2014-2018 Silverado/Sierra High Mileage

7 hours ago, jgraves13 said:

Catch can? AFM disabled? Any major issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFM disabled for the majority of the miles, though I did re-enable it on a trip back from Louisiana just to see how much of a difference it made with my fuel consumption.

I’ve also had a Diablew tune on it since about 37000 miles on it. No major issues at all!

6 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

Wow..trucks look excellent!  Hope mine looks that good @ 160K

thanks!  

My truck has no mods.  AFM is enabled, no catch can, stock everything.  Once it warms up ill give it some fresh plugs, fluids and a level.

IMO the key is to keep it clean and park indoors. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

53520562_325723391463139_7959793611854315520_n.thumb.jpg.678a2ea51c9bfa4a6aa4d8b49d12e0c1.jpgWanted to throw in a update on my 2014 silverado, my truck has always had that issue with the drive train knocking when slowing down, multiple times GM had looked at it and stated it was normal, at 87k miles the dealer replaced the torque converter, transmission mount and rear pinion seal.  Now last week it did it again however for the first time a grinding sound followed and it began to do the same knock when accelerating, took it into my local Chevy dealer, at 92900 miles and with 26 days left on my power train warranty they are telling me the transmission has damage and needs repairs, ill keep you all posted with exactly what it is that they are replacing, im glad I also have extended warranty after my factory warranty expires, now im enjoying a 2019 LTZ for the mean time.

Edited by Anthony Young
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2015 GMC Sierra with the Max Tow 5.3 67k miles I have or previous owner replaced the following.

ac compressor and condenser

radiator and thermostat

rotors went ahead and did brakes

vacuum pump replaced

oil cooler lines replaced...

Tires

trans serviced

been an average truck compared to my previous generations.

CFD31FA5-8176-4C93-A49F-69C6444B13C8.jpeg

Edited by Just1news6
Add
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

2014 Sierra SLT 4x4 with Max Tow.

Purchased the truck new with under 25 miles now has 188,278 miles. 

• A/C compressor failed in 2015 with 42,000
  • A/C condenser failed in 2016 with 86,000
  • 110v inverter failed in 2016 with 90,000
  • Transmission due to Torque converter failed in 2017 with 132,000
  • Driver side motor mount failed in 2017 with 152,000
  • Rear pinon seal failed in 2017 with 152,000
  • Shocks all the way around (original shocks were shot) 2018
  • Battery and ground cable replaced at 163,00 in 2018

Overall I'm happy with the truck, I have never had a check engine light on. I would recommend the following.

• Trans Thermostat mod: Running from DFW to Odessa/ El Paso in the summer i would see trans temps of 215 deg.  Once i moded I only get up to 185 deg 190 city. 
  • upgrade to 75w90 in rear end.  when I did the pinon seal I noticed the spider gears are shot.  I'll replace those next year but, I think the new fluid is to thin.  Truck makes a loud clunk when going in gear, you can turn the drive shaft almost 180 deg due to the play in the gears. Ring and pinon tolerance checked ok. 
  • Trans tune, when they replaced the trans they updated the tune.  Night and Day compared to the original programming
  • Catch can, I drain about 4oz of fluid after every 2k miles.  
  • Running in the south, I should have been running 0w30.  I'm currently hearing a little bit of piston slap.  The thicker oil helps but I'm guessing at 200k I'll be replacing the engine.  

So I was looking to see if anyone else has a piston slap issue at high mileage,  I know the di system is loud but I just started noticing the slap at around 180k. very loud using 0w20, once I switched to 0w30 i can only really hear it when I'm up against a wall, like a drive thru. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have a 2016 suburban 5.3 2wd lt and a 2018 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ltz.

the truck is a garage queen bought early 2018 New with 1 miles on the od. Has 1957 miles (400 of that returning from purchasing) All stock. Afm enabled no catch can.

The suburban however ever is our family workhorse. Pulls my bass boat and 18’ pipe top tandem trailer with x2 Harley’s sometimes x3 bikes with ease on long road trips. Family vacations with the kids. Purchased new beginning of 2017 Currently has just over 112,000. I do all routine maintenance myself penzoil full synthetic every 5k on the dot along with tire rotation. Air filter stp premium ever 10k. Lifetime alignment from firestone done ever 10k.  Everything else tranny, rear end all other fluids changed at intervals suggested in owners manual. All stock no modifications whatsoever. Afm enabled no catch can. And zero oil consumption! Interior has held up nicely leather still looks brand new front and back. No paint chipping. 

Plugs/wires at 99,996

tires at 72k

brakes factory still over 70-75% front and rear. ( 90% highway miles ) it’s 40 miles to town. And we mainly use it for road trips.

battery 101,500

tranny fluid 75k 

rear end 75k

coolant 100k

only issues I have had is the typical air condenser/compressor at 79k. Replaced under warranty. Second the windshield just crack out of no where from one side to the other, no damage no rock chips. I imagine the climate change from driving across the states from Texas to Canada came out the next morning after arrival and there it was. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Rdpatriot said:

I have a 2016 suburban 5.3 2wd lt and a 2018 Silverado 5.3 4x4 ltz.

the truck is a garage queen bought early 2018 New with 1 miles on the od. Has 1957 miles (400 of that returning from purchasing) All stock. Afm enabled no catch can.

