New member in the market for a 2500hd

Hello, 

I am new to the forums and after test driving the 3/4ton series truck from all the major brands, both diesel and gas, I am strongly considering a gently used low mile <50k from 2015-2017 6.0.  it seems with GM you get more truck for the money.  I only tow a 9k boat seasonal, and plan to start renting campers from time to time.  I have read great things about the 6.0 as far as dependability along with their stout drivetrain.  I looked at the 1500 series but feel a 3/4ton would better suite my needs.  I am stepping out of a 99 obs 5.7 1500.  

11 hours ago, i82much said:

wait until next year and buy a brand new, heavily-discounted outgoing model when the 2020 trucks hit the lot.

100% my '16 Z71 LT double door stickered for $50k, purchased for 34k and some change. I couldn't afford not too. 

Edited by jt metal
  • Thanks 1

I want to see what’s on offer for the 2020 HD trucks . I initially hated the 2019 light duty re-design but they are slowly growing on me, especially the Sierras. On the GMC trucks it looks like they didn’t go as extreme on the front end as they did on the Silverado.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Princess_jamie said:

Are the 6.0l HDs with the 6l90 solid 300k mile workhorses.  

I've owned 3 6.0's......all day every day. 

I had one issue....cracked a drum in trans. First year for 6l90. 

All ls based engines I've owned get an exhaust leak at cylinder head, I think. Makes a ticking noise cold. Goes away warm. 

Goal is to have a one time purchase and have it last a long time.  Between farm work, towing, camping, and just driving for many miles with lower maintenance costs.  My 5.7 got the job done but as far as towing, I wish I had a little more plus the transmission heated up towing the boat back and forth.  I did have to put helper coilovers in it towards the end of it's time.  My grandfather keeps trying to talk me into a Duramax.

3 minutes ago, Princess_jamie said:

Goal is to have a one time purchase and have it last a long time.  Between farm work, towing, camping, and just driving for many miles with lower maintenance costs.  My 5.7 got the job done but as far as towing, I wish I had a little more plus the transmission heated up towing the boat back and forth.  I did have to put helper coilovers in it towards the end of it's time.  My grandfather keeps trying to talk me into a Duramax.

I would love to own a Duramax. Very refined product. Most of the time I need a 1/2ton. 

For how much I would use the diesel, just couldn't make it work, dollar wise. 

8 hours ago, KMGZ400 said:

as others have said, I would wait for the new body style to come out and get a heavily discounted pre 2019 truck, I bought one of the last GMT900 trucks when the K2's came out, got it for over 11k off sticker.

I may just do that.  The old half ton on the farm will have to do for another year.  It's just really tempting.  I like all the modern features and the stance of the 15-19.  And if everyone speaks the reliability and low maintenance costs of the 6.0/6l90 then I'm not going to argue results.  I honestly don't trust any other automatic than the ones GM uses.