Hard Starts in the cold weather

As the title states I have a 2000 Silverado 2500 6.0 that is having a hard time starting in cold weather. Fuel pressure regulator is good, fuel pump had the correct PSI at key on, starting and running. Sometimes the truck will crank and crank with no fire, turn the key off then try again and same results. After it does start and idle for a couple minutes, most times it has no problem starting up again.  My buddy is checking it out with a tech II at the Chevrolet dealership which it only acts up once or twice a day, so it is kind of a longer process. We are going to be putting in plug and wires, since the wires are about fried and new plugs just cause I don't know how long they have been in there. It's never acted up one time with a misfire, but can't hurt to put new acdelco ones in. Even though the fuel pump is fine, we are going to be putting a new Acdelco one in since who knows how old the one in there is.

Any ideas or suggestions? I'm pretty sure we can rule out fuel since there is the appropriate fuel pressure at the rail. I'm not sure if maybe a sensor could be causing thos headache or what could be going on

usually anything in the single digits into the - temps. No flex fuel around here. It did start up every time today and it was around 7-11* outside all day
I only ask because flex fuel and/or higher alcohol contents can hinder cold weather starting.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

Just now, sdeeter19555 said:

I only ask because flex fuel and/or higher alcohol contents can hinder cold weather starting.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

Ahh fair enough. I only use 87. i did put some of the lucas injector cleaner in the tank about 3-4 days before all this happened but I don't think that should affect it any, I've been using it for quite a while

By hard start do you mean extended crank time?

If so, this may ease your concern:

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=2971

Extended Cold Crank with Direct Injected Engines

postdateicon.pngFebruary 20, 2014

The 4.3L, 5.3L, and 6.2L (RPOs LV3, L83, L86 and LT1) direct injected (DI) engines (Fig. 14) available on some 2014-2015 Corvette, Silverado 1500, Suburban, Tahoe, Sierra 1500 and Yukon models may have an extended or long crank time during cold ambient air temperatures.

2014 "LT-1" 6.2L V-8 VVT DI (LT1)

Fig 14

Direct Injection engines may have slightly longer cold crank times than that of port fuel injected engines. Direct Injection systems run at higher pressures and the mechanical pump on the engine must build up the required pressure before the first injection event occurs.

Following are typical DI engine crank times using gasoline:

Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 11.22.51 AM

If the temperature is below -22°F (-30°C), the recommendation is to perform an assisted start (such as with the use of a block heater).

For ethanol fuel, see #PIP5174: Extended Engine Crank Times When Using E85

Have your buddy check all the temp sensors, engine, air, etc.... with the Scan II.   If a temp sensor is out of whack it will affect how much fuel is injected and the ignition timing so you can have a no start condition.   

Also have him check the crank position sensor which tells the ECM when to fire the coils.

DEWFPO

he already told me that he is going to check all that stuff only bad thing is he can only check 1 or 2 things while my truck won't start, once it starts, it usually doesn't have a problem. Engine coolant temp sensor I'm assuming?

Edited by insidethreat07

• 11 months later...

Hi @insidethreat07! Did you ever get this resolved? I've got the same symptoms on my Tahoe - it hard starts on cold weather (around 30F). I checked essentially everything:

• Fuel pressure - 55-60psi ignition on, around 50psi engine running, around 60psi when fuel pressure regulator disconnected
  • Fuel presure regulator is good - tested above and there's no sign of fuel leak
  • Spark plugs are new (it did it before change too)
  • MAF sensor is new
  • MAP shows correct values, IAT shows correct values, ECT shows correct values

The only thing that's odd with the truck is that it's impossible to start when the fuel level is lower than quarter-tank. It always helps to add few gallons of gas. The fuel pump is also audible whinning from outside. I think it's a candidate for replacement soon but it really bugs me the low-temperature relation...

Edited by ChevyCZ

Yeah it was some type of sensor under the steering wheel. It was sending wrong information to the computer where it was putting my truck into a security safe mode. I can't remember what the part was called though
Pass lock sensor.. It reads the key.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk