Interior door panel peeling

So I noticed my driver door soft touch vinyl was discolored and it was a very thin layer peeling off in spots.  I tried touching it up but just made it worse and finally bought a new door panel.  Then today wiping the inside with damp micro fiber there was a small spot on passenger side also fueled off. After I wiped it the water made it flake off even more. I never used any harsh chemicals just 303 protectant and McKee’s interior cleaner which is water based. It’s a tinted transparent film that’s is peeling off leaving a different shade of grey/ black.  So far dash and back doors are ok.  

Is there a known problem with the vinyl on these trucks?  I don’t want to spend another $350 for a door panel. Can the vinyl be redyed?

I was wondering if this is a build up of dash protectant over 4 years since when I wipe with a warm damp microfiber it turn milky except the section that peeled off.  So I decided to scrub the entire panel and as soon as it turned milky it just peeled off super easy.  It is black underneath where it peeled off and looks nice and matte finish like it did new.  Could this be possible the vinyl protectant built up or did I just peel off a layer of vinyl. It was a super thin layer and was black tinted but I have never had anything like this happen before it occurred on the soft padded vinyl on both front doors. The lower hard plastic nothing comes off

Bet it is the 303 - tried a bottle of it and was not impressed.  I use Meguiar's #40 once every 3 months if that - there is such a thing as over maintaining.

81PTFfJqPaL__SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Krusty

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2018 at 6:16 PM, Payton34 said:

Is there a known problem with the vinyl on these trucks? 

that's a pretty general question, I've had my truck for almost 3 years now but haven't seen any problems with the vinyl.  Even my jump center console's vinyl where I usually put my arm on.

No problems for me, off course I just use wet microfiber towel to wipe it down every few weeks or when I do a car wash.

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...