Spark Plug/Wires Replacement

Just changed mine out at 108k miles.  They didn't look too bad.  I replaced them with OEM.  OEM wires also.  Ill tell you one thing, I’m glad I did passenger side first.  Drivers was a breeze after that.  Regardless, none of it holds a candle to my moms 07 Highlander with the transverse V6.  That thing was a nightmare.

Edited by CapitalTruck

Plugs can go a long time.  100k is an average time to change and what GM states needs to be changed.  As for plug wires.  You really don't need to change them out unless there is an issue.  They can last a long time on a stock engine.  Now if you do a lot of mods and turbo or supercharge then it is wise to upgrade the wires.

Just changed mine out at 108k miles.  They didn't look too bad.  I replaced them with OEM.  OEM wires also.  Ill tell you one thing, I’m glad I did passenger side first.  Drivers was a breeze after that.  Regardless, none of it holds a candle to my moms 07 Highlander with the transverse V6.  That thing was a nightmare.
Do you have to go in from below the truck at all?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just now, desim8a said:

Do you have to go in from below the truck at all?

No, they can all be taken out from top.  The passenger side is tough at times due to the AC.  The back one by the fire wall that is.  The rest are easy.

• Like 1

I always do wires because I figure, what the heck, its every 100k miles.  Plus, I end up twisting the snot out of them to get them off.  These are not hard plugs to change.  Dont mess with the gap on the iridium plugs, regardless of what any manual says.  Leave them be.  At least if you use OEM plugs you know youre in good shape.

• Like 1

The OEM is 35.00 for all 8qty.  the plugs get chucked on mine @ 80K  the wires too since I am already there...I don't take plugs to 100K or wires until they look like shit.  I also don't take my tires to the steel belts but I am not 20years old either with nothing but a pot to piss in?

12 hours ago, desim8a said:

Any other good tips like which extensions and swivels are ideal to have before starting the job?

a 3inch extension and normal spark plug socket worked good for all but the pass side rear. the 3inch was to long and no extension was to short wish I had a 1 1/2 extension. I had a spark plug socket with a built in swivel that worked for me.

• Like 1

Great tip, thanks a lot. I have the 3 inch but I'll pick up either the swivel socket or 1.5 extension.

a 3inch extension and normal spark plug socket worked good for all but the pass side rear. the 3inch was to long and no extension was to short wish I had a 1 1/2 extension. I had a spark plug socket with a built in swivel that worked for me.