New Rear end-16k miles-6.0 4.10

My ‘17 cc 2500hd with 6.0 and 4.10 rear is currently on week two at the dealership awaiting a rear end replacement.  Not here to vent about the dealership-they have been very courteous and professional so far, obviously it is something covered under warranty.  

My my main reason for posting is to ask if anyone else has had similar issues with low miles (mine just turned 16k), and/or subsequent failures after a repair/replacement.  I had enjoyed the truck thus far, but my confidence in its ability to last, and also occasionally tow 4000lbs with far less than max payload in the bed, has diminished to near zero at this point.  The failure occurred while I had just shy of 4K hitched to the truck and probably 1800lbs in the bed, plus me in the driver’s seat-far below what the truck is rated to do.  

I can sell sell or trade it without taking much of a hit financially, and am seriously considering it.  I’d be interested in hearing your opinions/experiences with this or similar issues.

The 10.5 AAM/14 bolt rear end has been in use since the early 70s and I feel a pretty solid axle. We use the same/similar ones in our rock crawlers with 40"+ tires and give them a beating with few problems. What actually failed in yours?

I completely understand your frustration and concern but don't throw the baby out with the bath water. 

It is an imperfect machine made by imperfect people. Parts fail prematurely. Just a fact. Don't worry, she'll be fine. 

• Like 2

According to the svc Dept and the photos I was shown, the pass side rear hub bearing broke loose, damaging the threads on that side and damaging that side of the rear end assembly in general.  The truck was making a deep roaring sound at certain speeds that was quickly getting worse, loud enough to drown out the radio at normal volume.  

No confirmed date as to when parts parts will show up to fix it....apparently it’s a backordered piece or is otherwise hard to come by from the supplier.  

18 minutes ago, 2011Chevy said:

According to the svc Dept and the photos I was shown, the pass side rear hub bearing broke loose, damaging the threads on that side and damaging that side of the rear end assembly in general.  The truck was making a deep roaring sound at certain speeds that was quickly getting worse, loud enough to drown out the radio at normal volume.  

No confirmed date as to when parts parts will show up to fix it....apparently it’s a backordered piece or is otherwise hard to come by from the supplier.  

Axle hub nut retainer failed. 

#17456: Customer Satisfaction Program - Rear Wheel Hub Nut Loose - (Jan 29, 2018)

Certain 2017 model year Chevrolet Suburban, 2017-2018 model year Chevrolet Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD vehicles may have a condition in which the rear wheel hub nut could become loose due to the rear wheel hub nut retainer not being formed properly. If the hub nut loosens, the StabiliTrak message may be displayed in the driver information center (DIC) and the traction control indicator may illuminate, axle fluid may leak from the axle seal area, and rear axle housing damage could occur.

Replace the hub nut retainer. Inspect the axle tube threads for damage and repair if necessary.

Last I knew they were sending letters to affected customers to have this done.  We had one truck before this "satisfaction program" that had the same thing happen to you.  

I wouldn't lose any confidence.  The 10.5" is a tank.   

26 minutes ago, newdude said:

Axle hub nut retainer failed. 

Last I knew they were sending letters to affected customers to have this done.  We had one truck before this "satisfaction program" that had the same thing happen to you.  

I wouldn't lose any confidence.  The 10.5" is a tank.   

That’s very helpful info, thank you.  I’ve never before seen that bulletin....seems like I should’ve been notified of that on my 2017 model.  That is exactly what has happened with mine.

2 hours ago, 2011Chevy said:

That’s very helpful info, thank you.  I’ve never before seen that bulletin....seems like I should’ve been notified of that on my 2017 model.  That is exactly what has happened with mine.

Usually GM campaigns are all tied to a VIN.  If it applied to your truck, the letter would look like this:

Customer Notification

USA & Canada - General Motors will notify customers of this recall on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter included with this bulletin).

Export - Letters will be sent to known owners of record located within areas covered by the US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. For owners outside these areas, dealers should notify customers using the attached sample letter.

February 2018

This notice applies to your vehicle, VIN: ____________________________________

Dear General Motors Customer:

We have learned that your 2017 model year Chevrolet Suburban, 2017-2018 model year Chevrolet Silverado HD or 2017-2018 model year GMC Sierra HD may have a condition in which the rear wheel hub nut could become loose due to the rear wheel hub nut retainer not being formed properly. If the hub nut loosens, the StabiliTrak message may be displayed in the driver information center (DIC) and the traction control indicator may illuminate, axle fluid may leak from the axle seal area, and rear axle housing damage could occur.

Your satisfaction with your 2017 model year Chevrolet Suburban, 2017-2018 model year Chevrolet Silverado HD or 2017-2018 model year GMC Sierra HD is very important to us, so we are announcing a program to prevent this condition or, if it has occurred, to fix it.

What We Will Do: Your GM dealer will replace the hub nut retainer, inspect the axle tube threads for damage and repair if necessary. This service will be performed for you at no charge until February 29, 2020. After that, any applicable warranty will apply.

What You Should Do: To limit any possible inconvenience, we recommend that you contact your dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for this repair.

If you have any questions or concerns that your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

Letters would have been sent around February. 

I’ve definitely not ever received any letters from GM pertaining to recalls/campaigns/TSB’s for this particular truck.  

We’ll see what the next 7 days brings in terms of parts showing up, then I’m going to have to have a discussion in regards to how long we (GM and dealer) are going to let a broken down 2017 truck sit in the svc dept that I’m paying payments on.  There has to be a point where they are willing to do something.  They’ve got nearly identical trucks on the lot as we speak, albeit 2018 models.  

Edited by 2011Chevy

Give them a chance to fix it and drive her again. You sound as if you have been happy with the truck so far, let it get repaired and see how you feel later. I went  thru a transfer case bearing replacement early on on my 2015. I was bummed for a bit but that was over 2 years ago and i pull trailers constantly and not a bit of trouble since. 

13 hours ago, crankman said:

Give them a chance to fix it and drive her again. You sound as if you have been happy with the truck so far, let it get repaired and see how you feel later. I went  thru a transfer case bearing replacement early on on my 2015. I was bummed for a bit but that was over 2 years ago and i pull trailers constantly and not a bit of trouble since. 

That’s a valid point.  We will see what happens.  The truck will be put through the same driving/towing conditions as soon as it gets out of the svc Dept as it has since new......but dealer still has no idea when they’ll even receive parts to perform the repair.

• 2 months later...

I had 1300 miles on my 2017 HD when the stability and traction control lights lit  up and I could smell gear oil when I stepped out of the truck. Sure enough what this letter describes is what happened to the passenger side. They replaced the seals and parts, cleaned up the threads that were slightly mared and I now have almost 14,000 miles with no issues. Of course that was back in April of 2017 and no dealers had heard of it then. 

I havent seen seen one of these letters which is strange. I don’t think they checked the drivers side. 

Edited by Midnight Black

• 2 weeks later...