In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
redcanyon

A/C COMPRESSOR NOISE

Question

I have a 2017 Canyon V6 All-Terrain.  The A/C compressor is noisy.  It gets louder if the truck is driven 15 minutes (about) or more.  The truck has 3000 miles.  The A/C compressor is louder than the motor at idle.  I can turn off the AC button and everything is smooth and quiet.  I normally run with the fan on auto and then temp on 74 (not auto) with the A/C button off and everything sounds fine.  This is not going to work in the summer.  Is this just a noisy (poorly designed) compressor??

9 answers to this question

On 2/26/2018 at 11:12 AM, redcanyon said:

Not the fan.  I turn off the A/C button and all is quiet.  Also, the noise rises with rpm.

I have the same exact problem description that redcanyon has. It is not the fan.

Go to dealer

Yea, something isn't right. I've never noticed anything louder when the AC is running. Sounds like your compressor is about to fail.

RedCanyon, are you sure it's not just the fan?  I have noticed the same issue in my Canyon.  If I'm driving under 10 miles an hour, just coasting and the fan is on the lowest setting, I hear the whine of the fan running.  If I hit the 'fan off' button it's perfectly quiet.  Is that the same issue you're having?

Not the fan.  I turn off the A/C button and all is quiet.  Also, the noise rises with rpm.

I have the same issue with 2018 Canyon.  I believe it is related to the F 1234yf refrigerant.  I have read about problem reported on the higher density of R-1234yf resulted in a pulsation that produced a noticeable vibration/noise on the Cadillac ATS with the 2.0-liter turbo, because the A/C compressor mount was located very close to an engine mount. And although engine mounts are designed to absorb vibration, the combination of extra vibration in a specific frequency, very close to the front mount, was a problem the mount did not muffle. Either that mount will be redesigned or the compressor might be moved when the vehicle is changed over to R-1234yf. See here referring to A/C groan.

https://macsworldwide.wordpress.com/2016/08/25/ac-groan/

Edited by tedlaw

Yeah, it posted clearly on top of the radiator on my 2018 Canyon as F 1234yf.