2500HD 6.0 headers

Tune yes ... cam no...  You ever even do headers on a 6 liter there Jim Bob lol.  The pickup with long tubes is pretty substantial with the stock cam.

But to answer well you have a few choices.  If you want to throw down like $1600 plus dollars you can buy some American Racing long tubes which personally I think are a waste of money.  They will however come with a connection tube that "should" bolt on.

On the other hand you have Speed Engineering and TSP that both offer headers for the 1/2 ton 6.2 trucks 07 and up and they fit in this 2011+ chassis.  I can't say if the 3.5" Y pipe will work without modification but for a T304 stainless long tube with 3/8" flanges and fit without modification for a 1/4 of the ARH..... I would take that and mod the Y pipe if need be.  

I run the 1 7/8" primary Speed Engineering long tubes on my other truck and they are a good bang for the buck.

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

Tune yes ... cam no...  You ever even do headers on a 6 liter there Jim Bob lol.  The pickup with long tubes is pretty substantial with the stock cam.

But to answer well you have a few choices.  If you want to throw down like $1600 plus dollars you can buy some American Racing long tubes which personally I think are a waste of money.  They will however come with a connection tube that "should" bolt on.

On the other hand you have Speed Engineering and TSP that both offer headers for the 1/2 ton 6.2 trucks 07 and up and they fit in this 2011+ chassis.  I can't say if the 3.5" Y pipe will work without modification but for a T304 stainless long tube with 3/8" flanges and fit without modification for a 1/4 of the ARH..... I would take that and mod the Y pipe if need be.  

I run the 1 7/8" primary Speed Engineering long tubes on my other truck and they are a good bang for the buck.

Hey I checked out speed engineering website, the 1 7/8 headers for the camaro and firebird cost around 260, is that the same headers you got 

I was planning on getting headers for my truck too.  Shorty BBK or JBA.  I have a canned tune and CA intake.  With the exhaust being stock, you think there will be any notice in low torque gain?

2 hours ago, tooch420 said:

I was planning on getting headers for my truck too.  Shorty BBK or JBA.  I have a canned tune and CA intake.  With the exhaust being stock, you think there will be any notice in low torque gain?

Honestly. My opinion. would be to not bother with shorty headers. Not enough gain, especially in the lower end torque department.  Shorty may gain you a small amount of top end hp. But not really anything down low. Long tubes will give you much larger gains across the rpm range. 

On 2/1/2018 at 10:30 PM, SierraHD17 said:

How much power is gained with headers over a stock tuned 6.0?

9 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

15 to 20 whp if you have a good catback already.....totally stock and moving up to something better catback wise could net 25 depending on the stock junk.  Pretty good gain for something that has a zero affect on the vehicles drivablilty.

Is that 15-20hp across the band or at peak rpm?

I have seen many dynos with cold air intakes that show 22hp gains yet they are down power everywhere but the specific small spot where there is a gain. Fakenews...

I am a header fan but a small cam L96 that doesn't spend much time in the 4000+rpm peak power rangers I just don't see making huge gains where they are needed.

The cam isn't that small for one thing and if you don't want to rev it.. well.. buy a diesel.  Using my own truck the bottom end was pretty substantial... went from a truck that couldn't squeak a tire to being able to light them with ease.  I didn't dyno it because I don't give a damn lol.  Truck was tuned prior so it's a pretty good comparison.  And that was 1 7/8" prmaries feeding 3" duals.   You need to actually to do some mods man... not just complain about your trucks.  The Ford you buy will be the same thing.. and Ford's are bullshit to buy parts for.. or tune... or anything.  I had 2 6.2 Fords trucks and went down that road to the point of heads and cams.

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2018 at 10:31 PM, SierraHD17 said:

No use the truck headers.  Not the car stuff. 

I found them, took a little while but finally got to it. What about the 02 sensor option you can get or the get hookup

Edited by SSChevy383

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2018 at 10:31 PM, SierraHD17 said:
On 2/4/2018 at 10:36 PM, SierraHD17 said:

What do you want to do for exhaust behind them?  You can hook the stock forward O2s and wiring up into them as is.  

Basically yes, if I get the 02 sensor option I should be able to take my 02 sensors and put those on the headers and plug them in just like it was factory. now, do I need my cats as far as it throwing a code, if not id rather take them off, havent decided if im going with duals yet, ive heard people say ill lose low end torque but gain more on the top end, but pipe size (single vs dual)  will have alot to do with that also