Is the Lower Valance Even Need?

Hey Everyone,

Just curious as the clips the hold my Lower Valance on my 2012 Sierra has broke I have removed it. My question is what does it really do and should I replace it or can I just not bother with it. truck still drives fine. I personally like how it looks without it hanging down. From what I have read online is very mixed thoughts and opinions on what it does and is it needed or not and some people say to replace it some say don't bother others say if the part is cheap might as well replace it. If someone of you experts can shine some more light on if I REALLY need it or not and what purpose it really is serving being on the truck that would be great. I have attached an image indicating the piece I am referring to.

Thanks

s-l1000.jpg

If a blind man leads a blind man they both fall into a pit. Matthew 5:14. (paraphrased) 

It is part of the aerodynamics package. Cleans up the air under the truck to lower drag. It matters only if fuel efficiency matters to you. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SeekNDstroy2012 said:

Hey Everyone,

Just curious as the clips the hold my Lower Valance on my 2012 Sierra has broke I have removed it. My question is what does it really do and should I replace it or can I just not bother with it. truck still drives fine. I personally like how it looks without it hanging down. From what I have read online is very mixed thoughts and opinions on what it does and is it needed or not and some people say to replace it some say don't bother others say if the part is cheap might as well replace it. If someone of you experts can shine some more light on if I REALLY need it or not and what purpose it really is serving being on the truck that would be great. I have attached an image indicating the piece I am referring to.

Thanks

s-l1000.jpg

Can you provide a real-life picture of the part in question? Does it look like this: 

maxresdefault (3).jpg

8 hours ago, starman8tdc said:

Same part in the picture you posted.

Can you provide a real-life picture of the part in question? Does it look like this: 

maxresdefault (3).jpg

• Haha 1

According to Google there can be several uses for them. 

It will increase the efficiency of the cooling system, by forcing more air through the radiator, as well as creating a lower pressure zone behind the radiator - similar to what happens in the wheel well at highway speeds. 

A common spoiler diffuses air by increasing amounts of turbulence flowing over the shape, "spoiling" the laminar flow and providing a cushion for the laminar boundary layer. However, other types of airflow may require the spoiler to operate differently and take on vastly different physical characteristics.

They are also used to decrease the amount of air going underneath the vehicle to reduce the drag coefficient and lift. 

It is also used for aesthetic reasons -  to give your vehicle a "lowered" look. 

Many people ram the lip spoilers into the sidewalk when they are parking, and rip them off of the car. You don't "NEED" to have it there. You probably wont notice any difference if it is removed. 

• Thanks 1

Mine has been off since about 2013 with no noticeable effects.  My wife drove my truck to work one day and decided that it wasn't needed as she pulled up too close to the curb.  One end broke but was still hanging on by a thread...until I got the truck back and was driving down the interstate.  Heard something that sounded like something scrubbing the pavement.  Pulled over and looked around the truck and found it dragging the ground.  I ripped it off right then and haven't thought anything about it since.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input I'm going to decide if I should buy a new one, I probably should but I'll see if I notice a decrease in fuel mileage. I'm sure I would notice it in July when I take my trip it's 671KM or 416 MI one way. I can get a new one from the dealer for $109 none of the local parts stores have a listing for the part, I've also looked online at aftermarket parts and by the time I pay $75+ for shipping and the cost of the part and currency exchange I'm over the cost that I would pay at my local GM dealer. When and IF i replace it I'm going to use PL Premium around the surface where it meets with the rest of the bumper and a couple self tapping screws to help keep it from falling off again in the future.

Thanks

• Like 1

Motor Trend asked Chevrolet before they removed that piece on their long-term-test off-road Colorado last year. Chevy was evasive and mumbled an answer about somehow affecting aerodynamics and cooling. Motor Trend removed the valence piece anyway, and noticed no ill effects—they maybe lost 0.25 mpg but gained front clearance off-road. 

42k miles on my 2016 Silverado without it and I still get the advertised mpg. Looks better without it imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk