Lowering 2500hd?

I am pulling a 5th wheel rv and have an issue.  The 5th wheel needs to be raised or my truck needs to be lowered by about 2 inches (all adjustments on trailer and hitch have been done).  I wouldn't mind if the truck was lowered as it would give me a bit more margin for fitting in garage.  Has anyone lowered their truck, any issues, general cists,issues ( I do not plan to use off rode).

2017 silverado 2500 xl 4x4, trailer package

I’m 2wd and one of the 4wd guys will need to chime in.  But two thoughts. First,  you can likely drop 2” and end up level given the factory rake. Second, I think you can adjust front height, if needed, via torsion bars....just get an alignment afterwards. 

Someone on another forum suggested hooking up and then leveling the trailer front/rear using wood shims or your preferred device and figuring out how much it takes to get things level. If you need just 1 or 2 inches, the shackles should work well for you. More than that and you’ll need to raise the trailer with a sub-frame.  Depending on your pin weight, a 2” drop may put you in a position where you won’t have enough suspension travel and you will be hitting  the bump stops. If you need to go with a 2 inch drop, you may need to get some timbrens or similar. 

Once you you get the trailer level then you can figure out if you need to drop the front to get the truck level when towing. 

Edited by Shall36

• 3 weeks later...

Ditto!   I lowered my 2500 with a set of McGaughy's 2" drop shackles and installed Sumo's.  I can put over a ton of material in the back of the pickup and it still is level. That 2" drop in the back is a world of difference compared to the "cat in heat" factory setting, and with mine, there is still about 1.5" of rake.   Ride and handling greatly improved over stock.   And my pickup is a rural farm use situation.  I have been off road frequently with it on the property and the lowering in the back makes no difference.  I suppose it might if one wants to play in the rocks of Moab.

Edited by Cowpie

• 3 weeks later...

Big shoutout to Cliff for all his posts on the lowering shackles and the Sumosprings. I have a 1” drop and my fifth wheel was chucking. I put Sumosprings on and it really smoothed things out. I think I was hitting the bump stops before. 

This topic is timely as I am considering getting a new 1Ton SRA to pull my fifth wheel toyhauler.   Currently have an 02 2500HD with the 8.1/Allison setup.  My new 40 Toy hauler is around 15,000lbs with a pin weight around 2,800lbs.

This trailer puts my 2500HD at its upper limits and the GVWR is about 400lbs over.  (9,600 lbs vs. 9,200 lbs spec).  As much as I don't want to give up the 8.1/Allison combo, a DMax/Allison 1 Ton with the 11,600 GVWR would be better for pulling and stopping.  The problem is the new 3500's are 3" taller than my old 2500HD and my trailer is already 2" nose high.   This would not by an issue but the height tot he top of the AC unit on my trailer is at 13'-6".  Can't really go much higher safely.

My current truck settles 2" under load.  It used to be 3" but I put Timbrens on to help the stability.  As noted above, I can't take any more out of the trailer so the new truck would have to be lowered.  It sounds like the new trucks would squat about 2" as well.  This still leaves me 3" too high.

It looks like the extended shackles are the only real option to lower the back.  I would need to keep the load rating with the 3,000 lb pin weight my trailer has.

Is this really the only option out there? 

Thanks.

Edited by ugeesta
another thought