Ground 218 and Service Stabiltrac and Brake message only issue ??

My 2014 Sierra with 42k has since around 300 miles popped up the message to service stabiltrac and brake together from time to time. My dealer said they can not find a issue with either system and the alarm would have to be in to troubleshoot. Problem with that is it only stays on for a few miles then goes off. I have read about wheel sensors and now the G218 issue. I am going to pull the dash and look at the ground and fix that but I was wondering if anyone else has done this with only the two messages I have coming in and it fixed the issue. It looks like other people has had a lot more issues like more error messages and the jerking steering wheel and dimming lights. I hope I correct my issue but I am thinking the ground while not hurting to check it and fix it is not my issue. I thought years ago it was the Range but I got rid of it and the message continues to pop up with no set frequency. Hoping that someone chimes in that had the identical issue and did the G218 fix and it worked to give me some hope.

Yotaman

Update 

I did the G218 mod yesrerday. A couple notes for anyone interested. Watching the youtube video is a big help. The nut that holds the ground is deeper and harder to get at than I realized. I used a 10mm wrench to loosen it but once you get about a half turn loose it will thread right off. I did not cut the insulation I simply removed nut pulled off ground wire the folded the insulation material back towards the pass side then put the ground back with the nut on top then let the insulation fold back over the spot where it went. Thus far I have started my truck 8-10 times and still no alarms. If I go through next weekend without any I will consider it fixed....  could it really have been this simple ??

thanks

Yotaman

Well damm damm damm I spoke too soon.... came back on next start. Knew it could not be that simple.

Yotaman (last GM  Man )

Edited by Yotaman

A couple of notes I learned back when I did this fix:

It's easier to get to the ground stud if you remove the tweeter first.

Even if it looks like a good ground I would sand/file both the top of the dash and the underside of the nut.

Do both sides while you have the dash apart (the G218 is on the driver side but there is a similar ground on the passenger side).

I've had the stabilitrac service message on my 2015 a couple times.  Went to the dealer the first time, and they immediately asked if I had been driving on loose gravel any that day;  I had been for just a few minutes.   Apparently loose rock can cause this error.  Mine went off shortly thereafter I drove around the first time.  It popped up just a couple weekends ago leaving the river, heard a nasty rock hit the underside of the truck, message popped up immediately.  It went back off again on next start of the truck though.

Appreciate your responses Guys. Mine seems to do it every afternoon at work as soon a I start the motor. So I am not even moving yet and both alarms come in always both of em never just one. For a while I have thought maybe it is something to do with the Bluetooth or when I connect my phone by cable to the truck but I cannot find any consistency in it. I will look into the brake pedal further too. It is only a nuisance but I still irks me. I am thinking it sitting in the hot sun like a ground point may lose good contact from contraction and expansion  or something too ???

You get to be a half azz mechanic owning these newer trucks these days I tell ya that.

Yotaman

Edited by Yotaman

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

No mine still does it just not as frequent as it used to. I guess I will revisit the G218 ground and sand the connection and do the other side as well since I know how to and it has slowed down since I first did it but that could be a fluke as well.

Yotaman

• 2 months later...

As a update I tried sanding the G218 ground as well as the one on the opposite side but that did not work, I ran a extra ground from the battery negative post to the chassis thinking that if the ground was bad maybe that would stop it to no avail. I was getting my tires rotated at my local tire dealer and mentioned the issue to him and his mechanic pulled a few different codes and said it looks like a communication issue but we do not do that type of repair. So I called GM Customer Service to complain that I have lived with this for almost 5 years and am upset that a tire dealer could hone in on a possible problem but not a GM dealer...…..so of course apologies and understands but my truck has to be checked by a dealer to go forward. So I go back to my dealer who is under new ownership and a new looking service crew. I explain what has happened and they take the truck wait an hour and then tell me the brake switch is bad and we will order it. I go back next Friday to have it replaced. The new service advisor apologizes says it should have been fixed a long time ago. I won't know for a few weeks after if that really fixes it but the service manager seems genuine and seems like he really wants the problem fixed. A post I read a while back someone here said they had the same issue on a 2011 or 13 maybe and it was the brake switch so hopefully I will get lucky. Just posting so if anyone else has this issue It may give them hope to possibly fix it.

Yotaman

• 2 weeks later...

Final update I hope. Over a week with no alarms coming in but I was confused they replaced the Brake fluid reservoir level switch and that seems to have fixed the issue. Not sure why I never got low alarm but I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth. New owner dealer service mgr replaced it under factory warranty too. So hopefully I have many more miles trouble free.

22R

• 1 year later...
On 3/31/2019 at 6:02 AM, Yotaman said:

Final update I hope. Over a week with no alarms coming in but I was confused they replaced the Brake fluid reservoir level switch and that seems to have fixed the issue. Not sure why I never got low alarm but I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth. New owner dealer service mgr replaced it under factory warranty too. So hopefully I have many more miles trouble free.

22R

Is your issue still fixed? I have a 2018 and get service stabillitrack randomly and immediately after startup then disappears. No other messages. The G18 dash ground should not be an issue on my 2018. I did clean the negative battery cable frame ground on the passenger side frame rail near the front fender liner. Mine had a decent amount of wax blocking the connection. Haven't seen the message but its only been a week.