Messaging App

Sent an e-mail to the execreferral address and got a call back saying the messaging app was removed due to bugs and lack of use. I complained that you are advertising the app, dealer said it was available when i purchased the vehicle April 4th. Told me sorry but nothing they could do.

Lo and behold yesterday the app showed up in available apps, downloaded, installed and works as expected. Maybe a change in GM's direction?
When did they ask for vin in the process?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I sent it to them in my initial email 
Thanks. They called me and stated he would send along to another part of team to see if they can push the software. Did also state that android auto and apple car play are preferred options for texts, in addition that the app will not be available after model year 19.

27 minutes ago, carlosh said:

Thanks. They called me and stated he would send along to another part of team to see if they can push the software. Did also state that android auto and apple car play are preferred options for texts, in addition that the app will not be available after model year 19.

Well looking forward to the Android Auto update this summer, bc there isn't a messaging or Whatsapp option there currently other than voice activated. 

Well looking forward to the Android Auto update this summer, bc there isn't a messaging or Whatsapp option there currently other than voice activated. 
I agree. That was one of my talking points with the gentleman from GM. I stated that android auto messaging was inadequate and that's why I preferred the app.

I lost my messaging app as well.  I emailed 

[email protected] as well as other emails I found online on May 9, 2019.

I received a voice mail on May 10 stating they would call me back on Monday.  

Today I checked the apps on the vehicle and saw a new app called Messages.  Not the same name or icon as the previous app.

Downloaded and installed.  Works so far and has all the messages on my phone.

Hope everyone has access to it, but not sure.

thanks for the help.

I too sent an email to the address provided earlier in this posting.  I received a call the very next day, and 4 days later my messaging app was loaded into my app store!  All is working well!

I also inquired as to if they could push the newest infotainment version to my truck, but that hasn't happened as of yet.  I'm expecting a call from them today!

• 1 month later...

Thank you THANK YOU for the folks who documented this. I'm happy to report that I now have the messages app on my 2019 Volt with the infotainment 3 system. (I know it isn't a truck, but I did have a LMM Duramax for years when I had a toyhauler.)

I tried calling OnStar, they were clueless. One email to [email protected] did the trick. About 2 days later I get the following email:

We understand how important it is for you to have access to all of your Onstar services. We apologize for the inconvenience. We have exhausted all attempts at resolving this issue through our channels. Please visit your dealer to have this issue resolved. 

I will contact you when more information is available.  If you have additional questions or concerns, we can be reached at the number listed below.

Thank you,
Connie 
OnStar Connected Vehicle Support
Phone Number: 1-888-4ONSTAR     1-888-466-7827

==================================================
This is an unmonitored mailbox – Please do not reply to this communication

Sounds bad.. but once I went to the app store on my infotainment screen, low and behold, the messages app was there! Yay! It was the only thing about the new infotainment system that I missed from my 2016 Volt.

Again.. THANK YOU!

5d13b0d94de1b_2019-06-2610_51_18-Photos.thumb.png.b296221a11ba64ea873ccf0a7313a893.png

21 minutes ago, teksavy said:

Thank you THANK YOU for the folks who documented this. I'm happy to report that I now have the messages app on my 2019 Volt with the infotainment 3 system. (I know it isn't a truck, but I did have a LMM Duramax for years when I had a toyhauler.)

I tried calling OnStar, they were clueless. One email to [email protected] did the trick. About 2 days later I get the following email:

Sounds bad.. but once I went to the app store on my infotainment screen, low and behold, the messages app was there! Yay! It was the only thing about the new infotainment system that I missed from my 2016 Volt.

Again.. THANK YOU!

5d13b0d94de1b_2019-06-2610_51_18-Photos.thumb.png.b296221a11ba64ea873ccf0a7313a893.png

do you have to be subscibed to onstar to get the app?

This thread helped me so much and many fellow Volt owners were asking me how I did it, I decided to post a how-to guide (without having to scroll through this thread) as well as an FAQ section to help people find everything they need in one place:

How to get the messages app on your GM Infotainment 3 system

Full credit given to @Rocz3cqg who cracked the case on this one. Thank you!

-Ed

Edited by teksavy
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...