6.6 gas

32 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

The 6.6 does not have afm and hopefully never will.  Reliability is a lot more important on the fleet side at least to most companies including mine.  My competition uses Rams that consistently lose camshafts but the cheap trucks match their cheap demeanor lol.  If you think a 6 liter is that awful you really should try a 2500 ram with a 5.7 lol.  This new 6.6 will be a power improvement but with GMs usual tuning don't expect it to be anything like a 6.2 half ton.  

Way to 'Ram home' a point.:cool:

1 hour ago, SierraHD17 said:

The 6.6 does not have afm and hopefully never will.  Reliability is a lot more important on the fleet side at least to most companies including mine.  My competition uses Rams that consistently lose camshafts but the cheap trucks match their cheap demeanor lol.  If you think a 6 liter is that awful you really should try a 2500 ram with a 5.7 lol.  This new 6.6 will be a power improvement but with GMs usual tuning don't expect it to be anything like a 6.2 half ton.  

I just want 6.2 towing performance and fuel economy in a 2500 hd truck. I do realize this will be a heavier truck  than a 1/2 ton so wont perform quite as well, but the 6.0 now does not suit my needs for power and fuel economy. 

Hoping the 6.6 will be the engine to put me in a 3/4 ton. 

I haven't drove a ram 2500, but I do agree on the reliability and will never personally own one due to this. Our company claims the same cost of ownership between ford and gm so those are the choices when it comes time to order a truck. 

Edited by brendon444

You will not get the fuel economy or the performance of the half ton 6.2 truck.  If that's your big go to then stick with the half ton truck. This new 6.6 will be right in the same neighborhood as the current 6 liter for economy with a little better torque curve.  The weight of the trucks alone negates the economy portion of the equation combined with an ever increasing height of stance and the aerodynamics up front of a brick.  Not to mention the same 6 speed trans and a slightly more efficient direct injected engine with its efficiency increase offset by the increase in displacement. 

Performance wise it's an 87 octane tuned 400...... well drive a 5.3 half ton on 87 and then drive a 5.3 even on E85... world of difference in power and goes from a sack to not.  Expect this 6.6 to be a sack lol.  I know you will say something along the lines of "I hope you are wrong" but I won't be.  It's just how the cookie crumbles.

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

You will not get the fuel economy or the performance of the half ton 6.2 truck.

Just out of curiosity (and trying to obtain knowledge):

If anyone has had a 2500HD or 3500HD with the 6.0 gas engine, did you ever measure your MPG?

If so, could you post what you got for your City, Highway, and/or Combined MPG?

17 minutes ago, ApertureX said:

If anyone has had a 2500HD or 3500HD with the 6.0 gas engine, did you ever measure your MPG?

Just go on the 15 and up HD section.  There is plenty of what's your economy oriented posts.  

I have a 15 and no I don’t pay attention to fuel mileage, but since you asked
- Pulling 12000lbs through the Rocky’s 9-10 mpg
- empty highway Cruising 15-16 mpg
- combined city/ highway 13 mpg

You know what amazing me that most everyone say the 6.0 is underpowered, on paper yes but very few realize that means shit.

Grizzlyltz
  • Like 2

It would be fun to put a 6.6 crate motor & 6 speed in my 2002 2500 HD 6.0.  I thought about putting a 6.2 in the truck cuz I really enjoy the one in our 1500.  After 110,000 miles including trailer I've had zero issues with the 6.2.  But I'd think it kick azz to put headers, cold air (no such thing in Arizona) and a tune on the 6.6 to make the 2500 a sleeper.☺

12 minutes ago, grizzlyltz said:

I have a 15 and no I don’t pay attention to fuel mileage, but since you asked
- Pulling 12000lbs through the Rocky’s 9-10 mpg
- empty highway Cruising 15-16 mpg
- combined city/ highway 13 mpg

You know what amazing me that most everyone say the 6.0 is underpowered, on paper yes but very few realize that means shit.

Grizzlyltz

They aren't like the 6.2 half ton is why.  They all want the truck to perform like a sports car not realizing the difference.  I loved it when TFL trucks was bashing the 6 liter for being such a piece of junk and it ate that useless 6.4 Ram on the same towing test hahaha.  I don't really like those guys but that was just hilarious and they stopped yapping in a hurry.  

