Yes the 6.2 Liter V8 engine consumes oil! The same in the GMC and Cadillac

8 minutes ago, LDM said:

Of course you would.  You're so much smarter than everyone else and feel the need to tell us all just how smart you are.  If you had half the intelligence you think you had, you wouldn't be making these claims.  But hey, feel free to tell us more about all the data you claim to have.  All you've done is hand wave about consumer reports and name call, then go back and edit your post so it isn't there anymore.  700K+ failed frames from lack of QA is hardly the first issue with Toyota trucks or any of their other vehicles.

Would you rather me add back in calling you a tw@t?  I mean I can put it back in there if you like. It wouldn’t be incorrect.  I just decided it wasn’t necessary.  But I’m rethinking that now.  

I haven’t boasted about myself, nor have I said anything about being smarter than a anyone else, including you.  That’s all you and your mental fragility.  

What I have said...which you can re-read if you like...is that the data doesn’t agree with you.  And it’s not MY data...it’s yours and everyone else’s who chooses to look at it.  

P.S.  it’s still not normal for a modern day engine to consume oil and have it be considered “within tolerance”. 

Edited by Timmah

Just now, Timmah said:

Would you rather me add back in calling you a tw@t?  I mean I can put it back in there if you like. It wouldn’t be incorrect.  I just decided it wasn’t necessary.  But I’m rethinking that now.  

I haven’t boasted about myself, nor have I said anything about being smarter than a anyone else, including you.  That’s all you and your mental fragility.  

What I have said...which you can re-read if you like...is that the data doesn’t agree with you.  And it’s not MY data...it’s yours and everyone else’s who chooses to look at it.  

No real surprise that you would, its all you have.  It shows how pathetic you really are with this entire argument.  You haven't any real data, just made claims that "scientific consumer reports" data agrees with you.  And the reality is that it really doesn't.  You're entire item here is trying to pretend you are right, then being confronted with real data such as the Tacoma recall, having no real response for it, and then claiming "emotional and mental fragility."

What are you, 12?  Maybe you would like to post some real information like I did.  But I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.  You've been incorrect about everything from the beginning and I'm just sitting here laughing at you. 

18 hours ago, Timmah said:

It’s funny...the only people who say that all cars are junk are American car loyalists who have some uncommon anecdotal story about a Japanese vehicle that all of a

sudden falls apart.  

Here is the thing...with Japanese style manufactured vehicles like Lexus, Toyota, and now Kia and Hyundai...the fit, finish, and quality is generally higher.  And the vehicles are known by brand to be reliable, because they are.  

The difference lies in what is considered normal for the brand.  It’s normal for a Japanese vehicle to be well made...you expect it.  Because by large numbers we’ve come to experience that as consumers.  

On the flip side...it’s considered normal in American manufacturing that an engine burns a quart or more within 3k miles?  It’s considered “normal” for their vehicles to constantly have parts break from as early as 20 miles on the odometer through their lifetime?  Digital dashes, brakes, seatbelts, tires, sensors, transmissions, and engines...all commonly break. 

it’s unacceptable in this day and age, and American car owners shouldn’t be rationalizing it...but demanding better reliability on par with the leaders of the industry.   

I do not think a “journalist” is qualified (and educated) to provide a technical review of anything more complicated than a potato. So consumer reports is not a valid source for anything except the comparative prices of the autos. I will tell you why i dislike the Toyota V8 in my old Lexus. It had timing belts. The oil pan leaked.. and leaked.. new gaskets or not. And finally - when the starter needed new brushes at125k miles i had to pull the intake manifold to get to it. Imagine a design where you have to take off half the emissions, the intake manifold and hunt gaskets that are not in stock for love nor money.

That is a specific example of why Toyota is off my list.... and it always will be. Every little part you do replace is priced like Gold too. If you can find it.

Edited by PPK
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Timmah said:

P.S.  it’s still not normal for a modern day engine to consume oil and have it be considered “within tolerance”. 

