6.0 vs 8.1

The 8.1's are few and far between around here.....

So I'm contemplating a 6L Vortec instead...as long as it has the 6-speed tranny.

Now obviously, the 6 won't have as much torque and HP as the 8.1 but any 6L owners out there; how does it tow? 
Our trailer is only 5000 lbs but there are a LOT of hills between here and where we go...I was able to tow with my old F350/460 ci and 5-speed manual, but it was a chore.

I have a 2011 2500hd. 6.0 6L90 4x4. My truck is lifted 8 inches on 37s and I tow a 34ft travel trailer plus equipment and gear, I’m looking at around the 10k mark. Pulls good, not great because I still have 3.73 in it. Average 8mpg with wind behind me. But with 5k you’ll tow great. My truck basically will tow anything I hook up too. When I swap gears to 4.88 I’ll be golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear these voices!
When all is said and done...I'll still be shopping for an 8.1. But it's good to know that the 6 will handle the load, if I can't find one.

Went to look at an '05 8.1 the other day....what a rust-bucket! And the owner insisted it "needs nothing".

Sure, other than new brake lines...every bolt in the frame...suspension brackets...fuel tank...........................

Edited by Qwazert

2 hours ago, casey.mikl said:

I have a 2011 2500hd. 6.0 6L90 4x4. My truck is lifted 8 inches on 37s and I tow a 34ft travel trailer plus equipment and gear, I’m looking at around the 10k mark. Pulls good, not great because I still have 3.73 in it. Average 8mpg with wind behind me. But with 5k you’ll tow great. My truck basically will tow anything I hook up too. When I swap gears to 4.88 I’ll be golden.

Ow, lol. My truck with 4.10 growls with 10k behind it.

OP, if you're after an 8.1, you'll only find it in the older 99-06 body style(s). And if you settle for a 6.0, but need the 6 speed, you'll have to look for '07 and newer.

1 hour ago, carkhz316 said:

OP, if you're after an 8.1, you'll only find it in the older 99-06 body style(s). And if you settle for a 6.0, but need the 6 speed, you'll have to look for '07 and newer.

Yeah...I'm OK with that.
There's an 05 in the area with the 8.1 and 5-speed Allison...hasn't moved in months, hopefully I can probably wait a bit longer. Our gas prices are a bit insane right now so nobody really wants a 10MPG monster (or so you'd think).
Quite a few 6L's to be had...I don't really need another truck until February or March. Have to sell this Duramax, first.

Ow, lol. My truck with 4.10 growls with 10k behind it.

Yeah at 70 it searches between 4th and 5th. About 2500rpm in 4th around 1800 in 5th. It will never go into 6th when towing because of the gears. When I go to 4.88 it will be basically be like 4.30 with the tires. So little higher than factory means. But will be good. The 6.0 is stout. It will do anything you want. There’s a massive aftermarket support for the 6.0 Ls and the 6L90 becyaee they are a common swap in basically everything.

Nice....

So what is the life-span of a 6L...are there many beyond the 200,000 mile range?
I realize that a lot of it has to do with maintenance and so forth, but some engines just seem to last forever.......

Mine is at 102k. I got it with 82k. I barely drive it anymore, just on trips basically. With maintenance and taking care of it, there’s plenty over 200k closer to 300k. I personally had a 2005 1500 with 5.3 that had 280k on it before getting rid of it. And didn’t get rid of it because of mechanical issues. Truck was great, ran awesome. It leaked oil, but it was old and high miles, it’s expected. I could jump in that truck and drive it anywhere no issue. The 5.3 and 6.0 are basically same motor in nature. Both LS based. The 6.0 replaced the 8.1 if that tells you anything from Chevy end. There’s a lot of commercial companies that used the 2500 Chevy with 6.0 that tow heavy loads basically to stay away from diesel prices. I have never had a mechanical issue with my truck. I have an exhaust leak that’s starting at the manifold. But that’s it. Gas mileage isn’t great, no gas truck pulling a load is. But it will work and keep taking it no issues. Plus I believe parts may be a little easier to get for 6.0 vs a 8.1 being that they are a little more common.

A bit of research, and I've answered my own question! 

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/autoshows/chicago.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2010/Feb/10chicago/0210_vortec.html

"The Vortec 6.0L features a cast-iron cylinder block, aluminum heads and variable valve timing. It was developed for heavy-duty applications and has undergone the most rigorous lab- and road-testing process in small-block history. It is validated to achieve 200,000 miles of operation in typical applications."

• 2 weeks later...

OK... I'm definitely a newbie when it comes to GM trucks because I've been driving Toyotas and Fords since the 70's but now I have picked up a 2009 Z71 4wd 2500 mostly because of the cabover slide in Lance camper that it came with.

I am falling in love with the truck but I have almost no idea what I've bought.

How can I tell whether I have a 6.0 or 8.1 motor?

How about what transmission I have?

Rear end axle ratio?

Sorry for all the newbie questions but I looked around and didn't find an FAQ that would help me.

*** EDIT ***  OK... I found a link that told me to check the 8th digit of the VIN code and it's a K which I guess means it a 5.7L small block 350ci engine. Can someone please tell me where to find more information on this motor? Everything I've found so far doesn't even mention it being produced as late as 2009 so the confusion mounts. I'd like to know HP and Torque and other specs as well as information on how reliable it is etc. 

*** EDIT #2 ***  The confusion continues... I got on NADA Guides dot com and they say the motor that comes with my pickup is the 6.0L and it has a 6 speed transmission. So now I am once again confused. Is it a 5.7 Liter or a 6.0 Liter? The plot thickens.

TIA

Edited by LDHunter

You can either take the vin to a dealer, and ask for a build sheet (they may or may not give you one, and may or may not charge you for it), or you can decode the RPO codes on the sticker in your glovebox.  Those 3-digit codes detail what options GM installed in your truck.  It's useful to keep this list handy when buying parts for the truck as well, as some parts vary depending on what options your truck has (brakes, transmission oil lines, alternator are just a few things that vary depending on what options you have).