My 2017 HD is aggressively tuned, yes I run premium fuel only, has a muffler and 4.56 gears with the average 33.5" tall tire.  It's not as "fast" as my 2015 half ton 6.2 was but its actually not a lot slower lol.  Not to mention this truck handles 10000 lbs with relative ease where the half ton felt like it was going to break at 8000 lol.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SilveradoX2 said:

It would be fun to put a 6.6 crate motor & 6 speed in my 2002 2500 HD 6.0.  I thought about putting a 6.2 in the truck cuz I really enjoy the one in our 1500.  After 110,000 miles including trailer I've had zero issues with the 6.2.  But I'd think it kick azz to put headers, cold air (no such thing in Arizona) and a tune on the 6.6 to make the 2500 a sleeper.☺

Retroing a 6.6 or any LT into a GMT800 would be such a nightmare it's not worth it..... I mean even doing a Gen IV LS is awful to keep the truck functional.  

I can't wait for the 6.6 to end up in the wreckers and I will buy a 14-18 half ton to drop one into.  The E92 ecm in the half tons is fully supported and will run the engine just fine.  Think even just a mild cam and headers with a good tune should easily surpass 500 hp and 550 lb ft.  Be a perfect work bagger... it's just a stock double cab 4x4 with a 5.3 right lol.  

The only shoddy thing I see is running out of fuel just like they do know with the blown application direct injected stuff.  Aftermarket still has some catch up to play.  

The reason I asked the MPG question is that my wife and I are looking to buy a 5th wheel RV with a loaded pin weight of about 3000-3100 pounds. The 2020 2500HD wouldn't give me enough payload to pull that, me and DW, and my tools. So I'm looking at the 2020 GMC 3500HD (SRW) with the 6.6L gas. However... This will also be my daily driver as well...... in Atlanta, GA traffic.

The last truck I owned was before the kids came along and it was a 1992 extended cab step side Silverado 1500 with a V6. I'm just trying to figure out how much it's going to hurt when I go to the pump and how often I will need to, even with a 36-gallon tank.

Edited by ApertureX

On e85 city 80% 20% highway 8mpg thats a red light green light every 100'. Fkn hate ny lol. On a good long hwy trip 12mpg. Towing 10k lbs 6 mpg.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

You will not get the fuel economy or the performance of the half ton 6.2 truck.  If that's your big go to then stick with the half ton truck. This new 6.6 will be right in the same neighborhood as the current 6 liter for economy with a little better torque curve.  The weight of the trucks alone negates the economy portion of the equation combined with an ever increasing height of stance and the aerodynamics up front of a brick.  Not to mention the same 6 speed trans and a slightly more efficient direct injected engine with its efficiency increase offset by the increase in displacement. 

Performance wise it's an 87 octane tuned 400...... well drive a 5.3 half ton on 87 and then drive a 5.3 even on E85... world of difference in power and goes from a sack to not.  Expect this 6.6 to be a sack lol.  I know you will say something along the lines of "I hope you are wrong" but I won't be.  It's just how the cookie crumbles.

If this is true then this wont be the engine to get me into a 3/4 ton.   Probably 1000lbs difference between 1500 and 2500, expect better than the 12mpg empty I get currently driving 6.0 trucks. My 6.2 gets 20mpg pretty easily. 

I wish I had the option to build a 2500HD 6.2 with 10 speed. My AFM direct injection engines hold up fine to the abuse I put them through in the past. 

6 hours ago, ApertureX said:

2001 2500HD extended cab short bed 6.0 would get 13-15 combined

2006 2500HD crew cab short bed would get 12 or 13 combined.  For S&Gs on a road trip to ATL from Orlando I did 55 mph, still couldn't hit 15 mpg.  Lowest I've calculated was 8 mpg on a trip to the keys.  That was the only time I remember that truck ever getting close to sitting level.  So I'm assuming we had some weight between the boat, food, and supplies for 4 days.  I think over 10 air tanks plus all our dive equipment too.

I really don't pay much attention to fuel mileage, I've only ever owned hand me down pick ups.  Even in the LMM Duramax I get I get 12-14 mpg.  Doesn't stop me from going on 3,000 mile road trips with it.

You still would not get 20 mpg lol.  Your half ton is likely closer to 1500 lbs lighter, sits way lower to the ground and is all about aerodynamics... plus has like 3.23 rear end gears as opposed to 4.10.  Even the 6.2 would get 12 or 13 mpg in a 2500HD.  Just the way physics works.  

That said you should be able to get better than 12 mpg lol.  I get better than that in my 2017 6 liter HD and that's tuned aggressively, leveled, 33.5" tall tires and 4.56 gears.  I can still get around 14 to 15 on the highway pretty easily... did better when it was stock.

If you are all hung up on great mileage I always suggest normally you drive a car as a truck isn't for you... or you buy a half ton.  

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 1