Rear window leak

Demon

Well mine was not done Friday and advisor said gm would not authorize them to replace my back window, they have to try and seal it now a third time. Probably won't get it back until Tuesday which will be 31 days out of service. It is an easy lemon law case. Just not sure if I want go through that then be left back at square one having to buy another new truck. I have also noticed my 8 speed shifts much worse than the loaner 19 they gave me, so I'm thinking their might be something wrong with tranny too. Just don't think I can bring myself to buy a Ford. Probably wait a few months and do lemon law and get a 2020 with a 10 speed and tow mirrors and hopefully not a leaky rear window

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I brought mine in this morning to get repaired. The drip was pretty steady in the rain. Got it back tonight around 5pm EST was informed there was a service bulletin for the rear window leak and they applied seam sealer on the whole top of it. I was very skeptical at first and didn’t think it was going to work but I took the truck home anyway. It’s now 8:40 and absolutely pouring out. I sat in my truck for 5 min and couldn’t find a single leak or any moisture so I am content with the fix at the moment. We will see how long this will last. 
I believe the GM bulletin calls for it to sit 24 hours to cure the sealer, I'm surprised you got it back the same day.

I’ve Got a 2018 Gmc and am on the second leaking sliding rear window. The first time when they were replacing it I asked if it replacing with a solid could be done, was told I couldn’t because it would set off the body controls module?? Can anyone confirm if removing the slider will affect anything?? I have never used mine and like the look of the solid window better not to mention no leaks is a bonus.

On 8/11/2019 at 8:07 AM, ShamrockShooter said:

I believe the GM bulletin calls for it to sit 24 hours to cure the sealer, I'm surprised you got it back the same day.

Yeah I was too. My dealership seems to be pretty good. He told me procedure was to re seal first and then worst case scenario replaced the whole window assembly. I believe the dealership has alot do with how bad this experience can be. Some dealers are alot worse than others unfortunately. 

Yeah I was too. My dealership seems to be pretty good. He told me procedure was to re seal first and then worst case scenario replaced the whole window assembly. I believe the dealership has alot do with how bad this experience can be. Some dealers are alot worse than others unfortunately. 
I would have them define how many attempts to reseal before replacement. I'm on attempt 3 and they still won't authorize it.

Just now, ShamrockShooter said:

I would have them define how many attempts to reseal before replacement. I'm on attempt 3 and they still won't authorize it.

I have had a couple good rain storms since the fix and I am currently having no moisture or leaks anywhere.. Time will tell though 

I have had a couple good rain storms since the fix and I am currently having no moisture or leaks anywhere.. Time will tell though 
1st attempt lasted 1 day, second attempt went 3 months, then started leaking again. Water always finds its way.

Man, this thread is scary!  Mine goes in tomorrow morning.  For those that have had this done, is this like a major surgery type deal.  I'm hesitant to let them break open my truck!  Yes, I understand that it leaks, but damn!  I hope they can put it back together right.  I have the hard GM tonneau cover.  Will they have to take that off to work on my back glass?  Pre-surgery nerves, I guess!

Robert

27 minutes ago, lebag335 said:

Man, this thread is scary!  Mine goes in tomorrow morning.  For those that have had this done, is this like a major surgery type deal.  I'm hesitant to let them break open my truck!  Yes, I understand that it leaks, but damn!  I hope they can put it back together right.  I have the hard GM tonneau cover.  Will they have to take that off to work on my back glass?  Pre-surgery nerves, I guess!

Robert

I wouldnt worry about it too much. Anything they damage they are responsible for. If this is the first visit, they just pop off the spoiler and put some sealer on the top edge of the glass. 

• Thanks 1

Robert
I removed my hard tonneau before it went in so they wouldn't have to and scratch it up. Also if your headliner didn't get wet and stained it should be minor. Mine got soaked and left water stains so they had to remove front window to replace headliner. They will pull headliner down to get to the bolts to take off third brake light spoiler to get access to the top of the back window. They will likely fill the top of the window channel with some sort of sealant.

Watch out for greasy fingerprints on your headliner and chips or scratches in the third light spoiler or roof of your truck.

Gm won't replace the window or the seats or carpet unless yours is really serious with mold. Believe me I tried.

Keep track of every conversation with date and time. It will be handy if you get to a lemon law situation like mine.

• Thanks 1

Update:

Shop verified that it was leaking and discovered they didn't have the required sealant in stock.  They called me to come pick it up and they'd call me back in a week when the sealant gets there.  And so it begins...

42 minutes ago, lebag335 said:

Update:

Shop verified that it was leaking and discovered they didn't have the required sealant in stock.  They called me to come pick it up and they'd call me back in a week when the sealant gets there.  And so it begins...

If you have an RV store near by perhaps you can find some putty tape for a temp seal around the window. It removes easily and "might" seal well enough to get you by.

https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-BT-1834-1-Butyl-Seal-Tape/dp/B001FCB4JS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=Q9SDNXZELETV&keywords=putty+tape&qid=1565733491&s=gateway&sprefix=putty+tape%2Caps%2C222&sr=8-3

Edited by DaveInPickerington
  • Thanks 1

Update:

That's not right. Your truck should be parked inside and have them give you a loaner. Unless there is zero chance it will rain. You don't want a water damaged interior.

Day 32 tmrw. Was told they were replacing rear third brake spoiler which has not arrived yet. I'm guessing there was so much sealant from the second attempt a few months ago they probably destroyed this one prying it off the truck. Guess I'll have to try and find out why it was needed as I have not heard anyone else having the third brake light spoiler replaced.