Caster and Alignment Question - Make it fit

dab86

Hello,

Question regarding alignment. Does adding more positive caster (within specs) allow for more wheel clearance at the back fender?

I remember reading tacoma owners pushing the caster more positive in order to move the tire away from the rear fender for more clearance.

Any insight on this?

thanks! 

Yes it does. However it isn't that simple as the caster is measured in the travel so it would be different between a lifted or a lowered truck. I feel I'm explain it bad. Think if the upper a-arm is 12" farther back at full compressed suspension or very lowered truck the tire would be jammed up into the top back of the fender. Now at that same spot move the a-arm forward 12" or more you would see the tire center in the wheel well opening then more to the top front of the fender. so ride height and tire size first then change suspension. Less caster or -0 is a different shock fell as the tire goes over the bump vs. pushed back. So up down vs pushed back than rebound forward. Gas mileage and resistance as well. You will see the drag racers and road cars change to extreme settings for same reasons. 

My tires are huge! and I rub top and back as well. 295/35/24 and 3/5" lower Issue is inner wheel well carpet is mounted to flexible brackets vs. body. In the back of the wheel well is the worst the body is 1/2" father back then the mount and that would be more than I need to clear. Some people just swap screw for a sheet metal and push it threw the body to suck it in.