Keep editing your posts so you can try to look smarter.  Hate to break it to you yet again, but numerous manufacturers do have oil consumption amounts that are considered within tolerance on the engines.

Subaru considers 1 quart of oil burned within 1000 -1200 miles to be acceptable.  BMW considers 1 quart in 600 -700 miles to be acceptable.

You seem to have a big problem with understanding the difference between "what you find acceptable on the internet" is the same as what actually is true in reality.  But then I would expect little else from someone pretending consumer reports is "scientifically accurate" data.

32 minutes ago, LDM said:

Keep editing your posts so you can try to look smarter.  Hate to break it to you yet again, but numerous manufacturers do have oil consumption amounts that are considered within tolerance on the engines.

Subaru considers 1 quart of oil burned within 1000 -1200 miles to be acceptable.  BMW considers 1 quart in 600 -700 miles to be acceptable.

You seem to have a big problem with understanding the difference between "what you find acceptable on the internet" is the same as what actually is true in reality.  But then I would expect little else from someone pretending consumer reports is "scientifically accurate" data.

Why exactly are you so caught up on consumer reports?  Did I say that was the only outlet I’m reading?  Show me a *single* piece of data that shows Chevy/GMC/Ford to be anywhere close to the reliability of a Toyota or Lexus on the whole.  You won’t find it.  Hell...scroll through your own owners group sites...consumer complaint sites...talk to people that own them...I’m not making this up.  This is coming from actual people who own the vehicles. I just took a look at a social media owners group, and within 2 entries, I find a thread with several owners chiming in about constant and consistent complaints at how the back window is constantly leaking...and how dealers are just putting a bit of silicone on it after it destroys the headliner and carpet.  

That’s in addition to all the actually life threatening issues with the brakes from 2020+ and other items, sensors going out after 100 miles, transmissions being replaced a couple times before 100k, engines making odd noises right after purchase, and a host of other things whereby the actual owners are complaining over and again.  

You know what I find on user forums over and over for Tundras?  “Will a 35” tire fit?”  Because the actual owners aren’t constantly taking in their vehicles for issues that shouldn’t be happening.  

Edited by Timmah

19 hours ago, Timmah said:

Here is the thing...with Japanese style manufactured vehicles like Lexus, Toyota, and now Kia and Hyundai...

Kia and Hyundai are Korean, not Japanese.

Consumer Reports is staffed by a bunch of un-American commie lovers.  My best autos have been the ones they hated on the most, all GM incidentally.

So what do you drive Timmah?  What about your purchase has you all torqued up?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Timmah said:

Why exactly are you so caught up on consumer reports?  Did I say that was the only outlet I’m reading?  Show me a *single* piece of data that shows Chevy/GMC/Ford to be anywhere close to the reliability of a Toyota or Lexus on the whole.  You won’t find it.  Hell...scroll through your own owners group sites...consumer complaint sites...talk to people that own them...I’m not making this up.  This is coming from actual people who own the vehicles. I just took a look at a social media owners group, and within 2 entries, I find a thread with several owners chiming in about constant and consistent complaints at how the back window is constantly leaking...and how dealers are just putting a bit of silicone on it after it destroys the headliner and carpet.  

That’s in addition to all the actually life threatening issues with the brakes from 2020+ and other items, sensors going out after 100 miles, transmissions being replaced a couple times before 100k, engines making odd noises right after purchase, and a host of other things whereby the actual owners are complaining over and again.  

You know what I find on user forums over and over for Tundras?  “Will a 35” tire fit?”  Because the actual owners aren’t constantly taking in their vehicles for issues that shouldn’t be happening.  

