Proper usage of Tow Mirrors

Hi I just installed the tow Mirrors and I have debates with my other friend on how to set them and use them. Each had his own way and thought would ask the experts.

they way I set it up is the upper mirrors for the normal everyday riding and the lower one is for the wide angle showing the rear tires for the that tight corners. The issue with this approach is that the objects in upper mirrors are so close and the blind spot is huge.

my friend is keeping the above for towing only and depend on the lower one for the everyday driving 

I use mine similarly.  Top glass normal driving/towing mirrors.  Bottoms set to just to the bottom of the rear tires.  I find there to be no blind spots with the way I have them set.  I back into every spot so they help for parking too.

• Like 1

Same here.  Top is for everyday driving and bottom is pointed at the rear tires.  

Using the driver side as an example, the top glass is angled outward until the body of the truck just disappears off the right edge of the mirror.  This way I know the edge of the mirror is the truck and I can see the entire next lane in the upper mirror.  The lower portion is angled so that I can see the bottom of the tire in the lower left and some of the lane next to me in the rest. When a car leaves the upper portion of the glass, I can see the bumper and headlights in the bottom until the car is next to me.  There is a moment of overlap when I can see a car in both mirrors.  I set up the passenger mirror similar, but the top glass has to be angled out a bit more since it is just a flat piece of glass, not convex like regular mirrors. Zero blind spots in either mirror, and like mentioned, makes backing into spots with and without a trailer a breeze.

When the tow mirrors are extended out, I just need to angle the upper glass inward slightly and the bottom is automatically focused on the trailer tires instead of the truck tires.  Same principals for view and blind spot.

Edited by Kubs

Mirror adjustment is critical.  Many of us who have driven windowless vans know how fun it can be changing to the right lane in heavy traffic with a mirror out of whack!  I wish to add that I always try to supplement my well adjusted mirrors with good old fashioned shoulder checks.  Most who have driven for a while can remember a "where the hell did he come from??" moment.

Hey guys, I just installed my tow mirrors as well. Seems like the top one is set close to the side as mentioned. But the bottom one seemed like it needed to be up a bit to cover the blind spot. But now I'll have to check and see if my rear tire is visible. Thanks for the expert advice, I do like backing into parking spots rather than putting the bed of the truck into traffic before you can even turn your wheel.