6.6 gas

1 minute ago, SierraHD17 said:

You still would not get 20 mpg lol.  Your half ton is likely closer to 1500 lbs lighter, sits way lower to the ground and is all about aerodynamics... plus has like 3.23 rear end gears as opposed to 4.10.  Even the 6.2 would get 12 or 13 mpg in a 2500HD.  Just the way physics works

Hey don't forget the 6.6 gasser is going to be soooooooooo much more fuel efficient with the 4.10 going bye bye and only the 3.73 rear end lol :-D

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ApertureX said:

Just out of curiosity (and trying to obtain knowledge):

If anyone has had a 2500HD or 3500HD with the 6.0 gas engine, did you ever measure your MPG?

If so, could you post what you got for your City, Highway, and/or Combined MPG?

I keep gas receipts for every gallon purchased for my vehicles.  Here is my annual calculations (April each year) for 2012 2500 Extended Cab 4X4 6.0 with a 3,200 lb truck camper and towing a 16' trailer with a SXS on weekends.  I have no reason to claim 15mpg, I carry a heavy load that will even bring a diesels mileage down.

2017-2018
4,332 Miles Driven
424.87 Gallons of gas
10.19 MPG
$1,219.25 Total gas expense
$2.86 Avg per gallon

2016-2017
3,786 Miles Driven
378.81 Gallons of gas
9.99 MPG
$1,961.45 Total gas expense
$2.53 Avg per gallon

2015-2016
4,572 Miles Driven
432.11 Gallons of gas
10.58 MPG
$1,133.19 Total gas expense
$2.62 Avg per gallon

2014-2015
4,500 Miles Driven
421.42 Gallons of gas
10.67 MPG
$1,515.11 Total gas expense
$3.59 Avg per gallon

2013-2014 (camper July 2014)
6,557 Miles Driven
581.33 Gallons of gas
11.28 MPG
$2,222.86 Total gas expense
$3.82 Avg per gallon

2012-2013
7,058 Miles Driven
537.22 Gallons of gas
13.13 MPG
$2,133.05 Total gas expense
$3.97 Avg per gallon

DSC_0025.JPG

Edited by MORSNO
Added pic
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, Chevyguy85 said:

Hey don't forget the 6.6 gasser is going to be soooooooooo much more fuel efficient with the 4.10 going bye bye and only the 3.73 rear end lol :-D

Hopefully 4.10 is still available.  But it would be in typical GM fashion to start neutering trucks with higher and higher axle ratios like they do with the half tons.

36 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

You still would not get 20 mpg lol.  Your half ton is likely closer to 1500 lbs lighter, sits way lower to the ground and is all about aerodynamics... plus has like 3.23 rear end gears as opposed to 4.10.  Even the 6.2 would get 12 or 13 mpg in a 2500HD.  Just the way physics works.  

That said you should be able to get better than 12 mpg lol.  I get better than that in my 2017 6 liter HD and that's tuned aggressively, leveled, 33.5" tall tires and 4.56 gears.  I can still get around 14 to 15 on the highway pretty easily... did better when it was stock.

If you are all hung up on great mileage I always suggest normally you drive a car as a truck isn't for you... or you buy a half ton.  

No, it’s 2020. I expect my truck to perform and evolve.  My 1/2 ton is great and am amazed in the advancements made between my 6.2 LS based engine I previously had and now 6.2 direct injection engine. Mileage greatly improved and performance.

Why is it wrong to expect the same out the of the new 6.6. 

The 4.10 gearing comment. That’s why these trucks need a 10 speed. Better overall ratio for highway cruising but still have a lower first gear than the 4.10’s 

You guys are living in the Stone Age. I expect 2500 hd’s To evolve as the half tons did. The 2500hd gas market desperately needed a refresh. Hopefully 2021 gets the updated trans. 

21 minutes ago, brendon444 said:

No, it’s 2020. I expect my truck to perform and evolve.  My 1/2 ton is great and am amazed in the advancements made between my 6.2 LS based engine I previously had and now 6.2 direct injection engine. Mileage greatly improved and performance.

Why is it wrong to expect the same out the of the new 6.6. 

The 4.10 gearing comment. That’s why these trucks need a 10 speed. Better overall ratio for highway cruising but still have a lower first gear than the 4.10’s 

You guys are living in the Stone Age. I expect 2500 hd’s To evolve as the half tons did. The 2500hd gas market desperately needed a refresh. Hopefully 2021 gets the updated trans. 