Yeah, there are no examples of problems on the Toyota Tundra forums.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/shake-at-65-75mph.85188/

https://www.tundras.com/threads/trouble-shifting-into-reverse-completely.85142/

https://www.tundras.com/threads/ol-steering-wheel-shaky-shake.85290/

https://www.tundras.com/threads/starter-replacment-2009-tundra-limited.85282/

Those took me all of 15 seconds to find on a Tundra board.  I know 3 people personally that made the mistake of buying Tundras.  2 got rid of them at a loss to get a real truck (1 Ford, 1 Chevy) and the 3rd guy has kept his because he doesn't feel like taking a bath on it to try to get rid of it.  Spends more time in the shop than any truck I've ever seen, has had its entire top end rebuilt due to the cams and phaser being wiped out, and had to have the transmission replaced due to converter failure.  I've seen plenty of examples of Toyota/Lexus problems over the years, from the ones I've already posted to many other issues like others have.

You once again post nothing but your own handwaving and claims that I can prove wrong in a matter of seconds.  The Toyota dealerships have just as many vehicles waiting outside for repairs and services as the other dealers in my area.  GM, Ford, and RAM sell 5 to 10 times the number of trucks than Toyota for a reason. 

19 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

Kia and Hyundai are Korean, not Japanese.

Consumer Reports is staffed by a bunch of un-American commie lovers.  My best autos have been the ones they hated on the most, all GM incidentally.

So what do you drive Timmah?  What about your purchase has you all torqued up?

Yes I know that those are Korean.  The comma separates them.  

im not torqued up.  I actually came here doing research, for a prospective purchase (because I actually like the truck I’m thinking about purchasing).  But in the pre-purchase due diligence I’m finding all sorts of ******, as I anticipated.  

I responded originally because so many people are literally “ok” and try to make excuses with the poor quality levels.  And it shouldn’t be ok.  GM and Ford aren’t going to change if people keep buying shoddy products.  And the fact is...the Japanese vehicles are far and away better in that component.  And no...there’s no conspiracy with consumer reports or any other outlet that is literally getting its data from actual owners.  It’s not a communist plot just because people can’t stand the fact that American vehicles tend to not be as reliable.  

39 minutes ago, LDM said:

Yeah, there are no examples of problems on the Toyota Tundra forums.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/shake-at-65-75mph.85188/

https://www.tundras.com/threads/trouble-shifting-into-reverse-completely.85142/

https://www.tundras.com/threads/ol-steering-wheel-shaky-shake.85290/

https://www.tundras.com/threads/starter-replacment-2009-tundra-limited.85282/

Those took me all of 15 seconds to find on a Tundra board.  I know 3 people personally that made the mistake of buying Tundras.  2 got rid of them at a loss to get a real truck (1 Ford, 1 Chevy) and the 3rd guy has kept his because he doesn't feel like taking a bath on it to try to get rid of it.  Spends more time in the shop than any truck I've ever seen, has had its entire top end rebuilt due to the cams and phaser being wiped out, and had to have the transmission replaced due to converter failure.  I've seen plenty of examples of Toyota/Lexus problems over the years, from the ones I've already posted to many other issues like others have.

You once again post nothing but your own handwaving and claims that I can prove wrong in a matter of seconds.  The Toyota dealerships have just as many vehicles waiting outside for repairs and services as the other dealers in my area.  GM, Ford, and RAM sell 5 to 10 times the number of trucks than Toyota for a reason. 

Finding complaints doesn’t disprove anything.  You keep missing the “large numbers” and “data driven” aspect.  Anecdotal items aren't reliable when making broad claims.  

The large-number data doesn’t support your opinion.  Sorry.  

EDIT:  I edit because I think of something else or because I feel like rewording it, or perhaps to fix a grammatical error.  But by all means...continue to think like a child.  

Edited by Timmah

59 minutes ago, Timmah said:

Finding complaints doesn’t disprove anything.  You keep missing the “large numbers” and “data driven” aspect.  Anecdotal items aren't reliable when making broad claims.  

The large-number data doesn’t support your opinion.  Sorry.  

EDIT:  I edit because I think of something else or because I feel like rewording it, or perhaps to fix a grammatical error.  But by all means...continue to think like a child.  

