2018 White silverado paint stains, dealer tire shine

I picked up a 2018 summit white silverado. I noticed after getting it home there was tire dressing sling all over the truck from dealership putting way to much on. I washed the truck and put it in the garage. The temps dropped pretty drastically here in the north east so I didn't get the truck out till it warmed up. Yesterday it was pretty nice out so I decided to wash the truck and wax the truck. Upon washing I noticed the bottom area around the fender wells where the texture paint is, the spots from the tire shine left stains on the paint. I can not get them to come out. Not very happy. I will be calling the dealership this week. After researching on the interweb it seems this is more common than it should be. I will post pictures.

Edited by Crobinson16

1 hour ago, Crobinson16 said:

I picked up a 2018 summit white silverado. I noticed after getting it home there was tire dressing sling all over the truck from dealership putting way to much on. I washed the truck and put it in the garage. The temps dropped pretty drastically here in the north east so I didn't get the truck out till it warmed up. Yesterday it was pretty nice out so I decided to wash the truck and wax the truck. Upon washing I noticed the bottom area around the fender wells where the texture paint is, the spots from the tire shine left stains on the paint. I can not get them to come out. Not very happy. I will be calling the dealership this week. After researching on the interweb it seems this is more common than it should be. I will post pictures.

What did you use to try and remove the stains? 

A quality degreaser and/or clay bar should remove almost any contaminants from the clear coat. As a side note, since you waxed the vehicle the layer of wax will need to be removed before the stains can be extracted from the clear coat.

Ultimately, it’s the dealer’s mistake and if you don’t want to deal with it yourself I would make them correct.

I didn't wax anything yet. I washed it and stopped. I was planning on waxing it, but after seeing the stains I didn't.  I don't think a clay bar is going to help on the textured surface. It might hit the high surface but in the low areas of the texture i doubt it's going to do anything. From what I'm finding out, it appears to be am actual stain. Is there clear coat on that textured pait. 

Edited by Crobinson16

Try washing your vehicle with Dawn dish soap. This will strip any grease and such of the truck and then apply a coat of wax. If that doesn't work take it to the stealership.

I did this when i bought my truck right before turkey day. After the weather warms up where I live, I will do a better detail, just needed to do something before winter hit. 

I've thought about the dawn, but I thought daws should never be use on a vehicle finish. I thought it did something to the clear coat. Of course it's stained so that's not any better. I'm not going to do much till I hear from GM. Most of why I've read it won't come of. Something about the tire shine and the mold release left on the new tires. 

2 hours ago, Crobinson16 said:

It will come off just take some bug and tar remover and wipe it off not a big deal and recoat with a little wax. NEVER use Dawn dish soap on your paint.

• Like 1

A few thoughts...

Before doing anything drastic, always try a small test spot. It’s really easy to skip, but it could save you a lot of work and worry later.

So, there are a number of excellent citrus based degreasers/cleaners that can attack stubborn stains and contamination. Often they can be used straight for difficult jobs but you should follow their particular dilution ratios to get the result you want. One great product to remove tar/grease/ set-in stains is CarPro TRIX (not affiliated - I think it’s a great product). Apply according to the instructions. You will likely need to follow that with a clay bar surface decontamination. Again, follow the instructions from the product. Once that’s done protect the paint with the wax or sealant of your choice.

Have a look at the detailing forums at autogeek.net

Good luck!

M.

Is it possible it is a paint defect from the factory? I remember when I bought my truck there was a white truck sitting on the used portion of the lot. I asked the salesman about it and it was a GM buyback because there was contamination under the clear and the original purchaser did not want the truck repaired. I looked the truck over and the paint looked very similar to yours. Of course that dealer could have been lying and the paint defect was from excessive tire dressing being thrown on the truck.

Something is definitely not rite. Sometimes GM customer care looks at these post. Maybe they will chime in. I also found a big blob of paint possibly over spray of the texture paint about 3 inches down from the chrome strip on the driver's door. I cant for the life of me understand how GM let's things like this pass any type of quality inspection.

Edited by Crobinson16