Then you need the aerodynamics to be there and the weight to drop... and not increase the engine size from 364 cubic inch to 400 without some form of cylinder deactivation lol. Transmission ratios are no replacement either... talking about evolving let's add gear reduction and not try and stay the same all the time. None of us live in the stone age... we just accept physics for what they are and no a 10 speed won't do much for mileage lol.  Just do yourself a favour and stick with a half ton truck.

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 1

Hopefully 4.10 is still available.  But it would be in typical GM fashion to start neutering trucks with higher and higher axle ratios like they do with the half tons.
I don't think it is. Unless I read wrong 3.73 only for the gasser.

Sent from my Find7 using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Chevyguy85 said:

I don't think it is. Unless I read wrong 3.73 only for the gasser.

Sent from my Find7 using Tapatalk

Oh probably.  Since it will make more torque we can cut the gearing back... becasue as I said... never move forward, just try and stay the same lol.

Like the guy saying we are in stone age is a funny comment.  I didn't design and build a brick that gets taller and heavier all the time with about the same aero as a 70s square body.  I didn't design a 400 cubic V8 with nothing special about it beyond direct injection... I didn't cause the transmission carryover.  That's all on GM... direct your complaints at them lol. 

Edited by SierraHD17

8 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

Oh probably.  Since it will make more torque we can cut the gearing back... becasue as I said... never move forward, just try and stay the same lol.

Like the guy saying we are in stone age is a funny comment.  I didn't design and build a brick that gets taller and heavier all the time with about the same aero as a 70s square body.  I didn't design a 400 cubic V8 with nothing special about it beyond direct injection... I didn't cause the transmission carryover.  That's all on GM... direct your complaints at them lol. 

I understand his frustration.  Yet at the same my first hand me down was a '73 c10 reg cab long bed.  8 mpg with a bad carb and 12 mpg after I replaced the carb.  '01 2500HD ext cab short bed 12-15 mpg or whatever it was.  More torque, larger overall, bigger engine and probably 2000lbs more than my c10.  My '06 2500HD CCSB lost a little vs the 01 but also weighed another 500+ lbs probably.  09 almost 8,000lbs as it sits in my driveway and gets the same or better mileage than any of my 3 previous trucks.  Granted it's a diesel so there's that, but at nearly double the weight and 2 extra tires vs my 73 and yet it gets the same or better fuel mileage.  So the market isn't completely stagnant.  People are getting more impatient and want to get there faster and cheaper though.

What I want to know is why there is such a push back on aluminum anything.  Haven't the big rigs been using aluminum blocks and frames for years now?  The trailers too.  If it can stand up to that punishment then why not in the light duty market?  Cost is one reason for sure.  Then again how much more are these 2020s going to cost considering GM is claiming only the roof is shared with the 1500s.  I never cared that the GM twins all looked the same as far as 1500-3500SRW went.  In theory shared parts should have reduced prices, didn't work that way in reality though.

• Like 1

Its funny all the bashing of the 6.0!!  This engine has to be the most reliable HD gas engine in the market.  It out pulled and out performed its competition with less Power. On paper at least. Gets just as good of mileage as any other HD gas engine.

Now lets bash its replacement before we have even get to drive one??   Some more power, Probably a little better mileage and it will still be the Most reliable engine in its class!!  Will Ford put out more power??

Well they sure as F should with a 7.3litres. And if they dont get over 500ftlbs they are going to be laughed at. Fuel mileage?? Not likely!!

Will it outlast a 6.6?? Time will tell.  Will it outpull one? Yet to be determined? Does a gas engine need a 10speed? Not really to much shifting. 

People say fleets dont buy the 6.0 gas engine because of Fuel Mileage?? LMAO.  Look at how many are in Delivery trucks/vans/ busses/ etc etc etc. Heavy Duty trucks are not built to get fuel mileage. At least not yet. The gas engines are meant to last at WOT all day long. 

Should GM have made some more Power with the 6.6? Yes i think so. But its a good revision for little $$ and has potential for more in the future. 

If you want a 7000lb truck to get good mileage? You are in the wrong market/. And Sorry but Diesels dont get great mileage either for the money they cost. 