Hahahahah, you posted "You know what I find on user forums over and over for Tundras?  “Will a 35” tire fit?”  Because the actual owners aren’t constantly taking in their vehicles for issues that shouldn’t be happening" and then you want to pretend that you have anything other than your own anecdotal claims?  People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.  Reality is a different case, which you still don't understand.  The only child here is you with your pathetic name calling and make believe that you have any clue what you are talking about.  You came here with nothing and you still have nothing.  Your wrong and will never understand why.  But please, feel free to continue with your sad little delusions.  Like I said before, what are you, 12?

2 hours ago, Timmah said:

How many times do you want to edit this?  Anyone who has to keep going back to change their claims lost the argument a long time ago.

11 minutes ago, LDM said:

How many times do you want to edit this?  Anyone who has to keep going back to change their claims lost the argument a long time ago.

I’ll edit it as much as I see fit.  Because I’m not changing any claims.  I’m changing minor grammar or choice of words.  My claims haven’t changed from the first post to now.  

Are you retarded?  Do you not understand how that works?  Or are you going to continue to make up your own rules on things like post count, editing, and so forth?  

There is no battle here.  And no real argument.  You’re just wrong.  

3 minutes ago, Timmah said:

I’ll edit it as much as I see fit.  Because I’m not changing any claims.  I’m changing minor grammar or choice of words.  My claims haven’t changed from the first post to now.  

Are you retarded?  Do you not understand how that works?  Or are you going to continue to make up your own rules on things like post count, editing, and so forth?  

There is no battle here.  And no real argument.  You’re just wrong.  

No you edit them because you want to pretend you were right the first time when you weren't.  Still don't get it correct the 2nd time either, but hey, no real surprise there either I suppose.

And just more ad hominem attacks when you have nothing else.  The only thing you are correct about is the fact that there is no real argument here.  You were wrong with your first post and you've been wrong with every one after that.  You post nothing of value except vague hand waving that you have "scientific consumer reports" to claim you're correct.  I'd say come back with some real claims but I know you won't.  I'd explain it to you again but at this point I'm pretty sure this entire conversation from you has come from some sort of house plant.

3 hours ago, PPK said:

I do not think a “journalist” is qualified (and educated) to provide a technical review of anything more complicated than a potato. So consumer reports is not a valid source for anything except the comparative prices of the autos. I will tell you why i dislike the Toyota V8 in my old Lexus. It had timing belts. The oil pan leaked.. and leaked.. new gaskets or not. And finally - when the starter needed new brushes at125k miles i had to pull the intake manifold to get to it. Imagine a design where you have to take off half the emissions, the intake manifold and hunt gaskets that are not in stock for love nor money.

That is a specific example of why Toyota is off my list.... and it always will be. Every little part you do replace is priced like Gold too. If you can find it.

Oh, consumer reports is even more invalid than just that.  They've been caught falsifying data and making recommendations without any submissions before as well.  I'm amazed that anyone would even consider them for something like a refrigerator, let alone something like a car purchase.  But for some reason people want to pretend then are "scientifically accurate" data for some reason.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, LDM said:

Oh, consumer reports is even more invalid than just that.  They've been caught falsifying data and making recommendations without any submissions before as well.  I'm amazed that anyone would even consider them for something like a refrigerator, let alone something like a car purchase.  But for some reason people want to pretend then are "scientifically accurate" data for some reason.

You seriously sound mental, and you definitely do not understand how the data is collected, where it comes from, or even how statistics work.  

Yes, Lexus and it’s parent company Toyota are a superior brand to any American company when it comes to reliability.  There is literally nothing you can say or show to prove otherwise.  

What exactly is your stance here that you’re trying to assert?  That JD power, CR, and all the other entities that rate the performance of manufacturers are wrong?  Or do you just feel bad because someone told you the truth about the brand you bought from?  

Or are you just looking to argue?  

Edited by Timmah