Please help 2017 silverado shutting down at highway speeds very dangerous

Guys,

Im having very bad problems with my 2017 silverado 1500. About a month ago the truck started shutting down at highway speeds and has happened numerous times since. The truck looses engine power, power steering and all dash lights. Service stabilitrak and service theft deterent system warning lights keep popping up when this is happening. This happened to me in downtown chicago in rush hour and almost got me killed. I have had to the dealership 3 times and they have pretty much called me a liar. I have called gm and started a case with no help. I cant even get the rep to call me back.

The dealership is trying to buy back truck for 18k less than what i paid?? Im so upset with the situation does anyone have any advise. I want to talk to an attorney but I don't know if its a waste of time? Im afraid to even drive the truck.

Vehicle Info:

2017 Silverado LT (Midnight Edition)

5.3 engine

30k miles 

Bought August 2017

What codes were found when scanning the truck? Why didn't they let you drive it, or have one of their mechanics drive it home with the flight recorder installed so they could actually see whats going on.I would check all battery cables and ground connections to start with. The battery cables are a source of problems on these trucks.Bad grounds can drive even seasoned mechanics crazy.

I had similar issue with my '17.   GM bought back.  Issue stemmed from a water leak.  Antenna and windshield.   The computer is on the driver floor board area.  Fried it.  Truck would do all you mentioned and also change Into 4 wheel drive at various times.   Have dealer pull up carpeting.   I had mold as well.   (odor finally explained!).  

My 2007 had this issue where I'd be driving and it seemed like I'd lose all electrical for a split second.  Then it'd stumble back on, full of lights.  Several times the truck would not start until I'd go 'wiggle' the battery cables.  The dealership could not ever duplicate this issue, despite the fact it would not start in the service bay until we wiggled the cables.

Anywho, after 2 or 3 times they unhooked and checked all battery cable connections.  It never did it again after this point; I probably had the truck another 7 or 8 years after that.  I'm convinced it was a bad ground that got accidentally fixed during that last service.  I stopped going to that dealer, even though it was only 1 mile from my house.  

I had the exact same issue with my tuck. It supposedly never happened to the dealer, but I made enough of a fuss that they addressed the issue. I spent the first year I owned the truck in owners provided by the dealer. They finally found the problem, a loose ground at the main negative battery terminal. The dealer replaced the cable and terminal and all has been fine since. 

It took forever for the dealer to take any action and I felt they were dragging their feet so I contacted a lawyer to see if I had a case. My truck was purchased used, so I didn't qualify for Lemon Law, but I did qualify for a breech of warranty case. Several months later and with ZERO cost to me I ended up with a nice cash settlement for all of my troubles. So yes, contacting an attorney can be very beneficial for you. I tried to let GM make it right, but the customer service reps would never call back when they were supposed to and they never offered any sort of solution beyond "bring it to your local dealer and have it checked out". Your issue definitely sounds electrical, and it can be solved it just takes some patience and perseverance. It's worth noting, never get mad at the dealership. Treat them with respect and always be polite yet firm, otherwise there is no way they will ever do anything for you.

Similar symptoms for me on a 2012 Suburban, fix was to replace ground battery cable, grind down connection points, and lather up with dielectric grease. Problem stopped for over 60k miles. Seems water and wetness had corroded the connection points and likley the inside of the cable. They won't give me the old one, but they said it was "crunchy". Good luck. I hate electric problems.

On 9/27/2018 at 8:26 AM, tbarn said:

"The" computer? Has many computers.

No clue what computer it was... lift up the carpet and you will see.   I didn't care much to know what one it was to be honest.   Started when I was stuck in a tight parking spot (one of the few times I pulled forward into the spot) and it would not shift out of 4WD.  Had to google how to rest and sit there for 30 minutes.   Then random times I'd lose some steering... the last draw was when I was on the highway in a construction zone that has 1 lane each way with cement walls... lost power (reduced power mode) and stabilatrac disabled...  6-7 times to dealer in 4-5 weeks.   Each item the mechanic found water under the carpet and/or mold etc.. They bought back and now in a '18.   The '18 had the SAME water issue after 2 weeks.   Finally got them to replace and seal the antenna and pull and reinstall the windshield.   Not a drop since.  (Oct'17 until now).

I will add... if you search the forum several had a loose ground cable tot he CPU under the hood (not sure what one... but the search function should show results.   I recall seeing pics as well.   I searched stabilitrac)