Trailer issue -2015 chevy 1500 w/ trailer brake

Truck randomly "check trailer wiring" followed immediately by "trailer connected"

I replaced the trailer side plug first and it made it worse, then I replaced the truck side trailer plug.

Hooked it up drove 50ft it threw the dash code. Drove 10 miles to my house. Nothing. Put my rzr on it, threw the message 10 times in a mile. Then it stopped, drove 40 miles absolutely nothing...?

Trailer is an older 2002 rice tandem axle trailer.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks, I will try the emery cloth. But they are both brand new plugs.

My message is never about brakes, just wiring

• 2 weeks later...

Update:
Went under the trailer and wiggled and moved every single wire, it didnt trip this message.

Then when I left with trailer attached BAM it started saying "check trailer wiring... trailer connected".
I have learned its ONLY the brake that messes up. With my lights turned "on" the lights never go away when the truck says that message. Sometimes it will say check trailer wiring and the trailer brake wont work for a minute or two then it will kick back in. BUT while this is happening, the lights still work.

I'm about to replace the trailer battery for electric brakes. It's pretty old.

• 3 months later...
Update:
Went under the trailer and wiggled and moved every single wire, it didnt trip this message.

Then when I left with trailer attached BAM it started saying "check trailer wiring... trailer connected".
I have learned its ONLY the brake that messes up. With my lights turned "on" the lights never go away when the truck says that message. Sometimes it will say check trailer wiring and the trailer brake wont work for a minute or two then it will kick back in. BUT while this is happening, the lights still work.

I'm about to replace the trailer battery for electric brakes. It's pretty old.

My truck does this exact same thing. My dad removed the brake battery for some reason but on his truck, 2001 2500 Chevy, he doesn’t have any issues. Did the trailer battery fix your issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same issue.   Could not figure out for the life of me.   2018 1500... I checked all the wiring.   Under the truck the triller wiring comes for a hub that also has the brakes, LED bed lights etc... I both the cable and swapped it just incase (dealer could never duplicate issue). I then bought a new battery for trailer brakes system (not because fo the issue but because it was older and going on a long trip through mountains).   I have not had the issue again.  THIS MAKES ZERO SENSE.  But... it is what it is.   I have yet to have the issue again (going on about 3 months).   Take it for what it is worth.  

I just dealt with this issue. I changed to the GM recommended trailer end plug which did not fix the problem. Ended up checking all grounds on the trailer. there was a ground terminal block that was corroded. Changed that and cut wires back to clean copper. Also where the main ground wire attached to the trailer frame, removed and cleaned the ground block and frame to bare metal and through bolted it back onto the frame, then cut back ground wire to fresh clean copper. Problem solved for me! Hope this helps.  Also could be a shorted to ground trailer brake wire somewhere, often times the wire that is fed through the axle grounds out inside. 

This is happening to me in my 2016 Silverado 2500HD duramax/Allison while towing a fifth wheel 35ft coach. In June a dexter axle  dealer checked the trailer wiring and replace one of the wires that travels through the axle as it was shorting out also re-did all the connections. In August was leaving the campground on the beach and had to use 4-wheel drive to get out, shortly thereafter I started getting the "trailer connected" followed by "Check Trailer Wiring" messages. Changed the 7-way cable and connector from trailer and the truck, no change. At local dealer service manager connected truck to another camper and did not get messages and breaks worked. Continued to get message as soon as I connect trailer. went to a different dealer and they said the "trailer control module" was defective and replaced it. Time to move the trailer again, connected and got the same messages. They will come and go, stay on and off for 15 to 20min the will go away until i apply breaks again, then they are back on and off for awhile. 

I have never actually lost the breaks on the trailer. This last move I did notice that as I applied breaks the trailer breaking was not proportional to the pressure applied. Some times it was a smooth stop and sone times it has a full slam stop. I can find nothing wrong on the trailer, although I am unable to remove the tires to check electric magnet wiring, I just do not have the strength anymore to lift the tires.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh every trailer repair dealer or mobile repair service are broke over 2 months ahead.