Another tick thread. 2015 5.3L Ecotech

I have read through many pages covering the topic and am sort of comfortable thinking the tick is normal. Sounds like the cold start valve tick on my 2005 5.3l vortec, but the new truck only ticks once it is warmed up. When the engine is cold, it is whisper quiet. Also, I understand the DI will cause some noise, but my objection to that is my 2008 Cadillac 3.6L DI engine does not make any noise like my truck, and they are both DI. I watched a couple videos with a vacuum pump, and it does not sound like that at all. I cant hear the noise when in the cab, no oil is being burned, just annoying and worry -some. I know several people with this generation truck and they aren't anywhere near as noisey as mine. Bought the truck used and has 102k mi, 2015 Silverado 1500.

I have read through many pages covering the topic and am sort of comfortable thinking the tick is normal. Sounds like the cold start valve tick on my 2005 5.3l vortec, but the new truck only ticks once it is warmed up. When the engine is cold, it is whisper quiet. Also, I understand the DI will cause some noise, but my objection to that is my 2008 Cadillac 3.6L DI engine does not make any noise like my truck, and they are both DI. I watched a couple videos with a vacuum pump, and it does not sound like that at all. I cant hear the noise when in the cab, no oil is being burned, just annoying and worry -some. I know several people with this generation truck and they aren't anywhere near as noisey as mine. Bought the truck used and has 102k mi, 2015 Silverado 1500.
The high pressure fuel pump is capable of making a loud tick also, similar to what a blinker relay sounds like, except it is observed outside of the vehicle rather than in the cab. Some dealers have replaced noisy HPFPs and others have said it “normal” for the truck.

What oil is in it? Perhaps it’s not to spec and once the oil warms up it’s becoming too thin. I had a non-dexos (Mopar) 0W-20 added to my truck by the dealer I bought it from with 65k on the odometer. The only reason I know what they used is because after ~1k miles I was 2 quarts low and the engine was noisy, so I called the dealer to ask. An oil change quieted everything down considerably and minimized consumption.

Has it always ticked like this since you’ve owned it? If not, anything notable cause it to start (winter temps, etc...)

It has always ticked. I noticed it when I went to look at the truck, and he said it was normal for this truck and that many had the same noise. I didn't research it, but now after looking in to it, I would have considered it normal. The more I drive it, the more it is gnawing at me. Isn't getting any worse.

I will have to check in to the oil, I know it was changed just prior to purchase, but didn't inquire as to what was used, doubt they would know either as it was a small lot, not a dealer. What is the correct oil to put in? I will have it changed in the spring, storing it for the winter, and make sure it is the correct stuff. Maybe it is the wrong weight oil, it seems odd that is only when warmed up, sounds great on cold starts.

1 hour ago, brinkkl2000 said:

It has always ticked. I noticed it when I went to look at the truck, and he said it was normal for this truck and that many had the same noise. I didn't research it, but now after looking in to it, I would have considered it normal. The more I drive it, the more it is gnawing at me. Isn't getting any worse.

I will have to check in to the oil, I know it was changed just prior to purchase, but didn't inquire as to what was used, doubt they would know either as it was a small lot, not a dealer. What is the correct oil to put in? I will have it changed in the spring, storing it for the winter, and make sure it is the correct stuff. Maybe it is the wrong weight oil, it seems odd that is only when warmed up, sounds great on cold starts.

Not odd, that cold oil consistently is thicker until warmed up. As for the right oil...well that’s a whole different beast lol. Many swap to fully synthetic some a full conventional and yet others gonfor the blended. I still have the factory oil until I can get to that (knee surgery recovery at the moment) but plan on going full synthetic AMSOIL.

8 quarts of 0W-20. Doesn’t matter if it’s synthetic or blended, the only requirement from GM is it must be a Dexos rated oil. Dexos is a set of standards an oil must meet to be licensed as Dexos. Not all 0W-20 is Dexos. The Mopar oil I had in my truck was the correct weight but not Dexos and the truck didn’t like it at all.

A lot of guys like Mobil 1. It’s kind of the go to oil since it can be had for very cheap with rebates and is Dexos rated. Middle of the road oil as far as quality. Not bad, not great and certainly will do the job oil is supposed to do if you regularly change it.

Some premium oils like Amsoil Signature Series are not licensed as Dexos but Amsoil states it exceeds the requirements to obtain Dexos licensure. Lots of guys swear by it. I’m impressed with how low it’s volatility is for such a thin oil.

Valvoline Advanced is a full synthetic Dexos oil with very good wear properties and relatively inexpensive at $50 for 10 quarts. It’s higher in volatility so you will likely need to add a quart or two between oil changes. Oil consumption is pretty common in these trucks.

Redline has been used successfully by a lot of guys with Hemi engines to quiet down engine ticking. Only down side is it’s expensive.

So many other great options out there.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:46 PM, brinkkl2000 said:

like this noise,  the dealer told me it was the HPFP and it was normal,  makes me wander because they already replaced the left side lifters because of the noise and now that the noise is back they're blaming the fuel pump.  I cant even find the dam pump to listen to it. 

tic.MOV

On 12/10/2018 at 2:46 PM, brinkkl2000 said:

I have read through many pages covering the topic and am sort of comfortable thinking the tick is normal. Sounds like the cold start valve tick on my 2005 5.3l vortec, but the new truck only ticks once it is warmed up. When the engine is cold, it is whisper quiet. Also, I understand the DI will cause some noise, but my objection to that is my 2008 Cadillac 3.6L DI engine does not make any noise like my truck, and they are both DI.

The older Vortec engines used an iron block. That makes a big difference when it comes to noise. This engine uses an aluminum block that tends to transmit noise and makes everything more audible.

The reason your 2008 Cadillac 3.6 DI engine doesn't make any noise is because GM engineers used a LOT of noise insulation on the engine. The engine in these trucks have nothing. These engines are just as noisey as Ford's Ecoboost 3.5/2.7 and 5.0 Coyote. Even Toyota's DI engines sound like sewing machines.