In need of ordering advice

Ok here is the dilemma.  My brother wants a new Denali and where he lives there are two GMC dealerships.  He placed an order with the one closest to him. They did not require any deposit and used one of their allotments being there is no pricing yet they said they will work with him on price when it gets here no guarantee on invoice pricing which has him worried that when it comes in what stops the dealership from asking full MSRP.  He is now considering ordering the same truck from the other dealership just in case one of the dealerships is not willing to negotiate on price.  His only problem is he hates to order from both knowing he is only going to buy from one.  He is not ordering nothing crazy he just wants to make sure the truck he wants is available for purchase before the end of Oct. which is when his current lease is up.  What do yall think.

5 hours ago, strickland604 said:

Ok here is the dilemma.  My brother wants a new Denali and where he lives there are two GMC dealerships.  He placed an order with the one closest to him. They did not require any deposit and used one of their allotments being there is no pricing yet they said they will work with him on price when it gets here no guarantee on invoice pricing which has him worried that when it comes in what stops the dealership from asking full MSRP.  He is now considering ordering the same truck from the other dealership just in case one of the dealerships is not willing to negotiate on price.  His only problem is he hates to order from both knowing he is only going to buy from one.  He is not ordering nothing crazy he just wants to make sure the truck he wants is available for purchase before the end of Oct. which is when his current lease is up.  What do yall think.

I am actually in the exact same situation, I am wanting to order a truck but the dealership that I deals with knows how much I wants to buy one of these 2019's. Sadly the truck I wants is a little too pricy and the only way I be able to afford it if I gets some type of a deal on it, But this is very unlikely because usually when dealerships gets a totally brand new vechicles they don't give very much of a discount. Right now on a 2018 its a pretty good promotions currently on. I was considering as well ordering the exact same truck at another dealership that I don't deal with,

Doesn’t seem to matter in my opinion. If your brother is willing to pay dealer invoice which is only a couple thousand off MSRP he can get that at any dealership. Invoice is by no means a good deal. Order the truck and see what happens. I personally won’t buy a new truck unless I’m getting $12-15 off OTD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brother has a tendency to obsess over things and think the worst case scenario.  Like I told him hardly nobody is going to pay MSRP for a truck and dealerships know that.  If the want deal then let them keep it.  There are to many out there  that are willing to make the sell as long as it is with in reason.

Some will be willing to pay more to be the first to have a new product.

It's marketing 101. 

Won't be many big discounts til the early must-havers get theirs, and until the product pipeline gets full.

Spent many years in the auto parts manufacture/supply to the OEMS an have seen this have time an time again.  Assembly plants and supplier plants running as much as possible, including overtime to build newly release product.  Pipeline gets full, and production rate returns to normal and discounting begins to be advertised to try and maintain sales pace. 

Get those willing to pay extra while you can. 

Dealers and manufacturers are in the business to make money.  why would the discount something that they can't build fast enough? 

If he wants to be the first kid on the block with the new Denali he's going to have to play their game.

They do have some incentive to get some on the road to build interest - so they may not price over msrp, but the discounts certainly won't be 'deep'  

If your brother wants to be the first on his block with a 2019 Sierra Denali he is going to get hosed.  Expect to pay full MSRP or a minimal discount at best.  My advice is wait for model year end or wait until the kinks have been worked out and get a 2020/2021.  By then discounts will be way better since they need to move trucks to remain competitive with other offerings.

• 2 months later...

Find a volume dealer. They will give the best discounts up front. Dealers want to sell them fast because the faster they sell them the more allocations they get and they ate able to order more of the higher end that brings in the money. Also they will have the most allocations when the production of other body styles ramp up