The suburban however ever is our family workhorse. Pulls my bass boat and 18’ pipe top tandem trailer with x2 Harley’s sometimes x3 bikes with ease on long road trips. Family vacations with the kids. Purchased new beginning of 2017 Currently has just over 112,000. I do all routine maintenance myself penzoil full synthetic every 5k on the dot along with tire rotation. Air filter stp premium ever 10k. Lifetime alignment from firestone done ever 10k.  Everything else tranny, rear end all other fluids changed at intervals suggested in owners manual. All stock no modifications whatsoever. Afm enabled no catch can. And zero oil consumption! Interior has held up nicely leather still looks brand new front and back. No paint chipping. 

Plugs/wires at 99,996

tires at 72k

brakes factory still over 70-75% front and rear. ( 90% highway miles ) it’s 40 miles to town. And we mainly use it for road trips.

battery 101,500

tranny fluid 75k 

rear end 75k

coolant 100k

only issues I have had is the typical air condenser/compressor at 79k. Replaced under warranty. Second the windshield just crack out of no where from one side to the other, no damage no rock chips. I imagine the climate change from driving across the states from Texas to Canada came out the next morning after arrival and there it was. 

Jeesh...Now that is somebody who follows the book!  Nice, many miles too!  That baby is getting pounded no doubt 2017 112K?  Crap!

Edited by mookdoc6

On 4/30/2018 at 4:05 PM, Eddie 70 said:

Just a little shot of my miles per tank. You can see I am over 100k miles and I can still get almost 600 miles out of a tank of gas. Still going strong.

600 Miles Per Tank.jpg

So... You drive accross country?   That's like all highway.  What are you engine specs?  What's your average speed?  What's size tank.  

I can dig this.  O hate driving my truck in the California cities, it burns gas in traffic, but going to the mountains to hunt and fish, whish I do a few times a week l, I get great gas mileage.  So it is really a fun truck, not a daily commuter or anything like that.  Mine is a 18 5.3

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jaimeastin said:

So... You drive accross country?   That's like all highway.  What are you engine specs?  What's your average speed?  What's size tank.  

I can dig this.  O hate driving my truck in the California cities, it burns gas in traffic, but going to the mountains to hunt and fish, whish I do a few times a week l, I get great gas mileage.  So it is really a fun truck, not a daily commuter or anything like that.  Mine is a 18 5.3

At the time, my truck was my daily driver. I drove it 82 miles round trip to work. Roughly 15 miles on the interstate and 25 through the country. Mine is a 5.3 Double Cab, no lift, stock sized tires. I've since gotten a daily driver Honda that I use for the trip to work and back. I just got new tires put on last Friday, August of 2019, and I am now at 109, 800 miles. That pic was in April of 2018 with 102k miles.

I can’t really say what my truck gets because I don’t drive it. Dash says 23.5mpg average I’ve never cleared it but it says last 400 miles which is what I have selected. The Burban is 22.7. Both have 20” Chevy rims with factory tire size. Calculated that from when we got it until now it’s never changed unless I’m hooked up to one of my trailers. Whether I’m in my truck or in my burban I drive the same. I don’t accelerate hard or brake hard unless unsafe not to. Yes, I am that guy that has it cruise control at the speed limit in the slow lane. The wife enjoy the drive and I have no reason to go fast or accelerate like I’m at the drag strip. None of my vehicles have ever even come close to full throttle. Heck that I can think of I’ve never seen 3k rpm on truck burban 4-4.5k due to trailers but not driving hard. I do baby the hell out of them. I might aggravate people but they aren’t buying my vehicles and they aren’t paying my gas bill either. My Onstar driving score it’s 94% (yes proud of that) only reason I can think of that it isn’t a 100% is it cuts you down for late night driving which we set a point on the map and I don’t stop until I’m there. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 4:05 PM, Eddie 70 said:

At the time, my truck was my daily driver. I drove it 82 miles round trip to work. Roughly 15 miles on the interstate and 25 through the country. Mine is a 5.3 Double Cab, no lift, stock sized tires. I've since gotten a daily driver Honda that I use for the trip to work and back. I just got new tires put on last Friday, August of 2019, and I am now at 109, 800 miles. That pic was in April of 2018 with 102k miles.

I'm in a similar boat as you with my truck...80 mile daily round trip commute, probably 60% highway, the rest country back roads. I easily average 25.5 for the week (500 miles) and when I fill up it often says 660 plus miles till empty. The thing that hurts my gas mileage is the colder weather (bellow 40 degrees) and the short errands on the weekends. Other than that the truck has been absolute magic since new (2018 with 35,000 miles now).

I don't know if I'll commute forever in this thing, or eventually buy a commuter car, but for right now I'm loving it...sit higher up, comfortable, good gas mileage and I never have to worry about weather/snow/bad road conditions. But at the pace I'm going I'll have 280,000 miles when the thing is ten years old. So I'll have to make some decisions at some point.

• Like 2

Broke 100,400 last week.

Nothing but a pinion seal for unusual maintenance. Wiper blades once for wear and tear. Getting plugs and wires this week plus full fluids services. 27.48 mpg life time average. No catch can. No AFM delete. No Chevy shake or....or.....or....or that either. Just under half these miles since early last spring (2018). Cut the severe service schedule in half. Lowered temperatures of fluids.  Used good products and drove it like an adult. Sit's outside year around. Lots of personalized modifications. Looks the same under the hood, under the chassis and in the cab. 

That said I suppose it could blow up on start up next turn of the key or a deer could take an interest, eh?   

IMG_0177.thumb.JPG.4b9a91c87e362ac23051dccdbb741f27.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1