Stock size AT

I am about to get new tires.  I want an AT that’s not too heavy and doesn’t tank my mpg.   And doesn’t look like something a 17-year-old would install.  Stock 275/55r20.

ive priced:

continental terrain contact at

michelin at2

bridgestone Revo 3

firestone Destination at

cooper at3

toyo open country at2 

I have a spreadsheet to keep up.   No more than two tires quoted by each dealer.  I’m at a grand, +/- $150.  

i think I will install the continental.   TireRack has blocked my IP address because I’ve spent so much time on their site (and others).

• 3 weeks later...

My wife's Subaru has had a set of Continental Terraincontacts on for almost 30,000 miles, and neither of us have 1 bad thing to say about those tires.  IIRC we've used half of their usable tread depth.  If we still have the car when these tires are due to be replaced, I'll buy another set of Terraincontacts - they've been that good.

The Cooper Discoverer ATP 275/65/18's I've had on my Silverado for almost 45k miles have been good.. I will buy another set soon that should get me to 90k miles... Good MPG, they look cool and they're still pretty quiet on the highway, not as quiet as highway tires but, pretty darn good... $$ was pretty good, they're discount tire exclusive...

On 6/20/2018 at 11:09 PM, Boardmember said:

I am about to get new tires.  I want an AT that’s not too heavy and doesn’t tank my mpg.   And doesn’t look like something a 17-year-old would install.  Stock 275/55r20.

ive priced:

continental terrain contact at

michelin at2

bridgestone Revo 3

firestone Destination at

cooper at3

toyo open country at2 

I have a spreadsheet to keep up.   No more than two tires quoted by each dealer.  I’m at a grand, +/- $150.  

i think I will install the continental.   TireRack has blocked my IP address because I’ve spent so much time on their site (and others).

Why didn't the BFG KO2s make the list?  What did you wind up getting and how are they now?

• Confused 1

I special ordered the Contis through my local Firestone dealer.

I recognize the superiority of the BFG in the AT category, but it’s a little overkill for my predominantly street use.   And I was concerned about tire weight (if I didn’t need it) and some reviewers’ less than stellar comments about the BFG wet traction performance (and we can believe everything we read on the internet!).

The Continental Terrain Contacts in 275/55 20 LOOK GREAT!

I only have about 600 miles on them and it took half that before I could really say they’re the quietest tire I remember running.  (Yes, including my Michelin LTX2 on another truck) Smooth ride too.  But the break in period took a bit.  I also played with the pressures a bit, difficult in this heat but settled on 35.5psi all around.   Seems like a sweet spot for the truck.

Wet traction is as good as the best I’ve run and better than most.  This can diminish with time though, so I’ll need to check in annually on this one.  But for now, very confidence inspiring. 

MPG - ‘do no harm’ was my goal.  We’ve had extraordinarily hot weather last week - even for us - and I’ve remote started a few times as I approach, etc., and my mileage has suffered.   Coincidental to the new tires (which look GREAT by the way) was the heat.  Which or both is to blame?  Dunno yet.   

But do think I made the right call.  

Edited by Boardmember
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Boardmember said:

I special ordered the Contis through my local Firestone dealer.

Are they P-Metric or LT tires?  Post up some photos when you can of them, don't remember seeing them on a truck.

P275/55 20

ok I will.  I’ve successfully posted a pic once and unsuccessfully posted two sideways.  I figure in the next thousand or so posts, I’ll figure it out.

might take a couple days.  Been in Boston last week til this evening and work and a meeting tomorrow night.  I will though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Try discount tire if you have 'em locally... I have Cooper Discoverer ATP's on my truck with about 45k miles on 'em and they're still decent... Mine are 18's but, didn't come close the $1000 installed... More like $800 OTD IIRC.