Work truck to something better

I am thinking about buying a 2018 Silverado. Debating what would be better for me.. I love the redline edition trucks but want to mod it some(upgraded mylink hvac, ltz light,etc...)and I feel like I shouldn’t pay all that money if I’m going to change things. Or can I take a work truck and add all the things I want to it? Or do I need to at least start with an LT to do all these upgrades?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

figure you can spend the extra money with all the options you want.. or keep what you have.. and spend all the money for the extra's you want.. plus the time..... .. they are giving those trucks away right now.. i'm sure you can find a stellar deal man!... get you a new one!

Try and find a Redline LTZ.  Or an LT Redline with leather.  You can get nav from the factory in an LT.  WT will have less off for starters, then you have to spend $$$$ to get it to the higher trim appearance.  You don't want to spend the $$$ to get the truck you want, but then you are willing to spend the $$$ to dress up a WT to the truck you want, or an LT to LTZ. 

If it were me, I'd try to get the Redline LT with nav and leather, or a Redline LTZ.  Better act quick too as 2018 is the last model year you will find a Redline in for now. 

1 hour ago, newdude said:

Try and find a Redline LTZ.  Or an LT Redline with leather.  You can get nav from the factory in an LT.  WT will have less off for starters, then you have to spend $$$$ to get it to the higher trim appearance.  You don't want to spend the $$$ to get the truck you want, but then you are willing to spend the $$$ to dress up a WT to the truck you want, or an LT to LTZ. 

If it were me, I'd try to get the Redline LT with nav and leather, or a Redline LTZ.  Better act quick too as 2018 is the last model year you will find a Redline in for now. 

Yup...I agree!  Act now because the one you want most likely will be gone in couple months and the deal? 

• Like 1

Better poke around on this site for the “upgrades” you would want to do. Some stuff you can do easily, some stuff can be done but it’s either very time consuming and/or expensive, and some stuff just can’t be done period. Some guys have found this out the hard way and are now living with regret, the K2s aren’t like the older generations of trucks where IMO most of the “upgrades” were rather simple. And don’t expect your stealership to be much help GM has put the lock down on any “upgrades” that are not listed in the accessories catalog.

The General has said if you wanted it you should have bought it that way...

When I bought my 015 LT All-Star with all the extra crap I didn’t want and still don’t use it was cheaper with the incentives than ordering a W/T with the few options I did want and then still would have had to added some that only come on LT/LTZs anyway. The other plus in my situation is the LT will be worth more if I was to trade/sell it in the future.

I try to buy the trim level and options that I want, rather than mod the truck later to get them. Don't get me wrong, I love to mod my truck (Supercharger, water/meth, etc.), but you gotta think about how much your time is worth. Each mod requires LOTS of research and time (reading forums, watching videos, asking questions, comparing prices, etc.). Each mod also has some sort of hiccup to deal with (which usually costs more money and time). Finally, you won't get to all of the mods you actually want to do...just like that thing in your house you promised to fix or paint =)

I agree buy something with what you want, I tried to upgrade a elevation and it turned out to be much harder than I thought.
but if you can’t find what you want they are still making k2s but they have no real discounts

They are being named Silverado 1500 LD and Sierra 1500 limited so if you can’t find what you want you can wait for those “2019s” to go on sale.

94e6fb744c89329da1c5baef3755cfba.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Get the options that you want from the get-go homey.  I've got the W/T with the upgraded convenience package so it comes with a few thing but not much.  A lot of the stuff I want to do like add power folding mirrors, upgraded speedometer/steering wheel, etc. aren't just plug and play.  You have to see if you can get the dealer to reprogram the BCM to accept the additions and half the time, they've never done something like that so they have no clue if they can or not.  Hell, just adding an aftermarket radio was a pain and a half...

My theory is not to buy the cheapest truck possible and try to customize it to your liking, it is to buy the nicest most comfortable truck you can safely afford and be as happy as possible at that given moment and slowly pick away at the custom touches you really want. You can put lipstick on a pig, but at the end of the day it is still a pig; or you start with a model and add her makeup as you go.  

• Like 3