17 Silverado U1510 fault code

Got a baffling issue going on.   Couple of days ago the check engine light came on with a 2017 1/2 ton Gas Silverado.    Had a dealer trouble shoot it to run the codes.   It is a communications fault and comes up U1510.    They want the truck for a couple of weeks so they can trial and error a connection or wire issue.   I am reading on-line a LIN communications break down is somewhat common,  maybe with the ECM,  the BCM or other module such as the HVAC.   Anyone seen a common issue with these newer 1/2 tons that can prevent a trial and error approach by the dealership.   I don't really want the truck dismantled while they trial and error the connections.

Thanks!

Disconnecting the battery negative cable for 30 seconds would be my first step to see if it comes back.

My truck set a code twice that was a lost communication with the transmission. Don't remember the number.

The first time it went away the next day.

The second time, about a year later I cleared the code with a cheap program I run on a lap top.

Then I disconnected wiring harness connectors and reconnected them for the transmission. The truck was not running and the key was off.

It hasn't returned in 2 years.

I wouldn't panic unless it's having problems.

Easy to re-connect the harness connectors like I did to help with a quirky connection.

IMO with the computers today a slight voltage drop can cause a code. 

:)

• Like 1

"U" codes are usually a bitch.

One or more of these systems or any wire/terminal

K9 Body Control Module Lost Communication with B67 Ultrasonic Intrusion Sensor / B165 Content Theft Deterrent Sensor Module on LIN Bus

K20 Engine Control Module Lost Communication with M96 Active Grille Air Shutter Actuator / M60A Active Grille Air Shutter 1 Motor Module on LIN Bus

K33 HVAC Control Module Lost Communication with A26 HVAC Controls / A20 Radio/HVAC Controls / P17 Info Display Module on LIN Bus

K33 HVAC Control Module Lost Communication with A34 HVAC Controls – Auxiliary on LIN Bus

K39 Liftgate Control Module Lost Communication with K171 Hands-Free Liftgate Sensor Control Module / S45A Liftgate Control Switch – Exterior on LIN Bus

K160 Brake System Control Module Lost Communication with B80 Park Brake Switch on LIN Bus

P16 Instrument Cluster Lost Communication with S70D Steering Wheel Controls Switch - Right Upper / S70R Steering Wheel Controls Switch - Right on LIN Bus

Thanks.   Yes I did the battery disconnect and after a couple of restarts it comes back.   Same thing with disconnecting the Engine Control unit,  the dealer suggested that was where they thought the issue may be.   But it comes right back as well.   I was in the high water late last week and the transmission connection may be an opportunity the check out.   This truck is a 2017 MY.     Thanks for the response.

On 10/24/2018 at 1:14 PM, Joel Kingston said:

Called the dealership back and they seem to recall it was a U1510 K20

Hi, Joel. I hope your Silverado is running smoothly. Otherwise, feel free to send me a private message, if you’re considering visiting your servicing GM dealership in the near future. Thanks!

Anthony J.

• 2 weeks later...

All corrected now.   As tbarn mentioned it turned out to be this as the issue.   Not covered under drive train warranty, but after the replacement of the air shutter actuator and a re-flash (due to a steering disabling fault) all good now !  Thanks

U 1510

K20 Engine Control Module Lost Communication with M96 Active Grille Air Shutter Actuator / M60A Active Grille Air Shutter 1 Motor Module on LIN Bus

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a 2018 sierra 1500. Its putting up codes U1510 lost communication with device on LIN Bus, B1065 04 audio output 5 circuit. I have cleared the codes and they keep coming back. Any advice on where to start. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/6/2020 at 5:20 PM, Stephen1991 said:

I have a 2018 sierra 1500. Its putting up codes U1510 lost communication with device on LIN Bus, B1065 04 audio output 5 circuit. I have cleared the codes and they keep coming back. Any advice on where to start. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

I have the Exact same issue with mine. Some of the guys that posted previously seem to have a solution for a 2017 Gmc half ton that may work. He mentioned the K20. check it out above.

• 1 month later...

Hey there, I have a 2017 GMC sierra 1500 with the 5.3L. Im also getting the U1510 code and want to fix it myself but I dont know where to start. When I unplug the battery it goes away but after one start it comes back. The truck functions fine so its not an issue with anything vital to the trucks operation clearly but i want to get to the bottom of this. 

• 2 months later...