2016 - Trans Temp Sensor

8 hours ago, 616truckguy said:

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I have a 2016 Sierra 5.3L 8Speed and it is shifting hard in low gears. Just brought it in to the dealer and they said the trans temp is bad and is affecting the electronic shift adapt. They said a new trans temp is NOT covered under power train warranty. 

Welcome to the site!

Where are you mileage wise?

You can open a claim with GM customer service to see if they will offer assistance on the repair cost.

On 9/17/2019 at 11:12 PM, JimCost2014 said:

Welcome to the site!

Where are you mileage wise?

You can open a claim with GM customer service to see if they will offer assistance on the repair cost.

Thanks! 

I'll have to look into that!

It just hit 90,000 but I recently bought it from a dealer that certified it so I get 3 months of power train warranty. They said power train only covers internally lubricated parts.

7 minutes ago, 616truckguy said:

Thanks! 

I'll have to look into that!

It just hit 90,000 but I recently bought it from a dealer that certified it so I get 3 months of power train warranty. They said power train only covers internally lubricated parts.

You may have to remind them that the transmission is full of internally lubricated parts. Lol

• 3 months later...

I've got the P0711 code on mine now too.  Search led me to this thread.  My truck is a 16 model with 63k miles on it.  I've recently had the 18 NA 355 trans flush done and now this is popping up on it.  I did find this video on Youtube that goes through it.

• 4 months later...

Is everyone having the internal connector wiring harness replaced at the same time with the trans temp sensor wiring harness? Dealership wants to do both. Says pip5700c bulletin requires it? I haven't seen the bulletin myself.

17 yukon denali with 60000 and I'm starting to get the history intermittent trans temp code p0711

• 3 months later...
On 5/22/2020 at 7:10 PM, OzarkStout said:

Is everyone having the internal connector wiring harness replaced at the same time with the trans temp sensor wiring harness? Dealership wants to do both. Says pip5700c bulletin requires it? I haven't seen the bulletin myself.

17 yukon denali with 60000 and I'm starting to get the history intermittent trans temp code p0711

I know this is an older post, but I had both replaced.

The reason I came back to this is because I got a letter in the mail from GMC about being reimbursed for this repair.  Luckily I kept my dealer receipt on this and I have mailed it in for the reimbursement.  The total price I paid for the labor and parts was just under $400.

I'll update again if/when they send me a check.  It was a pleasant surprise actually.  I guess I'll see if they follow through.

• 4 weeks later...

2016 GMC Sierra 1500 All Terrain Package.  Had the 8L90 transmission flushed 3 times now because of "Torque Converter Shudder".  The first two times were under warranty, and were before the new fluid was released.  Flushed a third time in March, about 7 months ago, after warranty was up with new fluid.  Shudder issues were resolved but now have the P0711 code coming up.  On the phone the dealer said the temp sensor harness needed replaced and that it would cost around $525.  Called the GM customer service number because I'm sick of dealing with this transmission.  They said there were giving my case to a senior advisor and I would hear back in 1-2 days.  Paid to have the third flush done (around $300) plus my time to keep going to the dealer and taking off work to do so.  Tired of everything to do with this transmission.  Hoping GM will pay for a new harness.  Will update with results.

• Like 1

I have the garbage 8 speed in my 5.3L Silverado and it has been horrible since day 1.  Vibrating and slamming gear shifts both up and down but not all the time and usually only when cold.  (It is especially well behaved if a GM tech is driving to diagnose!) ? Its been flushed and reprogrammed several times with no help.  Last winter on a very cold day (-20F) I was running with the DIC set to trans temp just on a whim and noticed it read just 2 dashes for 5 miles or so then really erratic when it did read. I thought it was weird but hell the trans wasn't acting any worse than usual so what the heck.  So Recently, I see this issue with the temp. sensor on the 8 speeds and it all makes sense now.  I have been watching the trans temp much more closely now and it seems to read pretty stable when temps are summer time warm like 60 and above but the colder it gets the worse it performs and the more temp readings bounce. Now I know why this trans has been so horse sh**t and of course it's not covered for the 5.3L engines.  GM is losing me with this truck I think.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just had the two codes show up today and just got off the phone with the dealer.  My truck (2016 all terrain 5.3L) is not covered.  Was looking forward to the release of the "refreshed" 2022 tomorrow but thinking I might start looking at Rams.  This truck and transmission is why GMC is the fourth popular truck.  Frustrating to say the least that they can f*ck up a transmission so badly and just walk away from it and leave so many people hanging.  Rant over.....

Is there any programming or calibration that has to happen if I replace the sensor myself?  thanks 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 6:59 PM, cjmiller said:

Just had the two codes show up today and just got off the phone with the dealer.  My truck (2016 all terrain 5.3L) is not covered.  Was looking forward to the release of the "refreshed" 2022 tomorrow but thinking I might start looking at Rams.  This truck and transmission is why GMC is the fourth popular truck.  Frustrating to say the least that they can f*ck up a transmission so badly and just walk away from it and leave so many people hanging.  Rant over.....

Is there any programming or calibration that has to happen if I replace the sensor myself?  thanks 

Have you gotten your answer on this? I just replaced my sensor and no programming was needed.

• 10 months later...
On 9/27/2022 at 7:10 PM, Denalisierra16 said:

I have the 2016 5.3L Sierra Denali and this code just popped up I tried to find the part 24297369 but I keep seeing discontinued. Is there an updated harness #?any help greatly appreciated this truck(transmission)has been a nightmare. 

2015 Silverado 6.2 8 speed

That part number does not seem correct. I had the same issue and changed the harness myself. I had purchased the harness on eBay using part number 24298757. This part number is the split harness, only the bottom half. You need this sensor, pan gasket24260071  and filter 24274402, all available on eBay or Amazon. You also need up to 8 quarts of MOBIL 124715(blue label) from Rock Auto or other retailers. Rock Auto seems cheaper. Several youtube videos on how to do it.