2017 Canyon 8 Speed Absolutely Horrible

On 6/27/2018 at 6:29 PM, Canyon Conundrum said:

Anyone have 8 speed transmission issues?

It shifts way to quick into high gears, press on the gas its like you have a standard trans and forgot to down shift, its starts doing the chug a lug. 

Press a little more and you get the dreaded torque convertor shudder. Press a little more on throttle and it drops 3 or 4 gears and is screaming!

Then there is the slow reverse engagement in the morning after it sits over night. And the next reverse engagement is so hard it shakes the whole drivetrain! I bought a new truck so I wouldn't have any issues. I dread going to the dealer for transmission issues at 7 thousand miles. I would trade it but ill loose thousands. I am really amazed GM would let this transmission out the door with all these problems.There are a few bulletins out with the issues I have. Anyone have any fixes done that solved the problem? One of the bulletins involves a transmission flush with mobil 1 trans fluid,im not buying that. The shudder is slowly getting worse,has to be wrecking the torque convertor clutch! 

Gary, lots of the same issues in the forum with the 8 spd. My 'shudder' issues started around 8 thousand miles and got worse up until they found the technical service bulletin detailing the trans flush.  The flush fixes the shudder, temporarily.   My shudder is back with a vengeance at 23K miles.  Taking it in again for an oil change and the transmission issue will be brought up again.  It's under warranty.. yeah... but like you, I think there is probably some long term damage being done to the transmission and torque converter.  I'll address that in my next visit with the service manager.   All the other issues you listed with the transmisison... lazy gear changes, quick to find the top gear, slow to downshift when you need power are all characteristics of a transmission built to get high mileage at the expense of performance.  All cars and trucks are going that way I think.  That's the world we live in.  You're on the right track knowing about the TSB on the trans flush.  Let us know how your service visit turns out.  Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. How ironic I have turned 8000 miles today shudder slowly getting worse. I made appointment with dealer today.

Its a shame because it could be a nice transmission-

Also there is a new TSB   18-na-177   came out in June, for Colorado and Canyon stating a convertor replacement in stead of a flush.

Its hard to find it on internet but there is a Colorado /Canyon group called  #700 misfits..

Goggle it and the TSB is posted on the blog section of site.

I hope that helps you.

Good luck!

Also if this helps,

For what ever reason the shudder seems more prevalent with a 1/4 tank or so of fuel on board.

Its sounds crazy (could be) but that's what im seeing. Extra weight with a full tank than a 1/4 tank ?  Don't know but if I take a trip an run it down to a 1/4 tank shudder is more prevalent.

Maybe its a trans temp issue on a long run-  

Having been a transmission mechanic (before they renamed them to technicians) way back when lockup convertors were first implemented by Chrysler(1977/8) I would not count on the new trans tech hired to actually have any hands on experience.  

GM will eventually get it right.  Whenever they release new technology there is a problem phase.  No manufacturer can test or trial all driving conditions or test all possible driver habits. If these issues were happening to 100% of the sold units, that would be poor design.  The only people that will start a thread on the 8 speed are the ones having problems with them.  The only 8 speeds the techs see are the ones acting up.  When I was working at the Chrysler dealer I bought a brand new Mustang.  My service manager asked me why didn't I buy a new Chrysler product instead.  My 21 year old logic was "I never saw a good one" .  Every Plymouth I saw was broken.  Had I worked at the Ford dealership I likely would have picked up a E58 equipped Volare instead of the King Cobra.. 

• Like 2

I made an appointment at a different dealer than the selling dealer, which told me they currently had no transmission tech.And to get back to them in  2 weeks they should have someone by then.I felt uncomfortable with a "newbie" trying to tackle the issue. I have had them do warranty work on my prior GM truck-they were excellent.    

• 4 weeks later...

