Winter question

Kc4O

I see a lot of trucks with the grill covers on them. Where I am it gets down to single digits at times. Should I get a cover? And what’s the purpose? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Kc4O said:

I see a lot of trucks with the grill covers on them. Where I am it gets down to single digits at times. Should I get a cover? And what’s the purpose? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, damnthetorpedoes said:

Our trucks also have active aero that closes off the majority of the radiator when its cold. Not sure why diesel truck haven't adopted this yet since they operate better in the cold when the radiator is blocked off. 

Yes and no, I think their main function is for aerodynamics:

Active Grille Air Shutter Description and Operation

The active grille air shutter system closes shutters in the front grille to enhance vehicle aerodynamics in driving situations where cooling and A/C loads are relatively low and high levels of front end airflow are not required. If high levels of airflow are required the active grille air shutter system will open one or both shutters. The control signal from the engine control module, ignition and ground circuits enable the active grille air shutter actuators to operate. If the conditions for opening the shutters are reached the engine control module commands the active grille air shutter actuators to open one or both shutters.

4 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Yes and no, I think their main function is for aerodynamics:

Active Grille Air Shutter Description and Operation

The active grille air shutter system closes shutters in the front grille to enhance vehicle aerodynamics in driving situations where cooling and A/C loads are relatively low and high levels of front end airflow are not required. If high levels of airflow are required the active grille air shutter system will open one or both shutters. The control signal from the engine control module, ignition and ground circuits enable the active grille air shutter actuators to operate. If the conditions for opening the shutters are reached the engine control module commands the active grille air shutter actuators to open one or both shutters.

Still confused how that same function wouldn't be beneficial/take the place of a winter grill on a diesel truck.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, damnthetorpedoes said:

Still confused how that same function wouldn't be beneficial/take the place of a winter grill on a diesel truck.  

Completely agree, seems like it would be present and manually/auto controlled from inside the cab depending on weather conditions.

-30c for a month straight usually in my area, with days reaching -35c (-31f) BEFORE wind chill, never have I put a winter-front on a GM gas pickup truck. The Duramax's we put them on or they wont stay warm. Monitor your coolant temp. These trucks have a 195F degree thermostat, if your coolant can easily reach and maintain operating temperature, you do not need a winter-front. The only benefit it would have in your climate is helping to keep the sand and salt out of your radiator fins, increasing the life of your coolers.

Edited by L86 All Terrain
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, L86 All Terrain said:

-30c for a month straight usually in my area, with days reaching -35c (-31f) BEFORE wind chill, never have I put a winter-front on a GM gas pickup truck. The Duramax's we put them on or they wont stay warm. Monitor your coolant temp. These trucks have a 195F degree thermostat, if your coolant can easily reach and maintain operating temperature, you do not need a winter-front. The only benefit it would have in your climate is helping to keep the sand and salt out of your radiator fins, increasing the life of your coolers.

You must be in Northern Canada.

With the gas trucks when it's that cold the transmission fluid barely gets above 115 degrees F right? I've noticed that when it's below  -10 F here in Minnesota. 

Now - 30 ,That's cold. 

Edited by dieselfan1

22 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

You must be in Northern Canada.

With the gas trucks when it's that cold the transmission fluid barely gets above 115 degrees F right? I've noticed that when it's below  -10 F here in Minnesota. 

Now - 30 ,That's cold. 

Yes Northern Ontario, directly above Minnesota, further north than GM's cold weather testing facility in Kapuskasing Ontario. My 1500 trans temp runs around 30-50c(86-122F) in the winter depending on how long of a drive and payload. With the wind chill factor we are in the -40c (-40f) range for a couple weeks (right now) through January. Makes things miserable, the big diesel motors don't like to start, brakes on the trucks are trailers are frozen on every morning, air valves on trailers get moisture and freeze up so you are pouring hot water on everything just to make stuff work at the start of the day. All our diesel stuff has winter-fronts, auxillery engine block heaters (Espar/Webasto), plug-in block heaters, DEF tank blankets and heater, oil pan heaters and ether injection(on the older non-common rail stuff). But the gas engines have no issue. I wish all the big US companies like Caterpillar, Kenworth, Cummins, John Deere etc. would design and test their stuff in our climate, I would make for better products and less headaches for us Eskimos.  

Thanks for that cold air you are sending us now.

I'm just N.W. of Minneapolis and we haven't even gone below zero F yet this winter but it's coming in the next couple days. We hardly have any snow either .

The older I get the more I hate winter. Especially since I sold the last of my sleds two years ago.

I just can't see spending $12,000 on a new sled you can only ride for two months . Now if I lived in Upper Michigan that is another story. Id be all over that 850 Polaris.

Edited by dieselfan1

• 1 month later...