Buying my first diesel

Ok so here goes. I realize this will be about a year from now when I will be purchasing my new truck but I'm one who does alot of good quality research before buying a vehicle, anything electronic, and so forth. So I know what I want. I know it will be bought used. I currently have a 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 4x4 with the 6.0 gas motor. I love my truck. I knew it was what I wanted when I went looking for it in the first place. Only thing different is I did want the diesel and Allison transmission.

So I've been looking on true car and car fax to see where prices are for a used 2014 and up GMC. And they are 50k and up. I'm sorry but that's just far too out of my range. I didn't plan on trading in my current truck because my father in law lives with us and he currently has an old Ford explorer. But my truck fits him far better. But with prices being that high already my question is will they be more reasonable by this time next year?

I mean my truck is paid off this coming June. I'm the second owner. It has less than 200k on it and I'm hoping that it won't reach that until it's paid off. That's my goal anyways. Right now it's worth 3-5k more than what I owe on it. So I'm on the up side in that aspect.

I just wanted popular opinion on if prices will be down or about the same? I know it has to be diesel. Has to have 4 doors. Has to have 4 wheel drive. I'm not looking for the Denali package as mine is an SLE and I'm good with those options. The package up from that would be really nice if it's around. The Denali is just over the top and would keep me from putting my own custom touches on the truck.

Thanks for the help everyone.

When I bought my truck in 2012, it is an 11 model I found many trucks equipped like mine with up to 50,000 miles that wanted more than what I paid for my new truck.  With that being said I don't think that you will see the prices on diesel trucks bottom out anytime soon.  More than likely you will see the prices on pre 2011 truck go up due to the emission problems and people not wanting to deal with them.  Just my $0.02!!   :jester:

6 hours ago, davester said:

Yeah, used truck prices still seem to be going up.  They were lower a couple years ago, but now everyone seems to think they are make of steel-plated gold.

Really? I've never seen them go up in Texas, all used vehicles depreciate except certain exotics. Not sure where you live, but in TX we have TONS of diesels. Maybe look here.

I live in Arizona. And yeah most of what I've found have low mileage. Which I'm not worried about mileage. But 50k?? Isn't that new truck prices? I looked at dodge. And they are much much cheaper. And I do like both dodge and GM. But I want to stick with GMC. Plus dodge is still running 6 cylinders. And it works great. But I'm a V8 man. 

If prices are lower in Texas I'm sure I can find a dealership that will source one from there. I also have found out that my company will partner with a dealership and give a discount on getting a vehicle. I'm just hoping that by December prices will be lower. If there are more on the market for sale, most times that drives the price down because they have an over supply. I'll just have to check what's out there every so often.

• 1 month later...

Archived