EcoTec3 4.3 V6 Towing

I have a 2019 with the 4.3L and believe it or not I put a gooseneck hitch in it. I have a tractor that weighs about 6000 pounds and the trailer itself weighs about 3500 pounds. Normal driving it was fine it struggled going up hill obviously and takeoffs were slow but just be easy on the pedal and let the truck do it’s thing. The biggest hill I went up was about 1/4 mile long and it’s pretty steep at the bottom of the hill I was doing about 50mph by the time I got to the top it was around 35mph. After almost an hour drive in about 90 degree weather the transmission temp was I think 215-220 degree which was my biggest concern but surprised me overall how well it did considering I was more than 1 Ton over the rated limit for this truck 

Edited by Browe

• 9 months later...

My boss has a 2014 crew cab with the longer bed option and 4.3L.  He loads the truck up with his family, and tows a ~3,500 lb travel trailer.  He said it is a much better experience than the minivan he towed with previously (obviously).  It gets the job done, and he is happy enough with the power.  He does not regret his engine choice.

When I was shopping, I was open to the 4.3L, but no dealerships seemed to have them on the lot.  So, I happily took the 5.3L, which has more than enough power for my needs. 

If your gonna tow with the v6 I would only use a 5th wheel set up for a trailer. i know a guy who did this regularily  every month with an 18 foot camper 5th wheel. but he had the manual transmission so heat was less of an issue for him.  you will have to install the kateck175 thermostat, and do all the transmission upgrades first  to to keep your 6 speed alive

if you can , try and find a 3.75 rear end from a wrecking yard that came out of a WT model. or a Z71 of similar year

there is one way to install the Camaro SS manual box into our trucks, but I doubt anyone here is motivated to try it.

Edited by flyingfool

I have a 2017 4.3 4X4 and was wondering the same thing.  Might have to pull a 5000 lb trailer.  Do these trucks in the WT format have a transmission cooler?  It has those louvers in the front that open and close but I can't see in there.  No trailer towing towing package so I doubt it.

Jim

Edited by jagabom (Esquire)

It should.

Just look at the radiator on the drivers side, there should be two metal lines going into. Or just crawl under the truck on the drivers side, the transmission cooler block with the two lines is on that side about half way up the transmission near the front.