• Like 6

Its funny all the bashing of the 6.0!!  This engine has to be the most reliable HD gas engine in the market.  It out pulled and out performed its competition with less Power. On paper at least. Gets just as good of mileage as any other HD gas engine.
Now lets bash its replacement before we have even get to drive one??   Some more power, Probably a little better mileage and it will still be the Most reliable engine in its class!!  Will Ford put out more power??
Well they sure as F should with a 7.3litres. And if they dont get over 500ftlbs they are going to be laughed at. Fuel mileage?? Not likely!!
Will it outlast a 6.6?? Time will tell.  Will it outpull one? Yet to be determined? Does a gas engine need a 10speed? Not really to much shifting. 
People say fleets dont buy the 6.0 gas engine because of Fuel Mileage?? LMAO.  Look at how many are in Delivery trucks/vans/ busses/ etc etc etc. Heavy Duty trucks are not built to get fuel mileage. At least not yet. The gas engines are meant to last at WOT all day long. 
Should GM have made some more Power with the 6.6? Yes i think so. But its a good revision for little $$ and has potential for more in the future. 
If you want a 7000lb truck to get good mileage? You are in the wrong market/. And Sorry but Diesels dont get great mileage either for the money they cost. 

Awesome post [emoji106]3915589c168e6f59ea8370616381a8d7.jpg

Grizzlyltz
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, 2016HD said:

"Gets just as good mileage as any other gas HD engine."

Well if you mean some of the worst than sure. Ford's 6.2 will do a touch better, while the Ram 6.4 isn't even close. Guys I know with that engine are 3-5 mpg better than the 6.0 under similar driving. 

The technology and engineering in these trucks has been increasing at an impressive rate, to the point we have 400hp plus gas engines and 6+ speed transmissions, in some cases 8 or 10 speed. Some brands have cylinder shutoff in their HD gas engines. All this combined adds up to increasingly higher efficiency: more and more power on similar or less fuel per hp produced. Yet overall mileage for these trucks isn't getting significantly better, because as stated they have gotten bigger, taller, and heavier. 

Here's a thought: let's make these trucks similar in size to the 2000-2007 GM HD trucks. You know, back when they weren't the size of a 5 ton truck and you could actually reach over the bedside. You can't tell me that, with modern engineering, we couldn't make them that size with the same strength as today's trucks. 

The same thing goes for half tons too, imo. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

No idea what their thing is.  Honestly I think this 6.6 liter engine is awesome but not at all for these trucks.  I want it for other applications but you won't see me running out and buying a 2020+ HD because I see nothing I consider a positive advancement over my 2017.  

I'm "excited" about it because now I have an alternative option when I replace my current truck.  All the emissions BS on the diesel engines today is absurd, as is the cost of replacing/repairing said systems.  Thankfully I don't have to mess with DEF on my truck now, but all the garbage added since '09 is why I'm glad there is an alternative now.  As much as I loved the 6.0s the family has had over the years (5 I think starting with 99) I couldn't justify getting rid of my LMM for a 6.0 3500 for essentially the same towing capacity.  At least now with the 6.6 I get an extra 1500 lbs of rated towing.  Even though I know the LMM will handle 14,500 just fine.

1 hour ago, Chevyguy85 said:

I'm "excited" about it because now I have an alternative option when I replace my current truck.  All the emissions BS on the diesel engines today is absurd, as is the cost of replacing/repairing said systems.  Thankfully I don't have to mess with DEF on my truck now, but all the garbage added since '09 is why I'm glad there is an alternative now.  As much as I loved the 6.0s the family has had over the years (5 I think starting with 99) I couldn't justify getting rid of my LMM for a 6.0 3500 for essentially the same towing capacity.  At least now with the 6.6 I get an extra 1500 lbs of rated towing.  Even though I know the LMM will handle 14,500 just fine.

If I can't tune it and mod it I won't bother and probably look at the 7.3 liter Ford.  Time will tell about what ecm these HD trucks will use and if different than the half tons like the current models then you may never see tuning either.  The only reason the outgoing L96 got support was because its ecm platform is shared with the turbo Cruze lol.. 

For the average guy who dominates this board and this world and has been driving a stock L96 this should be a nice bump in power... mind you the 3.73 thing sucks but it still should feel a lot stronger.  For me....well if I can't tune it I may as well buy the biggest one on the market if I have to drive it as is.  That and this 6.6 I guarantee will not out tow how I have modded my 2017 in stock form in any significant way.  

Just have to see what happens and how it all plays out as right now it's just guessing.  The tune and mod thing will be a couple years away.

Edited by SierraHD17