

Cowpie

The stock hitch receiver that came on my 2015 2500 has a 1500 lb tongue rating.  Was curious if anyone had changed the receiver to more heavy duty one that would allow a 2000+ lb tongue rating?  Normally it might not be a big issue, but in using dump trailers, it is not always so easy to keep tongue weights within stock spec's.  Not talking cross country type of towing, just local with equipment and dump trailers.  Trailer is a 14K dump.  Do not really load it beyond a gross of 13K, but at 15% on the hitch, that as already at 1950 lb.    The pickup has 2300 lb of payload to play with.    Was considering if putting a more stout receiver on the pickup would work or going to have to seriously consider a goose neck.  Will probably have to go that direction, but was just curious if anyone had done what I am referring to here.   2015 2500 6.0L gasser.

Do they offer an aftermarket bigger than stock? There was the Titan that was a 2.5 inch upgrade for the wimpy dodge hitch...

If they make a hitch, that would be an option if you already have the trailer...there is no reason why it wouldn't work.

I would prefer a goose myself at that weight, just a better tow, but that's an expense in itself plus a hitch.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Not sure how it would go over the axle weights.  I have scaled my 2500 with two people and about 200 lb of tools and such in the back, and a full tank of fuel.  Came in at around 7200 lb.  GVWR is 9500 lb.  That leaves about 2300 lb available.  The stock hitch has a tongue weight rating of 1300 lb.  You do the math. 

Have a similar trailer to yours did not like the factory hitch looked a bit flimsyand was having rust issues so bought a B&W hitch with 16,000 lb tow rating and a 1,600 lb tongue weight.  It does not bolt to bottom of bumper like the factory hitch but overall is very heavy and was easy to install.  I have alot more confidence in it than i did the factory one.  I have a 2002 2500 HD with an 8.1 allison ccsb, Trailer is a 2014 PJ 14 ft bumper hitch dump. It is very easy to overleoad so I like everythign to be as strong as possible, with this setuip i feel pretty good.. 

I changed out the receiver on my '09 3500 because I wanted something rated higher for my idiot purchase, my boat.  Removal of OEM and install of after market was fairly easy and I did it by myself even.  I ended up going with https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Draw-Tite/DT45519.html to replace the OEM one.  Check out etrailer for options for your truck.  Their support is quick to respond to questions and there are a crapton of articles and other people's questions on there as well.

quick specs

Specs:

• Receiver opening: 2-1/2" x 2-1/2"
  • Rating: Class V
    • Maximum gross trailer weight: 18,000 lbs
      • Maximum GTW when used with weight distribution: 18,000 lbs
    • Maximum tongue weight: 2,000 lbs
      • Maximum TW when used with weight distribution: 2,500 lbs
  • Limited lifetime warranty

SE, checked out the link for that on on etrailer, and it was not for my 2015 2500 6.5 bed.  Did find one on the same etrailer site from Draw-Tite also that fits and is actually even higher rated..... 20,000 with a 2700 lb tongue weight.  Definitely overkill compared to what I was looking for, but it is reasonably priced and seems to be exactly what I need.  Thanks for the link though, as that was the starting point I used to research.

Here is the one I found....

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Chevrolet/Silverado+2500/2015/DT45511.html?vehicleid=201547536

2 hours ago, sdeeter19555 said:

Just for clarification, the OE 2.5" receiver is 1800 tongue, 18000 tow (that is not WDH).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Could be now, but my 2015 2500 manual and paperwork specifically states 1500 tongue 13,000 tow for the 2.5" receiver that came with my 2500.  I can only go by the information that GM gave me. They put it on.  Even if what you say is true, tongue weight still an issue with a dump trailer where tongue weights cannot be controlled as nicely as pulling an RV trailer.  Having on a a receiver that exceeds what I would actually need gives a nice safety margin.   And a stiffer receiver would lend more frame support, especially when on off road situations and in loading skid steers and such on the dump. 

Just look at me.  I think I have pretty much talked myself into answering my original inquiry.

Could be now, but my 2015 2500 manual and paperwork specifically states 1500 tongue 13,000 tow for the 2.5" receiver that came with my 2500.  I can only go by the information that GM gave me. They put it on.  Even if what you say is true, tongue weight still an issue with a dump trailer where tongue weights cannot be controlled as nicely as pulling an RV trailer.  Having on a a receiver that exceeds what I would actually need gives a nice safety margin.   And a stiffer receiver would lend more frame support, especially when on off road situations and in loading skid steers and such on the dump. 

Just look at me.  I think I have pretty much talked myself into answering my original inquiry.
That's on my 2012...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2017 at 9:22 PM, Cowpie said:

Not sure how it would go over the axle weights.  I have scaled my 2500 with two people and about 200 lb of tools and such in the back, and a full tank of fuel.  Came in at around 7200 lb.  GVWR is 9500 lb.  That leaves about 2300 lb available.  The stock hitch has a tongue weight rating of 1300 lb.  You do the math. 

What you need to check besides the GVWR is the gross axle weight. That 2300 lb may need to be distributed between axles instead of the hitch having it all on the rear axle. GAWR should be on the door sticker though.

Yeah, you are correct.  There is some of that left over 2300 is going to be on the steer axle, but the majority is on the rear axle. It's not an even deal.  The rear axle is rated 2000 lb more than the steer axle to begin with and has less weight on it when the truck is empty than the steer axle does.  It is the little bit of flexibility above the stock hitch ratings when pulling a dump trailer that are in play.  Even if one sticks with the OEM max hitch towing recommendation of 13K, that OEM hitch tongue rating is only 11% of that.  With a dump trailer being loaded, it is not always so easy to keep tongue weights exactly at 10-11%.  One could easily hit 12 or 13%.   If tongue went to 15%, that is 1950 lb.  It is that little extra leeway of a percent to two that is desired.   Obviously, using a Weigh Safe hitch to monitor tongue weight is a good idea. But after a bucket load of aggregate or dirt gets put in the trailer, if the tongue weight is, say 1650 lb at that point, one just doesn't shuffle a load in the dump to get it back below the hitch 1500 tongue rating.    And using a heavier duty hitch in place of the stock one gives a margin of safety that the hitch will be able to deal with those variances/overages that could occur.     I have no desire to pull heavier than the OEM max of 13000 trailering, and most times will be even under that by some margin.  

If this was about loading equipment, it would be a much easier proposition, as equipment could be moved to exactly the right location on the trailer to get the best results to appease the GM wonks who sit in cubicles.  Loose material that even will shift a little in transit is a different can of worms. 

Oh I understand that the rear axle has more room to play with. If you got your truck measured with all your stuff you should be able to find out how much weight is on each axle, do the math to figure how much overhead you have and then beef up the rear end if you have enough overhead. If your payload is 2k lbs, you may have a 4k lb axle rating that you can play with. Increase your payload with leaf springs, air bags etc as well as beefing up the hitch. There are ways to get a higher payload if your axle allows for it.

Archived