Reverse lights in towing mirror

Diodes to use are Radio Shack (part number 1N4004)...when I picked up mine, they had a 2-Pack for about $2.00.

For the LED lights in the mirrors to come on when in reverse, jump from the top upper brown BCM pin to the top second from left pin of the "pink" BCM. The gray stripe on the diode must be on the "pink" side (when I say top, I am referring to the pics above as I can't recall pin numbers). I have done this and mine matches the pics...

The "fogs with parking lamps" jumper must be within the brown BCM. From the pic above, the diode appears to be placed within this BCM only. I'm not familiar with this as I don't have this set up...  

Yes, but I can only confirm Diode #2 is for the "LED lights in the mirror to come on in reverse", as I have done this mod to my truck. It has worked with no issues for the last couple years. You may just want to confirm if the pin numbers (diode locations) are the same for your 2019. I wouldn't think it would change from 2016, but you never know???

I personally can't confirm Diode #1 "fogs with parking lamps" as I have not done this mod to my truck. I was only assuming it was based on a previous post within this thread... 

Yes, but I can only confirm Diode #2 is for the "LED lights in the mirror to come on in reverse", as I have done this mod to my truck. It has worked with no issues for the last couple years. You may just want to confirm if the pin numbers (diode locations) are the same for your 2019. I wouldn't think it would change from 2016, but you never know???

I personally can't confirm Diode #1 "fogs with parking lamps" as I have not done this mod to my truck. I was only assuming it was based on a previous post within this thread... 
So yours is a 16 EJ? I just traded my 15 1500 for a 16 2500HD and want to do this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So are you having to leave that switch ON on the dash for the bed lights & mirror lights for the mod to work?  Cuz my lights come on when it's park too and that switch is on...
They will still come on in park/reverse if the cargo lamp switch is on. The mod should allow only the mirror lights to come on when in reverse, without having the cargo lamp switch on

2 minutes ago, Tx_operator87 said:

They will still come on in park/reverse if the cargo lamp switch is on. The mod should allow only the mirror lights to come on when in reverse, without having the cargo lamp switch on

Perfect!!  that's what I was hoping!  thanks!!!

• Like 1

Just got my 1N4001 diodes from Amazon and got one plugged in.  Awesome!  It works!!  I was kinda hoping JUST the LED mirror lights would come on but the cargo light switch illuminates when I put the truck in reverse and the bed cargo lights and the reverse light comes on in the 3 brake/reverse light combo on the back of the cab come on too, but I'm good with that!!  It's nice to not have to hit the switch when u want extra reverse lights.  So this mod works on the 2019 2500HD's as well.  thanks fellas!!

just wanted to piggy back off this since you guys seem to know a fair amount about lighting and mods. I have a 2017 HD and I cant manually turn off my headlights unless im in park. (i used to be able to turn them off even while driving in my 2011 1500) I was told that this was because my truck was first sold in Canada and US trucks dont do this. Do you know if this is true or are all the newer trucks doing this? Either way do you know if there is a was to mod it so i can turn them off whenever i need to?

• Like 1

From what I am seeing on other/older forums is that this is in fact a canadian thing due to their laws. Some people are saying that you can take it to a Chevy/gm dealer here in the states and they can reprogram the bcm. But it is a programming matter that Canada does. I'll look around more because a lot of what I was finding was discussed in 2017, so maybe some things have changed. If I find anything else I'll repost here

On 3/9/2019 at 7:02 PM, DBeau said:

ok, thats what i was thinking but wasnt sure. sounds good thanks in advance

They've been like that on Canadian ones for many years. 

I've learned to live with it.  A vehicle without daytime running lights looks unusual around here now. 

And of course the auto function will switch the daytime running light to regular headlights and taillights when the light sensor detects dusk (or inside a tunnel)

I've heard that the switch can be taken apart and the spring removed so that the knob will stay in the 'off' position.

Could probably also by the US knob from a dealer or parts house.