Had Torque Convertor changed and cooler flush per bulletin 18-na-177 . All is good, no shudder seems to shift a lot better.  Dealer did a fine job as to getting me a loaner vehicle to keeping me informed as to what was going on. I didn't buy the vehicle there but it was closer to me than selling dealer. None the less they treated me like I bought it there. Very impressed     

I am a mechanic in a Gmc Buick dealer, I wonder how many of you guys that own a V6 4 WD Canyon or Colorado realize how expensive any normal repair like a starter replacement or a torque converter seal is going to cost on this nightmare of a vehicle to repair?A starter pays 5.2 hours warranty plus diagnostic time at 150.00 per hour.The seal pays 11.2 . I just did a torque converter replacement for tcc shudder and it pays 10.9 and takes every second of it.Make sure you all get an extended warranty if you plan on keeping this shit box after the power train warranty expires.No one will touch it after warranty for those times.

Edited by mjm-1957
omission
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2018 at 8:29 PM, Canyon Conundrum said:

What are you saying? It has to break down -not run for lemon law?

There are bulletins on the exact issue I am having-

If it cant be corrected after 4 attempts I am sure the lemon law would come into play

There are more issues with 1/2 ton 8 speeds -

Bigger truck -quicker to have shudder

I just lemon lawed my 2018 Colorado. Bought it From Hendrick Chevrolet In Cary NC May 29th 2018 and it Vibrated the day I drove it home.

after numerous tires, tire and rim swaps, drive shaft balancing, drive shaft changes Differential changes, road force balancing the tires, and on and on and on the last one now it the rear seal on the tranny has blown and is leaking tranny fluid all over my garage. the truck just turned 5K Miles, Hendrick never stepped up to help me out So I filed with the BBB autoline and GM has agreed to buy back my truck for full price less the Usage fee, which is the mileage the truck has on it after the third attempt to fix the same issue.They do some kind of calculation and that's what you don't get back when they cut the final check. Mine was 1989 miles and it worked out to be $784.00  The tranny is very unpredictable for sure. I have videos of my tachometer when I leave in the morning going up over 4500 Rpm before it shifts into 3rd gear. I stepped up to a 2016 Canyon SLT. Figured I needed to get away from the 8 speed tranny and get the 6 speed. And hopefully buying used' all the faults would be worked out of it by now.

Good luck, but I can tell you it is a very frustrating road to go especially if the dealer you bought the headache from bails on you and treats you like a leper which is exactly what mine did.

After about 300 miles shudder is back. And yes it was the "updated" convertor which was installed. Back to dealer again this  Thursday. That will be 2nd try and counting. I am  really disappointed in this vehicle. I have to go thru the motions before I can do anything. Trust me a real fix would be outstanding  as it could be a nice truck.

On 23/09/2018 at 4:54 PM, Keith B said:

I just lemon lawed my 2018 Colorado. Bought it From Hendrick Chevrolet In Cary NC May 29th 2018 and it Vibrated the day I drove it home.

after numerous tires, tire and rim swaps, drive shaft balancing, drive shaft changes Differential changes, road force balancing the tires, and on and on and on the last one now it the rear seal on the tranny has blown and is leaking tranny fluid all over my garage. the truck just turned 5K Miles, Hendrick never stepped up to help me out So I filed with the BBB autoline and GM has agreed to buy back my truck for full price less the Usage fee, which is the mileage the truck has on it after the third attempt to fix the same issue.They do some kind of calculation and that's what you don't get back when they cut the final check. Mine was 1989 miles and it worked out to be $784.00  The tranny is very unpredictable for sure. I have videos of my tachometer when I leave in the morning going up over 4500 Rpm before it shifts into 3rd gear. I stepped up to a 2016 Canyon SLT. Figured I needed to get away from the 8 speed tranny and get the 6 speed. And hopefully buying used' all the faults would be worked out of it by now.

Good luck, but I can tell you it is a very frustrating road to go especially if the dealer you bought the headache from bails on you and treats you like a leper which is exactly what mine did.

The dealer had a brand new. 3 year old old truck? If it was a used truck, why was it etraded in? 

4 hours ago, Canyon Conundrum said:

Let me throw this out there-does anyone have the 8 speed transmission with out any issues?

Thanks

Your question will only hit people that belong to this forum and are reading this thread.  Not really the audience size you are hoping to reach.