14 Silverado 200k preventative maintenance

Hi Guys,

I'm not a huge motor head, but I change my own oil and like trying to troubleshoot/fix things on my own before going to shop-hard to do with all the computers at times.  I recently purchased a 2014 Silverado DoubleCab with the 5.3 in it.  Previous owner was a guy running a territory and was looked over every 7,500 miles/things replaced when they needed to be.  It currently has 193k miles and I was curious on some things I could be doing as preventative maintenance to keep this truck running clean for a while.

Couple things I have in mind are plugs and tranny flush (know there are plenty more to do) but I'm not super sure on mileage of when they are supposed to take place.  Let me know what you guys have done with your experience...  Thanks!

Truck.jpg

• Like 1

Often time the brake fluid is overlooked. I flush mine every two years but it can be a little tricky with the ABS system on the trucks. For fuild the first stuff that comes to mind is engine oil, transmission, coolant, differential fluid  and brake fluid are a good start for fluids.

I think Ignition coils are 100K service item, but they may have changed that on the newer models. Someone will know more on that.

You also have an air filter and possibly a cabin filter.

Shocks are struts very on the truck. I just changed mine at 150K and the old shocks were still functioning as they should.

• Like 1

Mikebtte covered it.

Coolant is one along with brake fluid that gets overlooked.  When was the last time the serpentine belt was changed?  Couldn't hurt to change it along with the AC belt.

You also should have two grease points on the outer tie rods. 

So basically since you purchased it used, I would go through all the fluids and filters.

How do the tires look?   Front end alignment?  Keep an eye on the tires. 

• Like 2

Is your goal to do all the maintenance or parts replacement so you have as dependable a truck as possible?

Get an owners manual.

Maintenance schedule in the owners manual and start checking things off.

:)

• Like 3

Before you change the transmission or flush it, see how dirty it is. If it's really dark brown and burnt smelling I would not recommend changing it since your transmission is burned out. Transfercase fluid gets neglected a lot too so check how thick that is if you have 4 wheel drive. Definitely flush out the radiator fluid. I recommend getting a blaster that you hook up to the garden hose and the air compressor to force out any gunk that has built up over the usage of the fluids. As others said, brake fluid. Change the front and rear differential fluid (front only applies if you have 4 wheel drive). Change the spark plugs if they have not been done already, they are rated for 100k and make sure you replace with iridium plugs. As others mentioned inspect all of the belts on the truck, there are 3 (one long belt for your water pump, crank, alternator. Another belt for just the air compressor and another belt for just the vacuum pump). You can change them all at home but I recommend a belt installation/removal tool for the stretch belts that you have on the air compressor and vacuum pump.

A small point I like to make every year is to clean off the carbon buildup on the back of the throttle body and if it's a little dirty clean the MAF sensor. I always remove the throttle body and MAF from the truck when I clean them up.

• Like 1

If the previous owner was having it serviced at the Stealership or if you don’t know for sure I would email [email protected] with your VIN and ask for the service records for said vehicle also for the build sheet while your at it (don’t cost nothing). I did this awhile ago to get my build sheet (this gives you all the RPO codes along with build date ect.) and they sent me all the service records for my truck the first time had to re-email them to get build sheet. I didn’t need the service records for mine since I bought it new and also didn’t know they even do this but will be handy if I sell/trade someday it does show services with date/mileage (mine only showed the “free oil changes” but shows other services) warranty claims, title status, body work, service contact info, OnStar/XM info, RECALLS preformed, CELs, and applicable warranties obviously your factory warranties are spent but might be warranted parts that were installed? Not sure if parts warranties are transferable? This info might give you some insight into what has been done and when IMO no need to go changing a bunch of newer parts for no reason. Recall info would be nice to make sure your all current on those theres been a handful on the 014/015s such as seat belt anchor drivers side, Airbag reprogram, transfer case shift module reprogram, and EPS reprogram so kinda some important ones...

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, wforrest08 said:

If the previous owner was having it serviced at the Stealership or if you don’t know for sure I would email [email protected] with your VIN and ask for the service records for said vehicle also for the build sheet while your at it (don’t cost nothing). I did this awhile ago to get my build sheet (this gives you all the RPO codes along with build date ect.) and they sent me all the service records for my truck the first time had to re-email them to get build sheet. I didn’t need the service records for mine since I bought it new and also didn’t know they even do this but will be handy if I sell/trade someday it does show services with date/mileage (mine only showed the “free oil changes” but shows other services) warranty claims, title status, body work, service contact info, OnStar/XM info, RECALLS preformed, CELs, and applicable warranties obviously your factory warranties are spent but might be warranted parts that were installed? Not sure if parts warranties are transferable? This info might give you some insight into what has been done and when IMO no need to go changing a bunch of newer parts for no reason. Recall info would be nice to make sure your all current on those theres been a handful on the 014/015s such as seat belt anchor drivers side, Airbag reprogram, transfer case shift module reprogram, and EPS reprogram so kinda some important ones...

Great information. I always wanted my service records if available. I'll use that email address provided and see what I get.